30 years a fan

Well its the Eve of my thirtieth season as a Buffalo Bills fan. The outlook is bleak this year as the Bills are poised to extend their playoff drought to a baffling 18 years. It has been a rough go but I remember other times. I remember the goal posts being torn down when they won the division in 88. And I remember the loss to Icky Woods and the Bengals in the AFC championship game the same season. I remember the Bickering Bills and the drop by Ronnie Harmon to lose to Cleveland in the 89 playoffs. I remember 51-3, 10-7, 29-10, 30-13 and the absolute euphoria I felt after each one of those wins. I choose not to remember the games that came after them. I remember the greatest comeback in NFL history and I remember Frank Wychek throwing the ball forward. I remember all the big games with Miami we had, and winning most of them. I remember finding a way to watch my beloved Bills in Alaska, Seattle and Peru. I remember (most of) the 29 straight home games I attended. I remember Thurman Thomas, James Loften and Eric Moulds. I remember Shane Conlan, Bryce Paup and Cornelius Bennett. I remember San Francisco fans becoming St louis fans and then becoming Tampa Bay fans and back to San Francisco. I remember when there were NO Patriot fans.

30 years and a lot of down times but I remember the good as well as the bad and I consider myself to be a true loyal fan to the team I love. I couldnt be luckier that back in 87 I chose the Bills because everyone else liked the Jets, Giants, 49ers or Bears. So while the upcoming season may look glum I raise my glass as I always have and always will and say Lets Go Buffalo!

Well its the Eve of my thirtieth season as a Buffalo Bills fan. The outlook is bleak this year as the Bills are poised to extend their playoff drought to a baffling 18 years. It has been a rough go but I remember other times. I remember the goal posts being torn down when they won the division in 88. And I remember the loss to Icky Woods and the Bengals in the AFC championship game the same season. I remember the Bickering Bills and the drop by Ronnie Harmon to lose to Cleveland in the 89 playoffs. I remember 51-3, 10-7, 29-10, 30-13 and the absolute euphoria I felt after each one of those wins. I choose not to remember the games that came after them. I remember the greatest comeback in NFL history and I remember Frank Wychek throwing the ball forward. I remember all the big games with Miami we had, and winning most of them. I remember finding a way to watch my beloved Bills in Alaska, Seattle and Peru. I remember (most of) the 29 straight home games I attended. I remember Thurman Thomas, James Loften and Eric Moulds. I remember Shane Conlan, Bryce Paup and Cornelius Bennett. I remember San Francisco fans becoming St louis fans and then becoming Tampa Bay fans and back to San Francisco. I remember when there were NO Patriot fans.

30 years and a lot of down times but I remember the good as well as the bad and I consider myself to be a true loyal fan to the team I love. I couldnt be luckier that back in 87 I chose the Bills because everyone else liked the Jets, Giants, 49ers or Bears. So while the upcoming season may look glum I raise my glass as I always have and always will and say Lets Go Buffalo!

Here, here!!! Let's-Go-Buff-A-Lo!!!!

Here, here!!! Let's-Go-Buff-A-Lo!!!!

You mean "hear, hear!" but whatever.

Sounds like the OP is not from WNY but arbitrarily chose to follow the Bills.

I can't believe anyone could be that self-abusive!

I was born into Bills fandom and will remain there until death.

It is exciting to be typing on the eve of another new Bills season.

lol oh well!!! Go Bills!!!

So you became a Bills fan right on the cusp of the best six years the team has had (88-94) and you probably thought that you should expect the team to be consistent winners...unfortunately for those of us born about the time the team was born and remember the late 60's, the mid to late 70's, the mid 80's and the entire 21st century there has been more sucking than not. I agree with you that 30 years ago you couldn't find a Patriots fan and for the most part, even when the Bills sucked they'd at least beat the Patriots once a season.

The team is due though - every 25 years (roughly): 64-66, 92-93, and just about now (though I think we're a couple years away).....well, tomorrow we begin again, worst case, the draft is only seven months away and they go to camp in ten months.....

Nice post on the eve of the new season. I grew up in Oregon and my first football recollection was watching OJ Simpson on a big run down the sideline. Heck, it might have

even been on a black and white TV. Then, still in Oregon, I had the good fortune to have a Buffalo-native as my 6th grade teacher. He really cemented my love for

the Bills. He said that I should "write the Buffalo Bills." I never even thought of that.

So, as a 12 year old, I wrote a simple letter to One Bills Drive. They sent me a, I'm sure, standard letter back saying "thank you for your letter. Glad you are a fan, etc." They included

a player photo or two. Just to get something in the mail with the Bills logo on it was great. Sounds kind of funny now, but it was so exciting!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new season. Go Bills!

Edited by Fan in Alaska

Only 30?

(You might be a relative rookie but I love the positive attitude!)

Ditto. I recall all the topics the YOUNG OP stated as well as the 17 years that preceded his 30.

'Here Here's' to a new season!

Actually 41. Didn't start getting into sports teams until I was like 11. Originally from the Adirondacks but live in Rochester now...That 87 team in the strike season is the one that caught my eye. The run in 88 made me a fan.. And Ronnies drop broke my heart, cementing my love for this team until the end.

Edited by Bills fan since 87

How about 53 yrs here

The first Bills game I ever watched on TV was Bills-Chiefs 1966 AFL championship - the winner was to play in Superbowl I. I saw Johnny Unitas, Larry Csonka, Bob Griese and OJ Simpson play in the Rockpile. I was at the first game at the Ralph - preseason game, the Redskins ran the opening kickoff back for a TD. I should have stopped right then.

I moved abroad in 1989 so when Norwood went wide-right it was about 5AM for me, I stayed up all night for all 4 Superbowls. (The only Bills Jersey I've ever owned is Norwood 11)

For some reason with all of the disappointments and the 17 season drought, every season still brings new hope and irrational thoughts of glory. I guess being old doesn't make me stop dreaming.

Can't wait for today's game but I'm not sure I can explain why.

Have been a Bills fan for 51 years. Went to my first game when I was 16 at the old rockpile. I will be a Bills fan till the day I die. I just hope I'm still here when they "win" a Superbowl. Like a friend said once "Just once before I die"

I have my doubts they will win one

I took him to mean, "here, here!" while frantically pointing to a part of his anatomy.