Sammy watch

dave mcbride

It's absolutely a guess. I wouldn't say it's a whacky guess though. They were a legit WR away from beating both Cinci and Carolina, that's a guess yes, but a rather strong guess.

Sammy's history and chemistry with Taylor, new offense or no, makes him far more dangerous than anyone else on their roster currently. If he's in those games, everything on offense goes differently. Especially for #25.

All of this is very fair.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude, you've ALWAYS been an idiot.......that's not likely to change so excuse me if I take your opinion with a :lol: .

The list of people who were dead certain that trading Marshawn Lynch for some magic beans was a good move was LOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG.........and they still have a hard time getting off of that opinion("we had no choice" :cry::cry: ) despite the subsequent championship team Lynch became the identity of.

Same with Peters.

Rather than point out that obvious duo............I just gave you a perfect example of a player that a good organization wanted GONE...........for very real, very bad reasons.......not the subjective or contractual bickering nonsense that the Bills succumb too............but they held on to because they were committed to winning.

You can resort to name calling if you want but I'd match up my hot takes against your new found pile of garbage anyday.

Since we are talking about Watkins let's not forget the guy who linked all the medical reports and said right then that this injury changed his course in Buffalo. Nailed it perfectly.

Also said now that Rex was gone his time was limited here.

Any other major players come to mind? Oh yah how about that to hot to handle Shady radio take you had. The one where Rino wouldn't accept your terms, IIRC I did and you took the bet and lost of course. I never brought it up because you had made an ass out of yourself and it didn't need to be revisited.

What was that bet anyways? User name? In hindsight that could have been fun.

Keep hitching your wagon to Sammy Watkins your credibility will be toast by week 10

Oh yah and while you're at it go find that thread I created about how B.B. screwed the Patriots by trying to make another push with Brady. I referenced all the off-season moves that now look like flops, even the TBD hero Gilmore.

Looks pretty accurate from here yah big dummy. Maybe I'm not good at the name calling. I will leave that part for you.

All of this is very fair.

You are a little slow but you have a GREAT backpedal! :thumbsup:

Watkins gets dealt........WR corps becomes worst in the NFL since at least 2001.

It's not like the Darby trade where the secondary has been very good without him...........you didn't see me complaining about that trade cuz I knew Darby was not a difference maker.........Watkins is SORELY missed.

Btw, what happened to Teeflebees?

Second worst name on TSW behind Magox(wtf is a Magox? Suppository? Rectal tampon?)

And to keep flogging a dead horse, this is the main issue. Why hasn't Sammy been able to command a higher proportion of targets?

On one side of the pole you see a consistent pattern of underutilization across 4 QBs and 4 OCs and attribute it to the changing stage of actors and that being the main reason for lack of consistency. On the other side is the fact that despite his world class talent, 4 QBs and 4 OCs haven't been able to get him more involved in the offense. That is odd, and is not something you would imagine from that talent, because other top WRs have maintained high production across different QBs and OCs.

To be fair he was pretty productive as a rookie (about 1000 yards and half dozen tds) with EJ/Orton and Hackett. Not GREAT but a pretty solid year for a rook

The next year once healthy he was downright explosive with roman and Tyrod

And last year he was hurt.

It's not like it's been quite as erratic or poor as many like to imply. he needs to step up this year but I think there's some wait and see left on how it'll go

You can resort to name calling if you want but I'd match up my hot takes against your new found pile of garbage anyday.

Since we are talking about Watkins let's not forget the guy who linked all the medical reports and said right then that this injury changed his course in Buffalo. Nailed it perfectly.

Also said now that Rex was gone his time was limited here.

Any other major players come to mind? Oh yah how about that to hot to handle Shady radio take you had. The one where Rino wouldn't accept your terms, IIRC I did and you took the bet and lost of course. I never brought it up because you had made an ass out of yourself and it didn't need to be revisited.

What was that bet anyways? User name? In hindsight that could have been fun.

Keep hitching your wagon to Sammy Watkins your credibility will be toast by week 10

Oh yah and while you're at it go find that thread I created about how B.B. screwed the Patriots by trying to make another push with Brady. I referenced all the off-season moves that now look like flops, even the TBD hero Gilmore.

