Thoughts through 2 weeks

Kirby Jackson

I have been in Charlotte for the last few days and haven't been following much on here so forgive me if this is redundant. Just wanted to sum up some thoughts and concerns through 2 weeks.

Good:

- I knocked Poyer when they signed him. So far I look like an idiot. He's been arguably their best player.

- Welcome back 4-3 defense. The DL looks good as to do the LBs and secondary.

- So far I was right, Rex was the problem.

- Team is more disciplined and takes less stupid penalties, waste less timeouts and in general play at a good pace.

- This defense can play.

Bad:

- Playmakers!!! I was right here too (unfortunately). We may have the worst skill players in the NFL. McCoy and Tyrod are the only legit playmakers that we have. That receiving group is worse than even I could have imagined. Gross!!

- People asked "will you win more games with Sammy" as their reasoning for accepting the trade. I will point to Sunday, with virtual certainty and say that he would have been the difference in that game. He would have been the go to guy late.

- Dennison's running game (as uncle Kirby said during camp).

- Castillo vs. Kromer

- Beane's lack of appreciation for speed. I pounded the table that 13+ plays to score isn't sustainable. You need to make big plays sometimes. I'd bet when the season ends that the Bills are bottom 5 in the NFL in plays 50 yards or more.

This team feels terribly boring. I have not enjoyed these 1st 2 weeks. I do like the fact that we are good on defense. They can invest in the offense next year. In general though I would give them a "c" so far. Next week is an opportunity, a winnable game at home. I think that we'd have all been happy with a 2-1 start. Get it done!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of this. Very little to be excited about with this team. They just lack dynamic guys in most areas. I think this defense can play, but I'm not ready to call them a great D just yet. If they can do what they've done thus far or something close to it vs the better teams they have coming up, that will be telling. Especially if the offense continues to flounder and put them in tough spots. I think this running game is going to continue to be a problem if the passing game can't get some things corrected.

@jjones9

The rebuilding Bills aren't tanking, but they know winning will be tough with little production from Shady McCoy

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/19/lesean-mccoy-stats-buffalo-bills

Since trading away Sammy Watkins in August, many assumed this season would be a rebuild for Buffalo. With a first-year (and first-time) head coach, a first-year (and first-time) general manager, a quarterback in whom no one seems invested and a promise of patience from the owner, that seems to be coming true. The team’s biggest star is a 29-year-old former rushing title holder.

There should be no accusations of tanking in Buffalo, but clearly this rebuilding team has only one star on offense. And if McCoy can’t produce, they’ll be heading for that high draft pick in the future.

I have been in Charlotte for the last few days and haven't been following much on here so forgive me if this is redundant. Just wanted to sum up some thoughts and concerns through 2 weeks.

Good:

- I knocked Poyer when they signed him. So far I look like an idiot. He's been arguably their best player.

- Team is more disciplined and takes less stupid penalties, waste less timeouts and in general play at a good pace.

- This defense can play.

Bad:

- Playmakers!!! I was right here too (unfortunately). We may have the worst skill players in the NFL. McCoy and Tyrod are the only legit playmakers that we have. That receiving group is worse than even I could have imagined. Gross!!

- People asked "will you win more games with Sammy" as their reasoning for accepting the trade. I will point to Sunday, with virtual certainty and say that he would have been the difference in that game. He would have been the go to guy late.

- Castillo vs. Kromer

- Beane's lack of appreciation for speed. I pounded the table that 13+ plays to score isn't sustainable. You need to make big plays sometimes. I'd bet when the season ends that the Bills are bottom 5 in the NFL in plays 50 yards or more.

This team feels terribly boring. I have not enjoyed these 1st 2 weeks. I do like the fact that we are good on defense. They can invest in the offense next year. In general though I would give them a "c" so far. Next week is an opportunity, a winnable game at home. I think that we'd have all been happy with a 2-1 start. Get it done!!

Good stuff Kirby.

I too feared in the offseason that we'd be in for a season of boring football, especially on offense. Sunday was borderline unwatchable. The Bills are in the entertainment business and if they're not going to win games (which they're not), they should at least try to look somewhat threatening or explosive. Beane seems to want a team full of Tolberts at every position. I don't know how long I can stand for this.

Good:

- This defense can play.

