What's the stupidest thing you ever bought?

Royale with Cheese

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny story, in my banking days I had a straight laced CPA client who was also on my Advisory Board. We went to a nice dinner one night with the wives then stopped at another clients bar/pool hall on the way home. I was shocked that they had brought their own cues in cases. We walked in and found about 25 tables all full, so we needed to put down quarters and win a table. I scouted around and found a couple half-toothless rednecks slapping balls all over, so I put quarters there.

Well, little did I know they were playing that you have to sink the 8 ball in the pocket you dropped your last ball. That explained a lot! I got a lot of crap for using our friends personal cue-in-a-case, but won the table. They were so pissed they offered to spot me a ball and play for $20, which rose to 5 balls for $100. "No thanks, I'm just here to play with my friends". We had the bar owner make sure we got safely to our car that night.

Fast Eddie, is that you!

paul%252520newman%252520smoking.gif

Ten trillion dollars in Zimbabwe money. No reason at all, just felt like it. It shipped with a bonus 200 in Viatnamese dong. Now I can ask people if they want to see my Dong.

"The Donger need food"

Uh... No thanks, I will let that cup pass.

How much out of pocket would it have cost you to have moved it... Shame you blew $2500... Savannah to Atlanta is not that far!

Moving companies won't touch it for the risk of breaking the slate (an 8' table generally comes in 3 pieces). We downsized a bit as both kids are gone now, so we really would struggle to fit a pool table in now. They take up HUGE space to have adequate room for comfortable play.

Too bad Augie couldn't scratch it up!

Too bad I couldn't stay in Sarasota, FL. Great places spoil you. :(

There are worse places than Atlanta. WoooHooo!

The whole board should just pool our money to help him out.

I'm good with that! It's not just owing the table, but the sky is the limit to house it - they need lots of room. A few million should cover it just fine. Real estate is pricey around here! Get drunk and fund me! You can drop by and play when you're in the area. :) (Assuming you never come here, of course.)

I had the ET game for the 2600.

Not only did I have it, I actually liked the ET game! Never understood all the criticism. By comparison, the Indiana Jones game was pure crap.

And I loved Adventure. And Pitfall. And Superman -- that was my favorite.

Edited by KD in CA

Too bad Augie couldn't scratch it up!

Augie may be the Master Scratcher of this board.

I'm sure we have people who golf or play tennis a lot. They probably don't win many majors. I'm a hack who knows what he likes. Darts in a bar is another nice diversion. Are you seeing a trend?

:beer:

Ten trillion dollars in Zimbabwe money. No reason at all, just felt like it. It shipped with a bonus 200 in Viatnamese dong. Now I can ask people if they want to see my Dong.

Someone I know tried to get me to buy Zimbabwe dollars also, because "it's going to be reintroduced onto the world currency market so that $100 investment would be worth thousands if not millions"

Moving companies won't touch it for the risk of breaking the slate (an 8' table generally comes in 3 pieces). We downsized a bit as both kids are gone now, so we really would struggle to fit a pool table in now. They take up HUGE space to have adequate room for comfortable play.

When we moved to our new house, we had a guy come break it down, store it for like 3 months and reassemble it at the new house, cost total like 450 I think

A pair of tickets, from a scalper outside the venue, to see Keith Richards, at the Paramount in NYC. Paid $350 for 2 tickets...the scalper did a slight of hand "bait and switch" and gave me two (expired) tickets for the Virginia Slims tennis tournament at Madison Square Garden. I was, needless to say, so pissed!

I had the ET game for the 2600.

I remember playing that POS as a kid. Had absolutely no idea what to do. So frustrating. Apparently, though, the game was actually well ahead of its time and not that bad, they just provided no instruction at all on what the heck you were supposed to do, or a map of the "3d" world to navigate it properly so everyone go too confused. Saw an interesting documentary on it a year or so ago.

A pair of tickets, from a scalper outside the venue, to see Keith Richards, at the Paramount in NYC. Paid $350 for 2 tickets...the scalper did a slight of hand "bait and switch" and gave me two (expired) tickets for the Virginia Slims tennis tournament at Madison Square Garden. I was, needless to say, so pissed!

Wow... Tough break! I went to Indy 500 w/my son this past year and we bought tickets on the fly off the street... I was sweating bullets when we got in line, the tickets looked a little off looking @ others in line... Backs weren't in full color. But all fine.

Any advice out there when buying tix on street?

I am sure the good sellers don't want to kill their business. Guy gave me his number... I guess I would dial him up next year... But you are always left wondering on the street.

Any good tricks @ authenticating or do you just gotta trust! What happened to you Buff was tough, and bold... Pulled a big fast one. What can you do but suck it up and feel the fool... So sorry man.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois