I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

Taylor is completing 62.1% of his pass attempts. He is completing 22% when targeting Zay. If you removed every pass thrown to Zay Tyrod would have the 2nd highest completion percentage in the league at 71.5%.

LOL! Zay's, ahem, 'contributions' are taking on a life of their own...

I know that. Zay has not been "good"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/10/18/bills-starter-tyrod-taylor-acknowledges-he-can-play-better/106779012/

5]The third-year starter did the math Wednesday, when asked to evaluate his performance through five games.

5]"Right now as a team we sit 3-2," Taylor said. "It's time for us as a team, and time for me as a quarterback to separate from the pack and do whatever it takes to win."

5]

5]

So either he's telling the truth or he's falling on his sword
Of course he is going to shoulder the blame. The reality remains, if every pass attempt to Zay was removed Tyrod's completion percentage would be 71.5%, trailing only Alex Smith.

He is coming from ECU and the American athletic conference. The speed of the game and talent of the players is 50x better.

He caught lollipops for 4 years at ECU and now TT is slinging it to him with zip. He never played against such good competition and he never had to catch a fastball from an NFL QB

This is a huge adjustment

I think it is totally mental. He finds himself open all the time. He is just not catching the ball

The targets to catch stat isn't helpful. What's he supposed to do when five of his targets aren't catchable?

The first pass of the game would have been a tough catch, the defender was right on him. If your going to criticize him on that play, criticize the route.

The one he bobbled was a clear drop.

The deep throw into the end zone, he needs to do better at selling the out route, the LB never fell for that. He still might have had it had he not been tripped up.

Obviously he needs to do better, but you can't just look at 2 catches on 9 targets and make a conclusion about his performance.

I’ll give you this. The quantity of targets is skewed by the lack of quality throws. Tyrod isn’t a pure passer by any stretch and typically late in his delivery. But the numbers aren’t completely false and we aren’t going to be able to trade for Aaron Rodgers.

Zay is hurting the offense when LBs can stay on the field and cover him, while also making it harder to run against.

To the bench.

The quantity of targets is skewed by the lack of quality throws. Tyrod isn’t a pure passer by any stretch and typically late in his delivery.

Some of those targets could have been quality throws for all we know. Jones may not be running patterns as well as he needs to be.

If TT throws the ball before Zay makes a cut--and then he's not in position when the ball arrives--it's Taylor who looks bad. Not saying this happens on the majority of throws, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's also a factor in Zay's struggles...

Last week he was right there to having a big game. If Buffalo is going beat Cinncy he needs to be the guy that steps up and makes the plays. I have faith that he will. Maybe Matthews going down is the best thing for him. If he gets his confidence up this week after the bye with Matthews back they may have a decent passing attack on the outside.

they are both slot receivers . Until we got Deonte, Bills had no speed threat. Kaehlin did not count btw)

Bills are still WCO for the most part.

I just want wins, i do not want to run a farm team at WR.

But wins are coming so i should shut my mouth !!

I retain high hopes for Zay.

Kid is just freaking out when the ball is in the air right now.

I believe he will step up this week as well. Calling it now, at least 7 catches and over 100 yards for Zay.

Bills have not thrown to the WRs 7 times a game much less one of them !!

I like the enthusiasm though :beer:

Some of those targets could have been quality throws for all we know. Jones may not be running patterns as well as he needs to be.

If TT throws the ball before Zay makes a cut--and then he's not in position when the ball arrives--it's Taylor who looks bad. Not saying this happens on the majority of throws, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's also a factor in Zay's struggles...

I think it fair to say these two do NOT have the connection needed to move forward.

Like Badol said correctly, you should not be waiting for him to develop during a drive by tossing him the ball. Bills need every down to succeed. and keep that clock moving. Thats the Offensive design I think.

Chuck one deep for him to keep the defense honest. When they hit on that ? The jitters will go away.

But not when we need the 1st down.

And it has happened. Taylor has thrown to a spot before the break.

Its the connection.

Those two need after school passing and catching sessions

Tyrod needs to keep throwing to Zay. I realize he doesn't trust the rookie as evidenced by the I trust Thompson comment. But the rookie is a current head case and Tyrod can help his confidence by throwing to him. The kid has had to grow up in a hurry and it's a big ask from any Rook WR.

Edited by BeefCurtns

I’ll give you this. The quantity of targets is skewed by the lack of quality throws. Tyrod isn’t a pure passer by any stretch and typically late in his delivery. But the numbers aren’t completely false and we aren’t going to be able to trade for Aaron Rodgers.

Zay is hurting the offense when LBs can stay on the field and cover him, while also making it harder to run against.

To the bench.

I don't think it's fair to say LBs can cover him, that was one play. I remember one play a few years ago when Hughes carried Gronk up the field and caused an incompletion, does that mean Gronk can be covered by DE's?

I wouldn't argue against someone saying Zay is hurting the offense so far.

Lurker brings up a good point about his route running and if he's where he needs to be on these miss throws by Tyrod. I would imagine that would be a big concern from the coaching staff and something he'd get moved down the depth chart for, so for the simple fact that he's still seeing a ton of snaps, it seems like he's doing his job.

If Zay Jones could catch we would be at least 5-1.

Yep. And not for failing to make the catch itself. Nor for his route, though it was bad if a front pylon throw and worse if a back pylon throw. With that play the real problem was Jones had zero idea where the ball was until it was right on top of him. Add just a smidgen of ball awareness then Jones makes a microscopic tweak to his route (whatever it was) and effortlessly scores. That's what receivers are expected to do when they run down the field fifty yards. It's not like a flat out to the sidelines. Watkins would have the catch & TD ten times out of ten. But the Bills need Jones out of his funk for lack of any better alternative. They need his contribution the last half of the season.

Edited by grb

@mikerodak

Of Zay Jones’ 32 official targets this season, 12 have been uncatchable passes from Tyrod Taylor

https://t.co/IIOkjU335z

there is definitely something to that. He and Tyrod are not on the same page yet, which has probably led to some of his drops. I am still a believer that they will click one if these days soon and when they do it will be the start of a great QB/WR pairing.