Bad:

- Castillo vs. Kromer

Winnable for Denver, I assume you mean.

No way we win that game.

I have definitely enjoyed the play of the Defense much more this year than the past 2. If I had to knock them on anything it would be that they seem to allow a lot of 3rd and long conversions to wide open guys who find a soft spot in the zone and sit at the sticks. Now, they have done a good job of tightening up and not allowing scores as well, but the amount that it's stuck out to me is a bit alarming.

The offense looks like a baby deer trying to find its legs. This week they fell flat on their faces.

I5BRLpz.gif

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Good:

- This defense can play.

Bad:

- Castillo vs. Kromer

Nice summary. :thumbsup: I agree with everything.

Biggest 2 problems going forward in my opinion are 1) Lack of big play pass attempts and 2) Lackluster running game

They go hand in hand in my opinion. Gotta fix them both or else Dennison might look like an incompetent jackass by the end of the season.

Good stuff, Kirby. I agree with all of it.

The Watkins trade and the getting rid of TDMike or JWill really irked me because of the playmaker idea. Big plays by talented players win games. Matthews is a very solid possession receiver but not really a gamebreaker. Zay Jones may become one but he is not one. Tolbert should not in any way be a team's backup RB, especially a running team's. Short yardage, goalline, spot fill in? Sure. Guy you give 10 carries to, no.

Combined with Opie's Jauron ball it's a recipe for mediocrity.

Good:

- This defense can play.

Bad:

- Castillo vs. Kromer

So it was you. I was trying to recall who was "the prophet" who said he didn't think much of Castillo's blocking schemes and Dennison's run game.

Winnable for Denver, I assume you mean.

No way we win that game.

It's a 3 point spread or something like that. It's not that crazy. This is the NFL. You can lose 30% of your games and get a bye and you can win 30% of your games and pick in the top 5. There isn't a giant margin between good and bad teams. In general the play across the league has been atrocious.

It's a 3 point spread or something like that. It's not that crazy. This is the NFL. You can lose 30% of your games and get a bye and you can win 30% of your games and pick in the top 5. There isn't a giant margin between good and bad teams. In general the play across the league has been atrocious.

I realize Denver is a different team on the road, but their defense just smoked one of the best offensive lines and rushing attacks in the league, and their QB is hot right now, especially when it comes to picking apart soft short- and intermediate- zones. This is going to be ugly.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I realize Denver is a different team on the road, but their defense just smoked one of the best offensive lines and rushing attacks in the league, and their QB is hot right now, especially when it comes to picking apart soft short- and intermediate- zones. This is going to be ugly.

Yeah, could be. I, however, am not sold on Seimian at all, and Joseph is a first time coach like McD, having to travel across the country. This could be a good indicator of the mettle of the Bills and their new coaches, as well as a true look into their offense. You may be right, it could get ugly. I'm thinking Denver with Siemian is not an elite team.

Yeah, could be. I, however, am not sold on Seimian at all, and Joseph is a first time coach like McD, having to travel across the country. This could be a good indicator of the mettle of the Bills and their new coaches, as well as a true look into their offense. You may be right, it could get ugly. I'm thinking Denver with Siemian is not an elite team.

i agree .. there is no reason that the Bills cant win this game if the D continues to step up.. the Bills O was awful last week.. and if this was last year, with that staff, i would fear the worst.. but the team seems disciplined.. hopefully makes those "adjustments" on the O side.. winnable game

Good:

- This defense can play.

Bad:

- Castillo vs. Kromer

Kromer versus Castillo felt like Henderson versus Thurman (?) all over again.

I get why it happens, but...

I whole-heartedly agree with your diagnosis.

My question now is this: Does McD see and understand the problem with the offense, and does he take an "active" role in getting it corrected? And if getting it corrected might means firing Rico and Castillo, will he have the cojones to do it? If he just ignores the crap show that's the offense and lets it roll along all season, I think he loses a ton of support among the fans, and just maybe among the players too.

Kromer versus Castillo felt like Henderson versus Thurman (?) all over again.

I get why it happens, but...

Couldnt agree more here. It was like, "Mr. McDermott can I interest you in the Kobe Beef Filet?"

"No thanks, I think that I will just have the Spam, preferably overcooked."

Edited by Kirby Jackson