Trade - Car WR Clay to Bills for CB K Seymour & 7th rd pick

Reed83HOF

Did anyone actually watch Seymour this preseason? He played deep into the fourth preseason game (for a reason), and was still getting beat - by guys without a job today. Honestly, the hand wringing and "doom and gloom" over every move made by a FO and coaching staff, before even one regular season game has been played, is mind numbing.

i think there are just some people not really paying attention, but rather looking for opportunities to express outrage. That's the only explanation for some of it.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My questions are. Could we have gotten this guy anyway after the cuts? Does he bring anything to the team that Tate or Reilly couldn't bring?

If Seymour was going to be cut anyway, I get trading him, but why not for a more relevant pick instead of a player who appears to be a lateral move from our cut receivers and a 7th round pick two years from now.

Question 1: No. Kaelin was making the Panthers team.

Question 2: Reilly can't do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fLI1tn_VNo

Question 3: Because Kaelin is not a "lateral move from our cut receivers" in Beane's estimation.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

From what I've seen, Panthers fans not too happy about losing Clay so the outrage works both ways. He looked very good in camp and PS, according to them. Of course, Seymour actually did not look good in camp or preseason, but I guess he will always have that graphic from last year.

At the end of the day its swapping fringe players to better build each team. It's happening around the league. It's neither unexpected or worth the "omg he just hates Whaley guys" outrage. Most of the players on the team when they got here were Whaley picks. Odds are simply when one is cut, it was a Whaley pick.

They also re-signed, kept, extended and are featuring some Whaley guys. Not all high character either. And they cut some high character, lunch pail types too. The narratives are just a bit out of control at this point.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i think there are just some people not really paying attention, but rather looking for opportunities to express outrage. That's the only explanation for some of it.

Or probably wondering if totally dismantling the unit is the best approach when you have a solid young core of (cheap outside of Gilmore) man cover guys that can be hard to come by

I think you are right. Maybe it is the past 17 years taking its toll. It shouldn't, as it has no relevance whatsoever to the current FO and coaching staff...

Good trade for the Bills. Arguing against that is unreasonable. Seymour wasn't on track to make the Bills. Clay will likely make the team. Throw in an extra (not-quite-meaningless) draft pick, and it is clear the Bills got a bit of value where there wasn't anything.

I've started 3-4 threads that ask the philosophy... you know, the boil it down to 2-3 sentences kind of mission statement and the closest I can come is "be just good enough to build credibility this year while preserving everything you can for the real restocking next year."

They trade Watkins and Darby for picks - lie about it being to win now and the future. Boldin says - this isn't a win now team and says I'm out. Then they want players to toe the line with discipline like Dareus? I believe they extended Wood in an attempt to calm things down.

For me there's two things: 1) It can be a dangerous slope lying about something obvious and expecting people to believe you 2) If you're actually not lying (which is lying to yourself) then you're not smart nor good at your job.

They trade Watkins and Darby for picks - lie about it being to win now and the future. Boldin says - this isn't a win now team and says I'm out. Then they want players to toe the line with discipline like Dareus? I believe they extended Wood in an attempt to calm things down.

For me there's two things: 1) It can be a dangerous slope lying about something obvious and expecting people to believe you 2) If you're actually not lying (which is lying to yourself) then you're not smart nor good at your job.

No, they traded Watkins and Darby for picks AND players. Players who figure to play a lot for the Bills this year. Had they traded them just for picks, there would be a case that he was lied to.

Is that why those teams had to throw picks in to sweeten the pot?

How do trades work?

Is it worse player + pick for better player?

Or is it better player + pick for worse player?

You're not making any sense here. Is Sammy better at his spot than Gaines? Yes. Is Darby better than Matthews? No.

And it doesn't matter. We got two guys, both of whom project as starters. Matthews has been very productive and Gaines was on the All Rookie team. It is not like only getting picks.

You're not making any sense here. Is Sammy better at his spot than Gaines? Yes. Is Darby better than Matthews? No.

And it doesn't matter. We got two guys, both of whom project as starters. Matthews has been very productive and Gaines was on the All Rookie team. It is not like only getting picks.

Darby isn't better than Matthews? Why did the Eagles trade a 3rd and Matthews for Darby then?

Do you think the Pats would go for Tom Brady + a first round pick for Tyrod?

Darby isn't better than Matthews? Why did the Eagles trade a 3rd and Matthews for Darby then?

Do you think the Pats would go for Tom Brady + a first round pick for Tyrod?

Because Beane did his job well. The continual belief that we only traded two guys for draft picks when we got two starters plus picks is just asinine.

Because Beane did his job well. The continual belief that we only traded two guys for draft picks when we got two starters plus picks is just asinine.

Worse starters. I feel like we just discussed this.

Philosophiclly, it's not much different than getting picks. Because you're making your team worse in the short term for long-term assets.

Trades work based on perceived value. Sammy was traded for CB Gaines. I'm sure everyone agrees that Sammy is a better player than Gaines, hence the Rams threw in a 2nd rounder. Darby was traded for WR Matthews. The Eagles felt Darby is a better than Matthews so they threw in a 3rd rounder. Time will ultimately tell how the trades worked out, but as it stands right now, I think the Bills got the better end because compared to last year they got players who will be more productive and they got picks.

Reasonable people will wait until after all the draft picks from next year will have played a season to make that judgement. But keep whining

Company man

The Jets game going to look more like Lafayette vs Cornell than an actual NFL game. We must have the worst back seven in the league. At least we have a GM who takes action !!!!! :doh: But I guess I'm just a whiner.... 18 years is not so long. Every move has made the current roster worse. oooops, whining again... Out