Looks pretty accurate from here yah big dummy. Maybe I'm not good at the name calling. I will leave that part for you.

Yawn.

You're a just a random take-ster who vehemently, unnecessarily denies racism has any impact on the career of an NFL QB.........which is weird/idiotic.

As for Shady........the crux of the issue was that his Eagles contract ran thru 2017.

Wait........that's THIS YEAR.....right?

Bills unnecessarily extended him.

This is the second disappointing season from Shady in his 3 seasons in Buffalo and IMO a lot of that has to do with losing Watkins..........you disagree.......but it is what it is.

To be fair he was pretty productive as a rookie (about 1000 yards and half dozen tds) with EJ/Orton and Hackett. Not GREAT but a pretty solid year for a rook

The next year once healthy he was downright explosive with roman and Tyrod

And last year he was hurt.

It's not like it's been quite as erratic or poor as many like to imply. he needs to step up this year but I think there's some wait and see left on how it'll go

Yeah he was hitting superstar status........how anyone can deny that the way he was killing DB's in his second year..........and then he broke his foot in the offseason.......the healing process unfortunately went to form like it had for Kevin Durant and Julio Jones.........and effectively lost a season.

Got traded to a team late in the process.........has no chemistry with a new young QB on a team with a bunch of decent targets that he DOES have experience with........ and is asked to run a ton of deep routes to open up the intermediate stuff that Goff throws WELL.......Goff does NOT throw the deep ball well.

Tough situation for Watkins but I think ALL the good players the Bills trade away learn that the grass is not ALWAYS greener outside of the Bills organization...........but that's mostly on the Bills for making it look that way with their organizational ineptitude. Outsourcing their lessons has proven very costly for the Bills.

Yawn.

You're a just a random take-ster who vehemently, unnecessarily denies racism has any impact on the career of an NFL QB.........which is weird/idiotic.

As for Shady........the crux of the issue was that his Eagles contract ran thru 2017.

Wait........that's THIS YEAR.....right?

Bills unnecessarily extended him.

This is the second disappointing season from Shady in his 3 seasons in Buffalo and IMO a lot of that has to do with losing Watkins..........you disagree.......but it is what it is.

I figuered it all out. In the past month you moved to Hemet. Congratulations on the new place.

Yeah he was hitting superstar status........how anyone can deny that the way he was killing DB's in his second year..........and then he broke his foot in the offseason.......the healing process unfortunately went to form like it had for Kevin Durant and Julio Jones.........and effectively lost a season.

Got traded to a team late in the process.........has no chemistry with a new young QB on a team with a bunch of decent targets that he DOES have experience with........ and is asked to run a ton of deep routes to open up the intermediate stuff that Goff throws WELL.......Goff does NOT throw the deep ball well.

Tough situation for Watkins but I think ALL the good players the Bills trade away learn that the grass is not ALWAYS greener outside of the Bills organization...........but that's mostly on the Bills for making it look that way with their organizational ineptitude. Outsourcing their lessons has proven very costly for the Bills.

Until Sammy produces at an elite level consistently (meaning over a whole season and seasons), he's not an elite player. You can spin it any way you want, but that's a fact. Talent alone doesn't make you great. And if what Gil Brandt said is true, Sammy likely won't ever be great and yet people will still probably make excuses for him.

As for the other guys the Bills traded, in hindsight Peters was a mistake, but Lynch admitted he didn't act like a professional football player until the Bills traded him and he was a nightmare off the field. Trading him was the best thing for both him and the Bills.

Until Sammy produces at an elite level consistently (meaning over a whole season and seasons), he's not an elite player. You can spin it any way you want, but that's a fact. Talent alone doesn't make you great. And if what Gil Brandt said is true, Sammy likely won't ever be great and yet people will still probably make excuses for him.

As for the other guys the Bills traded, in hindsight Peters was a mistake, but Lynch admitted he didn't act like a professional football player until the Bills traded him and he was a nightmare off the field. Trading him was the best thing for both him and the Bills.

I've said it many times........if your organization is going to repeatedly draft 20 year olds early then you need to expect maturity issues/growing pains and have a plan for dealing with it.

All Lynch and Watkins needed was some strong, consistent leadership and time to mature. Simple as that.

People act like Watkins was some mid-career vet when he broke his foot.......he was 22.......and played for a rudderless, losing organization with no leadership in the WR room..........you can keep outsourcing your lessons(Lynch, Peters, Watkins) at your own rosters great detriment........or you can learn how to deal with talented young human beings and get them to do what you need them to do.

If ownership is going to turn over 3 coaching staffs in that players first 4 seasons then it's on ownership to make sure that talent doesn't end up getting wasted.

I've said it many times........if your organization is going to repeatedly draft 20 year olds early then you need to expect maturity issues/growing pains and have a plan for dealing with it.

All Lynch and Watkins needed was some strong, consistent leadership and time to mature. Simple as that.

People act like Watkins was some mid-career vet when he broke his foot.......he was 22.......and played for a rudderless, losing organization with no leadership in the WR room..........you can keep outsourcing your lessons(Lynch, Peters, Watkins) at your own rosters great detriment........or you can learn how to deal with talented young human beings and get them to do what you need them to do.

If ownership is going to turn over 3 coaching staffs in that players first 4 seasons then it's on ownership to make sure that talent doesn't end up getting wasted.

Teams cannot wait 4 years for 20 year olds to mature, especially when faced with the prospect of having to pay them close to 10% of their salary cap. They made that mistake with Dareus, although in their defense, he was healthy and a 1st team AP All-Pro prior to his contract year.

Sammy is still young and has time to become great. But if it happens, it will most likely be at least with his 3rd team, since I cannot see the Rams signing him to a big-money deal/franchising him, or see him taking a 1-year prove-it deal.

Teams cannot wait 4 years for 20 year olds to mature, especially when faced with the prospect of having to pay them close to 10% of their salary cap. They made that mistake with Dareus, although in their defense, he was healthy and a 1st team AP All-Pro prior to his contract year.

Sammy is still young and has time to become great. But if it happens, it will most likely be at least with his 3rd team, since I cannot see the Rams signing him to a big-money deal/franchising him, or see him taking a 1-year prove-it deal.

Then you shouldn't have drafted them.

Whitner, Lynch, Dareus, Watkins, Kujo........nobody drafts 20 year olds onto their rudderless ship and throws them overboard rather than addressing their own organizational weakness.

Trading Watkins was the EASIEST thing they could do at the time...........ownership and fans are upset with the status quo, that's when you can get away with anything.........getting a hugely impactful season from him was going to take some management and McD wasn't up to that task.

But everyone has a process until they get punched in the mouth.

If they lose either of these two games and the passing game struggles the criticism of their handling of the WR position will continue to mount.........this isn't a minor issue..........least productive WR corps in the NFL to this point in a season in two decades is really saying something.

Whitner, Lynch, Dareus, Watkins, Kujo........nobody drafts 20 year olds onto their rudderless ship and throws them overboard rather than addressing their own organizational weakness.

Trading Watkins was the EASIEST thing they could do at the time...........ownership and fans are upset with the status quo, that's when you can get away with anything.........getting a hugely impactful season from him was going to take some management and McD wasn't up to that task.

If they lose either of these two games and the passing game struggles the criticism of their handling of the WR position will continue to mount.........this isn't a minor issue..........least productive WR corps in the NFL to this point in a season in two decades is really saying something.

You're probably right. Not worth the risk.

You're probably right. Not worth the risk.

Prefer less talented but more polished products?

In its own way extending a GM that likes going high talent with some red flags to maximize overall skill and then firing him for a regime that wants no red flags was a bit akin to the constant 34 - 43 - 34 shifts.

We had stocked the cabinet with a certain type of player and then brought in a guy that was incompatible with those players.

You mean like Zay Jones whose impact has been close to nil?

Are you giving up on him already? Tad premature don't you think? Eric Moulds didn't set the world on fire in his rookie year. It turned out that he was one of the better receivers the Bills have ever had. Writing him off so quickly makes little sense to me.