Matthews: Blame Tyrod if you must.

JM2009

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me see if I'm getting this right, TT shouldn't throw the ball on third and longs if it's a slant pattern because the ball could be tipped at the LOS potentially creating a turnover and that TT shouldn't throw it down the field to Holmes even if he's open because he may not catch it.

That's it!! Jauron is BADOL! BADOL is Jauron!!

Simple truth the coach and GM don't have the guts to admit, the built this team to fail massively on offense. I don't understand why Taylor was brought back only to have all weapons completely nuetered.

Yes Taylor is who we thought he is. Very limited, inaccurate, misses what appears to be open players but is he even allowed to do thing? Seems not. The guys weapons are awful and the game plan isn't built to his strengths so one can conclude they don't care if they lose because it's all about next year and all those draft picks.

Hope they know what they are doing because without big arm, accurate QB, they are going no where, as always!

yep. year 1 of the rebuild of the offense we are in. they are playing hard, but this is not where FAs want to be right now. Maclin the best example. Hopefully they get Darnold. Kid is pretty fearless.

No matter what anyone thinks of him as a player, not fair to him. Maybe they should trade him and McCoy before the deadline.

I am thinking the same thing. Maybe we could get a second & a third for those two guys. That would give us 8 picks in the top 3 rounds next year & they could get the players they want. Although I don't think he is good enough, what Mcbeane did to Taylor this year was totally unfair, talking about setting a guy up to fail.

Every offense?

Why don't you do yourself a favor and check the Carolina offense's all-22's. :thumbsup:

I think the fact that some of you don't really follow the rest of the NFL makes for some really poor takes at times.

What does Carolina's offense have to do with Buffalos?

The fact that their receivers had open zones more than ten yards downfield, but we lucked out from a bad game by Cam?

Aren't you the one who constantly harped on that?

Still trying to figure out your position on this.

McDermott is like Jauron becaue he plays conservatively, but we shouldn't criticize this era's Trent Edwards because he plays too conservatively.

What he does best is run with the football tucked under his arm. I see no evidence that the deep ball is something he does even well, let alone 'best'.

Actually, the stat's on deep ball completions etc show TT to be among the best in the league the last few years. Others on this board can bury you with data, but I can't...but I have read their prior posts.

It's about matchups.........Matthews is the Bills #1 WR.......he's no better than a #2 in the NFL.

Jones is the next best........he's a #3 at this point......but he's the #2 here.

Holmes......he's a special teamer.......a #5 WR option elsewhere but playing a #2 or #3 role.

And of course Tolbert has no business being ANYONE'S #2 RB in the NFL........he might not have even gotten an offer to play if not for McD........he's a special teamer as well.

Bills are losing matchups against opposing secondaries and very few QB's can really do much about such a situation.

Thats a good point 2 many overlook so they can burry the QB. Its a Buffalo thing.

I don't buy the we don't have WRs to throw long to. ThRowing long is more than putting a track athlete out there and letting him out run the DB.

Zay was able to get wide open 30 yards downfield. How long do you need?

Speed isn't the only way to get a guy long open. You can also use trickery and send guys long when isolated on a LB. I see other teams do it.

Interesting that some of the Rams players said they were glad to have Sammy because now they had somebody that defenses have to play over the top. Translation: respect the deep pass. But what do they know. They only play the game. Pretty sure they had other guys on the roster playing wr. Guys who couldnt get deep consistently. Edited by Billsmovinup

7th????

Hmmmm

I'm too fat and lazy to look it up but;

Kelly, Kemp, Fergy are probably the top three ... maybe Fitz & Bledsoe are in there ... but who could be the other???

Vince Feragamo ;)

Edited by JMF2006

Interesting that some of the Rams players said they were glad to have Sammy because now they had somebody that defenses have to play over the top. Translation: respect the deep pass. But what do they know. They only play the game. Pretty sure they had other guys on the roster playing wr. Guys who couldnt get deep consistently.

I'm pretty sure, Tavon Austin who they took in the 1st round in 2013 and runs a 4.27 can get deep.

TT does have a great deep ball. Those are low percentage plays.

