McDermott's Subplot Emerging?

theRalph

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am going to listen to anyone on the Panthers it will not be a Panther fan. They're the most ignorant fan base in the league.

However, no. I am fairly confident saying McDermott still plans on having Taylor be a QB for us in 2018

I support starting him for the forseeable future - but i don't know if i can get behind him in 2018 even as a placeholder.

It irritates me that this team can't complete your basic 3 step drop passes, 5yd hitch, out, a slant etc.

Joe B pointed out TT had 2 completions to a WR through 3 Qtrs yesterday. That's embarrassing!!!!

Panthers D is good, but they ain't that damn good!

One more game like that from TT he should be done. If McDermott is gonna be a man of his word a look to build at every position... he can't stand by a guy who has 15 passing yards in a half and can't get the ball out quickly.

I wonder how many WRs around the league have more receptions then our whole WR group at this point? It's sad. Pretty sure Landry has more and he only played 1 game

Edited by BananaB

Threw him under the bus for missing open receivers.

Center Kalil was a scratch during pregame warmups unexpectedly.

His replacement didn't have any practice at center during the week so he wasn't calling good protections for the line.

Hence, The Bills were using rush schemes the Panthers should know but were getting to Cam.

Also, questioned Shula not sticking with the deep crossing routes in second half and not having FB on roster while trying to play a power rush scheme.

We all saw the preseason. All of the preseason caveats notwithstanding, there was a prevailing thought that Nathan Peterman looked better in the offense than Tyrod. It was apparent Peterman got the ball out faster. He was poised. He seemed to process the defenses he faced much more quickly than Taylor.

We all saw the game yesterday. Taylor does not process quickly. We never saw a three-step drop and immediate throw. We could see his hesitation. We could see how late his throws to the outside were - he was nearly intercepted on two occasions.

Opponents know this and in response load up against the run. The counter play to this is to throw quickly. It's been called setting up the run with the pass. We've heard so much about the Bills having no receiving threats. I've grown weary of this. These are NFL receivers and an effective short passing game is possible with a quarterback that can see the field and process options. And why not throw long? Taylor did just that to an OPEN Zay Jones at the end of the game...right at the critical point the Panthers would have needed to defense a long throw.

McDermott, as a first-year head coach, is not interested in tanking. He really can't. Had they decided to start Peterman in week one (with a healthy Tyrod) it would have appeared to be a tank. The only reasonable way to insert Peterman is for Tyrod to play himself out of the position. With an offense that's decidedly not Tyrod Taylor's style, that seems to be what's taking place. It looks like a subplot.

Peterman starting may occur sooner than later. McDermott cannot possibly want to waste what appears to be a top defense. McDermott needs to see Peterman play to determine his viability. The change is coming soon.

I literally picture you sitting at your computer writing this crazy conspiracy theory in a dark room with a tin foil hat on. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Most comical is the fact that anyone thinks McD or ANY head coach would be afraid to start anyone over anyone else. This is the same HC that sent Dareus home for a game in the preseason to send a message no one is above the rules or safe. This is the same team that made some surprise cuts. This is the same team that had the balls to trade two of our young talented players at key positions of need a few weeks before the start of the season.

This thread is as bad as the Mario for Skelton straight up thread.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I literally picture you sitting at your computer writing this crazy conspiracy theory in a dark room with a tin foil hat on. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Most comical is the fact that anyone thinks McD or ANY head coach would be afraid to start anyone over anyone else. This is the same HC that sent Dareus home for a game in the preseason to send a message no one is above the rules or safe. This is the same team that made some surprise cuts. This is the same team that had the balls to trade tow of your players at key positions of need a few weeks before the start of the season.

This thread is as bad as the Mario for Skelton straight up thread.

Taking out the conspiratorial part of the original post what isn't improbable is Peterman getting a chance to start sometime during the season. It is very unlikely that this staff and the prior GM consider Taylor to be a franchise caliber qb for this team now or in the future. What is also very probable is that this staff will make it a priority to secure a top shelf qb prospect in the next draft using their surplus of picks if necessary to secure that caliber of prospect.

Anyone who is fair-minded acknowledges that Taylor is working with a very deficient receiving corps that diminishes his chances, or any other qb, to be successful. However, anyone who is fair-minded acknowledges that even if his receiving corps was dramatically upgraded he simply isn't good enough as a qb to get this team anywhere meaningful. That's a reality that you have problems admitting, even when it is so starkly apparent.

I support starting him for the forseeable future - but i don't know if i can get behind him in 2018 even as a placeholder.

...no way in hell McD is thinking about TT in 2018 now..........maybe we could use our two 1sts in 2018 on a punter and place kicker then............

2018 is the foreseeable future. if taylor cannot achieve success with the current group, why would peterman? neither has time with this unit

further, i don't think we see peterman as that great

Taking out the conspiratorial part of the original post what isn't improbable is Peterman getting a chance to start sometime during the season. It is very unlikely that this staff and the prior GM consider Taylor to be a franchise caliber qb for this team now or in the future. What is also very probable is that this staff will make it a priority to secure a top shelf qb prospect in the next draft using their surplus of picks if necessary to secure that caliber of prospect.

Anyone who is fair-minded acknowledges that Taylor is working with a very deficient receiving corps that diminishes his chances, or any other qb, to be successful. However, anyone who is fair-minded acknowledges that even if his receiving corps was dramatically upgraded he simply isn't good enough as a qb to get this team anywhere meaningful. That's a reality that you have problems admitting, even when it is so starkly apparent.

I absolutely agree that Peterman could start games this year, and to be honest, I actually expect it. The OP was rooted in all these weird elaborate conspiracies though and thats what I was commenting on.

As I am sure you know from my other posts, I like Peterman. And for that reason, there is no way he is ready to start right now over TT. I don't care about whiney fans, I care about winning...and if we are going to make a QB change to see if it increases our ability to win, then I want to do so in a way that puts that new QB in the best position to succeed.

Peterman completed passes on par with Tim Tebow at a miserable 50% in the preseason, yet people talk about him here like he lit the preseason on fire. And again, I like Peterman, so I don't say that because I think he sucks...I saw things I liked out of the kid, but I also saw PLENTY that showed he's not ready yet. And the absolute most undeniable worst way to develop a rookie QB is throw him to the wolves before he is ready.

Barring injury, I really can't see a legit switch to Peterman, nor should we, until at least week 10 or even later if we still have playoff hopes in week 10. MOST IMPORTANTLY...if the D can keep playing like this and the O finds some rhythm, then I am not sure Peterman does play because we could remain in playoff contention late into the season. D is currently #2 in the NFL right now.

Take away our running game and this team becomes one dimensional........force TT to make quick decisions and throw the ball to our WR's.

If the fans can figure it out, you don't think that every other team is working towards it?

Our O was exposed as a sham yesterday...........completely one dimensional and going nowhere until its resolved.

We all saw the preseason. All of the preseason caveats notwithstanding, there was a prevailing thought that Nathan Peterman looked better in the offense than Tyrod. It was apparent Peterman got the ball out faster. He was poised. He seemed to process the defenses he faced much more quickly than Taylor.

We all saw the game yesterday. Taylor does not process quickly. We never saw a three-step drop and immediate throw. We could see his hesitation. We could see how late his throws to the outside were - he was nearly intercepted on two occasions.

Opponents know this and in response load up against the run. The counter play to this is to throw quickly. It's been called setting up the run with the pass. We've heard so much about the Bills having no receiving threats. I've grown weary of this. These are NFL receivers and an effective short passing game is possible with a quarterback that can see the field and process options. And why not throw long? Taylor did just that to an OPEN Zay Jones at the end of the game...right at the critical point the Panthers would have needed to defense a long throw.

McDermott, as a first-year head coach, is not interested in tanking. He really can't. Had they decided to start Peterman in week one (with a healthy Tyrod) it would have appeared to be a tank. The only reasonable way to insert Peterman is for Tyrod to play himself out of the position. With an offense that's decidedly not Tyrod Taylor's style, that seems to be what's taking place. It looks like a subplot.

Peterman starting may occur sooner than later. McDermott cannot possibly want to waste what appears to be a top defense. McDermott needs to see Peterman play to determine his viability. The change is coming soon.

Very potentially insightful post.

I agree that from my perspective that Peterman is a better fit for this offense and I also agree that TT does not see the field pre snap or process game play well. What TT does do well is he throws it with decent accuracy and he doesn't really turn the ball over which is hugely underrated.

The other aspect that I agree with is that McD really could not bench TT at or around the beginning of the season because it is quite possible that many of his players would have a hard time buying into what they are doing because of that decision. I think that in order for them to put Peterman in, TT has to play himself out of the position to where benching him for Peterman would be much more justified not just from fans but from the players as well.

