Doug Flutie- Lead the Charge?

Another Fan

Yep. Whenever I hear about the top arms in NFL history it always Elway, Marino, Kelly, Favre, and SKIN FLUTIE!!!!!

Hmm dont recall saying he had a comparable arm to those guys but nice job

Greatest show on turf. Fun team to watch. They were great. Would have won two SBs if Belicheat didnt have their gameplan in his back pocket.

Absolutely. Pats knew basically every play they were running. They made adjustments after halftime and got back in the game. It should never have been that close

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on now, the rams werent very good in 99? Were some of you guys born yesterday or just have short memories. The rams were destroying teams in 99. They ran into two great defenses in the bucs and the titans but when they had to, they scored and won both games. We very well may have faced them that year if not for that joke in tennessee but to say the rams werent very good is ridiculous

The Rams defense was poor. They were very explosive on offense but still but were overwhelmed by a lesser Tampa D that nearly shut them out at home in the NFC title game.

The flaw in Martz system was the slow developing pass plays........they may have gotten goose-egged by a Bills defense that was utterly suffocating a full of pass rushers.

I've been following the team for almost 40 years and that was the best defense they've EVER fielded......by A LOT.......all due respect to the guys in the 1960's they were great in their time but these were modern-sized athletes.

The Bills D was better than Tampa's both to the eye AND statistically.........and much better than the Titans......whose D was middle of the pack(you didn't know that did you?).

We tend to think of Flutie/Johnson as unproductive QB's but that's not the case........but this was a time of relative star QB drought......Shaun King started the NFC championship for Tampa that year. :lol:

The Bills held Steve McNair to 60 yards passing......at home......in a playoff game......but the Bills OL was a mess with both starting tackles coming up lame and out on gameday and that crippled their offense against a good outside pass rushing team while the special teams cost them two scores with disastrous plays at the end of each half.

The Bills should have NEVER been in Tennessee.

They lost two home games to BAD teams that simply executed a gameplan of "keep Flutie in the pocket"..........the insertion of RJ into the lineup that day would have exposed those gameplans.

Separate neither Flutie or Johnson was good enough...........but together.......at THAT time.........hey, it's not like they had to go thru Peyton, Big Ben and Brady just to get to the SB like the Ravens did a few years back. :flirt:

The Rams defense was poor. They were very explosive on offense but still but were overwhelmed by a lesser Tampa D that nearly shut them out at home in the NFC title game.

The flaw in Martz system was the slow developing pass plays........they may have gotten goose-egged by a Bills defense that was utterly suffocating a full of pass rushers.

I've been following the team for almost 40 years and that was the best defense they've EVER fielded......by A LOT.......all due respect to the guys in the 1960's they were great in their time but these were modern-sized athletes.

The Bills D was better than Tampa's both to the eye AND statistically.........and much better than the Titans......whose D was middle of the pack(you didn't know that did you?).

We tend to think of Flutie/Johnson as unproductive QB's but that's not the case........but this was a time of relative star QB drought......Shaun King started the NFC championship for Tampa that year. :lol:

The Bills held Steve McNair to 60 yards passing......at home......in a playoff game......but the Bills OL was a mess with both starting tackles coming up lame and out on gameday and that crippled their offense against a good outside pass rushing team while the special teams cost them two scores with disastrous plays at the end of each half.

They lost two home games to BAD teams that simply executed a gameplan of "keep Flutie in the pocket"..........the insertion of RJ into the lineup that day would have exposed those gameplans.

Separate neither Flutie or Johnson was good enough...........but together.......at THAT time.........hey, it's not like they had to go thru Peyton, Big Ben and Brady just to get to the SB like the Ravens did a few years back. :flirt:

Stats are overrated. That titans d was damn good and kearse was the freak. He killed us in that playoff game. The bucs d was legit and would go on to be even more dominant. I go by the eyeball test, and the rams were unstoppable that year. And when they were slowed down, they scored when they absolutely had to. You know, the mark of a championship team? To say they werent very good is just wrong. And their defense wasnt that bad either Edited by BillsSbSoon

Flutie was never an elite QB. He was a decent QB who was carried by an elite defense. Just a couple years after Flutie was pulled for RJ, Dilfer won a Super Bowl. All we needed at the time was a QB who wasn't awful like RJ was. Only Bills fans would be hating on the last QB who took them to the playoffs. How does him being a jerk impact us? He was our best option at the time. People need to get over the anti Flutie sentiment. The guy might have saved the franchise.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Stats are overrated. That titans d was damn good and kearse was the freak. He killed us in that playoff game. The bucs d was legit and would go on to be even more dominant. I go by the eyeball test, and the rams were unstoppable that year. And when they were slowed down, they scored when they absolutely had to. You know, the mark of a championship team? To say they werent very good is just wrong. And their defense wasnt that bad either

You clearly weren't there. Or you just don't know football. Bills had the league's #1 defense....not Tampa...Titans were frickin' 15th. The Bucs had good defenses but they were always exposed against the run until Gruden got there. NOBODY was running on THAT Bills team and the pass defense was just as dominant. And that Titans team......who the Bills choked out offensively in their own house.....almost beat the Rams.

