Your favorite non-star/non-big name Bills of all time?

So the likes of Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Kyle Williams, Joe D, Shaw etc.....wouldn't count.

These are players that were contributors, may not have been a top contributor, but someone you always rooted for. Maybe someone that does all the dirty work and didn't get the accolades. Maybe players in which the casual NFL never even heard of.

For me, it's Carwell Gardner, Kurt Schultz, Brad Butler (hated he retired early) and Gabe Northern.

Bobby Chandler, maybe. And Mini-Max Anderson.

Does Tasker count? Even when they used him at receiver he was always making plays. Cribbs? Too much of a start?

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really only being around for the post millennium Bills makes a long list:

Roscoe Parrish: great punt returner. Wish he could have been more on offense

Paul Poz: Got beaten up a lot on the messageboards but he was (and still is) a solid starter. Just not a highlightreel player.

George Wilson: how could you not love that guy

Michael Gaines: Remember that TE that was challenging with Royal to be the starter? No? Well, he was a hot commodity on he boards for oh say, 2 weeks.

Angelo Crowell: What a strange career. Put together some solid seasons and then injuries came along and he vanished. Those seasons we're fun though

John Wendling: Legend has it he is still jumping over buildings. Awesome STer. Hard hitter.

David Nelson: That taller lanky receiver that kept being a solid contributor but the coaches like Donald Jones better for whatever reason.

Kaweeki.. Kawikia... K Mitchell: remember he was the "big" FA acquisition for the offseason. Had some solid games but ultimately the injury bug got him too.

Brandon Spikes(the first time around): thumper that the team and Pettine needed.

Nick Barrnet: same boat as Mitchell

Frank Summers: the "bowling ball". The most stereotypical FB to wear a Bills uniform. Not much technique but you don't want to get in front of him either.

Sure there are more that'll come to mind

An old fart's perspective:

Wray Carlton

George Saimes

Paul Maguire

Elbert Dubenion

I gave swimming lessons to the daughters of Saimes and Maguire, so there was a personal connection there.

They were all stars on their respective teams. On those teams, a guy who was not a star but really contributed was TE Ernie Warlick.

Bobby Chandler, maybe. And Mini-Max Anderson.

Does Tasker count? Even when they used him at receiver he was always making plays. Cribbs? Too much of a start?

Tasker was a star. I believe he made a number of Pro Bowls. He should have been used as a receiver years before they started doing it.

Leonard Smith and Terrence McGee. Loved the hammer smith brought. Loved watching McGee return kicks and his feistiness on D. Joe Cribbs is my all time favorite, but he was a star.....just a forgotten star unless you're a Bills fan

Edited by NewEra

An old fart's perspective:

Wray Carlton

George Saimes

Paul Maguire

Elbert Dubenion

I gave swimming lessons to the daughters of Saimes and Maguire, so there was a personal connection there.

two out those four were outstanding

George Jakowenko

3228-446Fr.jpg

How could you not pull for the guy... And say his name! I think it was Rick Azar doing play-by-play during Jackowenko's brief stint in BFLo. Jackowenko was born in Charleroi, Belgium too.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JakoGe20.htm

Went to Syracuse also.

I was 8 and running around the house saying: "You be the football, I'll be Jackowenko!" Yep, such a young age and already acting strange, hitching my horses to the esoteric ones!"

Too bad he didn't pan out!