Week 1 Coaching Review

BillsFan130

TACKLING.

We are a great tackling team. Its the biggest change from last year. Guys are just swarming to the ball, if the first guy doesnt make the play theres already 2 or 3 guys behind him to make it.

Very good point - Gilmore & Darby were awful tacklers - look at Pitt game last year !!

After the failed screen pass near the end of the game the players appeared not too bothered that the play didn't work. As they came off, McD was ripping them for not staying focused. Ryan would have been laughing with the players.

That is going to pay dividends as the season(s) goes on.

After reviewing the play, i think he was down by contact. When Wood tackled him, his knee was still on the ground.

I didn't think he had total control of the ball at that point though.

The coaching was conservative but fine. The team was prepared. They seemed to just assume the Jets couldn't beat them and played the game to not make mistakes and win, which they did. McD didn't have to make a lot, if any, tough decisions. I thought they could have won the game a little easier if they opened it up a little more.

I'm wondering why the INT return in which the player was clearly not "down by contact" was not challenge-able?

Very difficult to criticize a staff coaching their first game together, with so much change on both sides of the ball, and coming away with a pretty easy (if somewhat ugly) win. While the Jets stink offensively their defense is formidable and the Bills were still able to generate significant offense. Only 6 penalties for 50 yards -- that's a welcome change.

Well the player was down by contact. When the ball was stripped his knee was still on the ground. Wood had touched him as he stripped the ball.

What did you guys think of Mcdermott, Dennison and Frazier today?

For me, i thought we were a little too conservative on offence and defence. Maybe because we were playing an inferior opponent?

I really did not like the run, run, pass two possessions in a row in the 4th quarter. I really hope they only did that because they did not respect the Jets offence, because if you do that against a good offence, you are going to get burned most of the time.

Also would have liked to see more blitzes on the defensive side of the ball. Seemed pretty vanilla to me, and once again, I think a good QB picks that defence apart a lot easier. In saying that, can't argue too much with the end result.

Dennison did pretty well with his overall play calling. Would have liked to see a bit more play action on early downs especially in the 2nd half, but overall I think he did a pretty nice job.

Overall, some positive points to take away, but also hope they are a little more aggressive in the future.

They were playing the Jets, nuff said.

Of course they'll have to step it up against the Panthers

What did you guys think of Mcdermott, Dennison and Frazier today?

For me, i thought we were a little too conservative on offence and defence. Maybe because we were playing an inferior opponent?

I really did not like the run, run, pass two possessions in a row in the 4th quarter. I really hope they only did that because they did not respect the Jets offence, because if you do that against a good offence, you are going to get burned most of the time.

Also would have liked to see more blitzes on the defensive side of the ball. Seemed pretty vanilla to me, and once again, I think a good QB picks that defence apart a lot easier. In saying that, can't argue too much with the end result.

Dennison did pretty well with his overall play calling. Would have liked to see a bit more play action on early downs especially in the 2nd half, but overall I think he did a pretty nice job.

Overall, some positive points to take away, but also hope they are a little more aggressive in the future.

Killin clock, up 2 scores- dont turn it over. Walk out with the W- no problem with it.

I was worried the run game wasn't going to be as good as last year and it turned out to be even better.

Tolbert is a beast and Shady is a Barry Sanders clone.

My concern is the defense.

However, I think the coaching was greatly improved over what we have seen the last few years.

A+ for me after one game

Hahaha I am Canadian sir! We spell it "offence" and "defence" up in the great white north:)

I was going to ask that.

Now learn to spell correctly, Wildling! ;-)

I'm honestly surprised they had as much success running - against the Jets D I would have expected the plan would be to attack the young secondary, but most football teams are always going to try running first (especially the team that led the league in rushing two straight years) and as long as the running is working, it's crazy to switch from it much.

Buffalo Bills 1-0-0

Miami 0-0-0

NY Jets. 0-1-0

NE Pats* 0-1-0

Only one winning team in the AFCE after week one... or make that week won.

Yup - let's stop this regular season nonsense now - it's settled! Did we get home field for the playoffs?? :D

Edited by BobChalmers

I didn't think he had total control of the ball at that point though.

The coaching was conservative but fine. The team was prepared. They seemed to just assume the Jets couldn't beat them and played the game to not make mistakes and win, which they did. McD didn't have to make a lot, if any, tough decisions. I thought they could have won the game a little easier if they opened it up a little more.

The red zone INT and missed FG kept the game from looking like more of a blowout, but the nice thing about yesterday was watching a game in which it was crystal clear who was the better team.

I was worried the run game wasn't going to be as good as last year and it turned out to be even better.

Tolbert is a beast and Shady is a Barry Sanders clone.

My concern is the defense.

However, I think the coaching was greatly improved over what we have seen the last few years.

A+ for me after one game

My biggest concern from yesterday was the lack of a pass rush with the front 4. They weren't awful, but I hoped for better against the McClown-led Jests

My biggest concern from yesterday was the lack of a pass rush with the front 4. They weren't awful, but I hoped for better against the McClown-led Jests

McCown was being hurried most of the day. The sack totals weren't there but I felt as though the pressure was. I think against a less experienced QB they would have had 5 or 6 sacks and probably a couple more turnovers. McCown -- say what you will -- is a pro.

Edited by eball

Its tough to get sacks when their gameplan was a lot of short quick routes to negate a pass rush. Largely those short quick routes weren't effective against us because the team learned how to swarm and tackle this year... unlike last year where it seemed no one could tackle.

McCown was being hurried most of the day. The sack totals weren't there but I felt as though the pressure was. I think against a less experienced QB they would have had 5 or 6 sacks and probably a couple more turnovers. McCown -- say what you will -- is a pro.

Yeah - and I guess as several OBD and media types have pointed out, their short passing quick release game didn't really allow for sacks.

Its tough to get sacks when their gameplan was a lot of short quick routes to negate a pass rush. Largely those short quick routes weren't effective against us because the team learned how to swarm and tackle this year... unlike last year where it seemed no one could tackle.

True

Honestly, I think they came into the game with a plan and stuck to it. Establish the ground game, the jets defense focused on the WRs, to we went to TE and RB more with the pass. On defense, their major weapons were Powell and Forte, play run first, make McCown beat them with inferior receivers, no big plays. First game with new coaches, new schemes, let's not get crazy and get used to things before we pull out all the stops.

One thing I very much liked was that the plays were called quickly by Dennison, the players were lined up and didn't look confused. We didn't have a lot of motion or shifts, which helped that, but the play clock rarely if ever ran down, we didn't have to call us unnecessary timeout because we were unorganized. That was a huge relief. Same on defense. It's much simpler so it's much simpler to call and run. But it was a pleasure to see the players lined up and ready to play before the ball was snapped.

Of course, the Jets were awful, they didn't hurry up at all, they had no exotic offense or defense so that made it easier. But the team was prepared and the coaches got the calls in on time.

That'll come in handy when we play another AFCE team that makes its living off the quick-pass game.