Reality was it was a time when flawed, one-dimensionally dominant teams like the Bills and Ravens had a great chance at a title. Bills easiest missed opportunity post SB XXV wasn't any of the other 3 other SB games.......those teams were balanced and dominant......it was THAT 1999 season and they've been suffering ever since.

Edited by #BADOL

I never said our defense wasnt great that year because it absolutely was. To say the bucs d also wasnt really good or that the rams werent either says youre the one who doesnt dont know much about football quite honestly. The jags also had the top ranked defense not us either

Edited by BillsSbSoon

You clearly weren't there. Or you just don't know football. Bills had the league's #1 defense....not Tampa...Titans were frickin' 15th. The Bucs had good defenses but they were always exposed against the run until Gruden got there. NOBODY was running on THAT Bills team and the pass defense was just as dominant.

Reality was it was a time when flawed, one-dimensionally dominant teams like the Bills and Ravens had a great chance at a title. Bills easiest missed opportunity post SB XXV wasn't any of the other 3 other SB games.......those teams were balanced and dominant......it was THAT 1999 season and they've been suffering ever since.

I agree with all of this. 1999 was their best look at a SB winning team since XXV. Cowboys were just too good top to bottom( even in XXVIII the Bills played as good a first half as they were capable of and led by just a TD) Football at that time wasn't just about the QB.

So much hate for Doug. He was a great QB for us and I believe he would have won the Music City game if he started. We got a few more playoff years after Kelly retired because of his quarterbacking. I saw him in his first game for us in 1998 against the Bears in preseason and you could tell he had something that RJ never displayed.

Recently my son's best friend met him in Chicago airport and he was very kind and generous even allowing him to take a selfie. Pretty cool guy if you ask me.

This is exactly correct.

Both QBs sucked but they were different. I thought it would have been beneficial if Wade played a little shell game and messed with opponents. It would not have been easy to pull off from a secrecy or locker room point of view, but it could have worked. By the time the season ended, any team in the league could have shut Flutie down. He was awful and had been figured out. Who knows what happens in Tennessee if he starts but one thing that wasn't going to happen was him scoring a lot of points. No Way Jose. People can remember it as fondly as they'd like but it wasn't happening.

So much hate for Doug. He was a great QB for us and I believe he would have won the Music City game if he started. We got a few more playoff years after Kelly retired because of his quarterbacking. I saw him in his first game for us in 1998 against the Bears in preseason and you could tell he had something that RJ never displayed.

Recently my son's best friend met him in Chicago airport and he was very kind and generous even allowing him to take a selfie. Pretty cool guy if you ask me.

Why do you think he would have won the Titans playoff game when he could have won the Dolphins playoff game the year before? All he had to do was score a TD from the one yard line instead of fumbling the ball away!

I will never understand why the COF treat this guy like some miracle worker when one year earlier he single-handedly cost us a playoff win with his turnovers? I'm waiting for an explanation. :angry:

Why do you think he would have won the Titans playoff game when he could have won the Dolphins playoff game the year before? All he had to do was score a TD from the one yard line instead of fumbling the ball away!

I will never understand why the COF treat this guy like some miracle worker when one year earlier he single-handedly cost us a playoff win with his turnovers? I'm waiting for an explanation. :angry:

It isn't so much the Miami game to me. He played well in that game which was before he had been neutralized. That fumble at the end could have happened to anyone.

The following season he blew chunks and could not move the ball against even the weakest of opponents in the second half of the year.

Flutie does not consider himself a Bill and is an open supporter of the Patriots. He doesn't feel like he got a fair chance here and can you blame him? I doubt we get him to lead the charge any time soon. He's busy surfing and doing Heisman commercials

Great? That's simply not accurate.

Flutie does not consider himself a Bill and is an open supporter of the Patriots. He doesn't feel like he got a fair chance here and can you blame him? I doubt we get him to lead the charge any time soon. He's busy surfing and doing Heisman commercials

Yes. I can blame him. He didn't get a fair chance here? WTF? It's the only place in the NFL he ever got a fair chance and he had short term success, long term failure.

Yes. I can blame him. He didn't get a fair chance here? WTF? It's the only place in the NFL he ever got a fair chance and he had short term success, long term failure.

They tried to replace him with Rob Johnson every chance they got. He signed with San Diego and they gave him a real shot as the #1 guy. He probably feels like more of a Charger than a Bill. Plus he's a huge Pats fan. We haven't made the playoffs since and the Pats went from a terrible franchise to one of the best in all of sports in that same time period. Coincidence? I think he cursed us