What the Bills need are completions. Accurate seams and anticipatory throws. 7 to 10 yards down the field. Those would be big.

There's two big flaws to TT's game, which cannot be fixed:

- He's short, and can't see over his line. Not only can he see his receivers, but he always has to be in the shotgun, never under center, forcing the silent snap count on the road which ruins his oline and run game
- His platform is never consistent because he's always looking to run. Every throw is a brand new pass, and will never be consistently accurate.

It's unfair that a millionaire who isn't good at his job is being blamed for being bad at his job? How awful.

He could always, you know...play better.

This is easy to say, and I'll be the first to criticize when I think it's deserved. But i sat in the stands on Sunday.. And I can count on one hand the number of receivers I actually saw come open ALL DAY.

This is easy to say, and I'll be the first to criticize when I think it's deserved. But i sat in the stands on Sunday.. And I can count on one hand the number of receivers I actually saw come open ALL DAY.

Then keep counting or watch closer. Because the all 22 shows more than 5 plays

I think he's said numerous times the DESIGN of the offense is conservative. Conservative routes.

I'll never understand the Tyrod bashing. He's got flaws but he's a pretty solid QB. I'd love an upgrade but for a team that put up points the last two seasons, you have to think the scheme, and some personnel changes on offense is and will be the reason for why the offense will struggle this year.

Most is on scheme change. Not sure why they felt the need to fix what wasn't broken. Should've brought back as many offensive coaches and players as possible from Rexs staff. They did the opposite.....

They got trigger happy and blew up a lot of things in unnecessary fashion.

This pretty much. Both seasons enough points were scored to make the playoffs.

Thats the thing though the QB can`t wait for the WR or TE to be open.

The ball needs to be thrown in anticipation of where the target will be.

Most passes I see in the NFL are for contested catches the QB puts it up and the WR battles the CB for it.

College open or NFL open?

That's on the HC and OC and QB all deciding it's not worth it.

If the HC and OC thought the QB had guys open deep on plays they called that the QB didn't throw, they would make him or bench him.

So you're saying with the equivalent of a straight face that if Tyrod Taylor got repeated playcalls to look and throw deep, had guys repeatedly open on those playcalls, and then DIDNT pull the trigger on these wide open guys on deep pass play calls, the coaches would just be cool with that and tell him to keep doing what he is doing? Not make him throw deep, the thing he likes and does best?

Your an idiot.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

I am convinced that the lack of going deep is more because of the design of the offense and Dennison's excessive focus on getting 5 yards rather than getting touchdowns. Dennison is another one of these guys who is totally fine with an offensive system that requires the team to execute 15 plays properly each drive in order to score a touchdown rather than execute 8 or less with a big play to score. To Dennison - taking big shots are wasted plays. To better coordinators - taking deep shots are opportunities for big plays either through completion or through pass interference.

Roman was mostly the same way. These guys build boring offenses. Don't care who the QB is. Boring pass attacks regardless.

http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-09-18-matthews-blame-tyrod-if-you-must/

"Taylor is the convenient player to blame. I don’t think that’s fair.

Tyrod isn’t good enough to lift an average team into the playoffs. But I don’t think he is the worst problem the Bills have throwing the football. Buffalo’s current group of five wide receivers – including two who primarily return kicks – is among the worst in the NFL (I’m trying to be kind).

Critics were crying for Taylor to throw deep against Carolina. Throw deep to who? Sammy Watkins, or Robert Woods, or Chris Hogan, or Marquise Goodwin? They’re all gone.

I suppose Taylor is on thin ice now. Everybody loves the backup quarterback.

Maybe rookie Nathan Peterman could save the day. Hit the deep ball. Spread the field. Open up space for McCoy to run.

I doubt it. What do you think? Are you eager to find out?"

Let's be honest among us chickens here...Tyrod is merely a stop gap...nothing more. This is a new regime and they DO have a plan...unfortunately for the fans, the plan will take 2-3 years to bear fruit. Everyone has to keep a brave face on...I do believe that they are trying to win...the defense did a great job out there, but there are not enough decent players on the offense to have in a chance in the AFC East.

Edited by Overdue Bill