I hope that TT is able to not have that many repeat lackluster performances like this past weekend (and yes I know, if you analyze the throws that TT made they weren't that bad, but what I'm also pretty sure about is that there were plenty of opportunities to throw the ball at least 8 yards or more beyond the LOS that he didn't attempt to make). Let's just hope that TT can see the field better in the coming games and we won't have to revisit this conversation any time soon. But if he can't, then you gotta see what Peterman has.

With the second worst wr crew in the league you still B word about TT. I can't wait for peterman to come in and just get his ass handed to him.

The only thing Peterman has going for him is that he's an unknown. Tyrod is what he is. We know what he can and can't do. At this point it's safe to say he's not our answer at QB. Peterman is likely not any good either but there is the possibility that he might be.

Nothing really earth shattering about this post OP. The moves the FO has made are not consistent with a tank. We've all seen Tyrods limitations on display for a couple of seasons. It's also obvious that the Bills have some deficiencies at WR, whether or not you want to acknowledge them. It's been apparent that this HC wants to do things his way. He won't Tank, so Taylor will be given every chance to show he should remain the starter. If Taylor cannot do that, meaning run the WCO efficiently he will be replaced. What if they are 1-5? That could definitely happen in the course of the 2017 season. Peterman will be that replacement .

How long did it take you to come up with this?

1- No player would ever come here on free agent if this was found to be true setting up a player to fail.

2- Who were you warching? Peterman was bad in preseason.

3- Preseason defenses are what made Manuel, Tuel, and Thad have believers.

4- Please watch more football and post less conspiracy theories.

2018 is the foreseeable future. if taylor cannot achieve success with the current group, why would peterman? neither has time with this unit

further, i don't think we see peterman as that great

It's quite possible that NP is just a better QB than Taylor. There is no way to know this if he doesn't play. Not saying it should happen at this point. It wouldn't be shocking if their playoff chances evaporated with TT at QB though. Why would a Coach not turn to the backup at that point and see if he shows anything? Edited by Boatdrinks

I absolutely agree that Peterman could start games this year, and to be honest, I actually expect it. The OP was rooted in all these weird elaborate conspiracies though and thats what I was commenting on.

As I am sure you know from my other posts, I like Peterman. And for that reason, there is no way he is ready to start right now over TT. I don't care about whiney fans, I care about winning...and if we are going to make a QB change to see if it increases our ability to win, then I want to do so in a way that puts that new QB in the best position to succeed.

Peterman completed passes on par with Tim Tebow at a miserable 50% in the preseason, yet people talk about him here like he lit the preseason on fire. And again, I like Peterman, so I don't say that because I think he sucks...I saw things I liked out of the kid, but I also saw PLENTY that showed he's not ready yet. And the absolute most undeniable worst way to develop a rookie QB is throw him to the wolves before he is ready.

Barring injury, I really can't see a legit switch to Peterman, nor should we, until at least week 10 or even later if we still have playoff hopes in week 10. MOST IMPORTANTLY...if the D can keep playing like this and the O finds some rhythm, then I am not sure Peterman does play because we could remain in playoff contention late into the season. D is currently #2 in the NFL right now.

Although I'm not a Taylor fan as it stands he is our best option at qb. As you smartly and repeatedly have stated Peterman is not close to being ready to play. It would be not only unfair to replace Taylor as the starter it would also be unfair to Peterman and to his development to play him too soon before he is close to being ready.

Taylor is a high character player and someone who has an exceptional work ethic. In a way he is being placed in a very untenable situation. With the trade of Watkins his chance of succeeding at a presentable level is being sabotaged. The current receiving corps is unable to get any space. With Watkins on the field, whether the play is directed to him or not, the spacing widens for everyone else. However, that is not to say that I don't understand why he was traded. This season is a small piece of a bigger picture planned when this new regime took over. It's simply a rebuilding process done in hopefully an accelerated pace because of the added draft picks, especially the early round picks.

A lot of people are distraught over this loss to Carolina. They shouldn't be. The frustrated fans should be encouraged by how quickly this new regime turned around this chaotic defense in one off season. The next focus is going to be the offense. Hopefully, if the right qb prospect can be attained then in another couple of years this team will be in a good position to succeed.

It's quite possible that NP is just a better QB than Taylor. There is no way to know this if he doesn't play. Not saying it should happen at this point. It wouldn't be shocking if their playoff chances evaporated with TT at QB though. Why would a Coach not turn to the backup at that point and see if he shows anything?

that stands likely to happen; Peterman this season