Just talked to a former player from the SB years

major

The last five plus years the Bills tried to slap a band aid on a bullet wound "just" to get into the playoffs. IT DIDN'T WORK. Their are many band aid players that were on the team, some are now gone. Time for a new way, a way to win in the playoffs and it starts with a franchise QB. A bad year this year can lead to a decade of winning, division championships, and even a Super Bowl. I am fine with it.

Edited by bisonbrigade

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the run the GM and HC out of town train has already arrived at the station.

We can not keep doing this no matter how painful. Gonna have to see a GM / HC for more than 3 years no matter the resultsl. Insanity would be not letting this play out for more than 3 years

Edited by ddaryl

So the run the GM and HC out of town train has already arrived at the station.

We can not keep doing this no matter how painful. Gonna have to see a GM / HC for more than 3 years no matter the resultsl. Insanity would be not letting this play out for more than 3 years

Yup.

This is CNN level ridiculous.

The Beane/McDermott backlash is astounding to me. It's (hate using this word but applies here) literally impossible to know what's going to happen.

What's pretty indisputable is that Beane and McDermott are on the same page, and trying to build a team, and making some bold moves with an eye toward the future. I have confidence that it's the right approach, but am by no means certain about it.

Its likely going to be painful, but let's at least see what happens.

Edited by dubs

The last five plus years the Bills tried to slap a band aid on a bullet wound "just" to get into the playoffs. IT DIDN'T WORK. Their are many band aid players that were on the team, some are now gone. Time for a new way, a way to win in the playoffs and it starts with a franchise QB. A bad year this year can lead to a decade of winning, division championships, and even a Super Bowl. I am fine with it.

Keep telling yourself that. The Bills had the 4th overall pick in 2002 and it didn't lead to anything special. The Bills had the 3rd overall pick in 2011 and that didn't change their losing ways, either. In 2004 and 2013 they drafted first round QBs, both of whom busted. In 2009, they had a cartload of draft picks, too: 2 firsts and 2 seconds IIRC. They picked the great Aaron Maybin with their first pick. The reality is that the Bills drafting has sucked ... and that they've fired old scouts and hired new ones means nothing. They could have been victims/beneficiaries of the regime change.

So, why the hell should anybody think that the current regime, which has done the same kind of $$$-motivated personnel moves previous failed regimes have made and has fielded as inept an offensive unit as any that Dick Jauron ever put on the field, is going to produce anything but another loser that will set up the team for more losing seasons into the foreseeable future?

Edited by SoTier

Keep telling yourself that. The Bills had the 4th overall pick in 2002 and it didn't lead to anything special. The Bills had the 3rd overall pick in 2011 and that didn't change their losing ways, either. In 2004 and 2013 they drafted first round QBs, both of whom busted. In 2009, they had a cartload of draft picks, too: 2 firsts and 2 seconds IIRC. They picked the great Aaron Maybin with their first pick. The reality is that the Bills drafting has sucked ... and that they've fired old scouts and hired new ones means nothing. They could have been victims/beneficiaries of the regime change.

So, why the hell should anybody think that the current regime, which has done the same kind of $$$-motivated personnel moves previous failed regimes have made and has fielded as inept an offensive unit as any that Dick Jauron ever put on the field, is going to produce anything but another loser that will set up the team for more losing seasons into the foreseeable future?

You're a blast at parties, aren't you?

:lol:

Fair enough, but for $100...Sammy plays all year?....or Sammy gets hurt? What would you do? Franchise a guy who misses time and may need another op+rehab?

......Or try to trade him and get nothing..? They gambled and made the right move in my eyes. I kinda know someone very close to Sammy and I get the self-centered,prima donna vibe. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

I don't get the whole purge argument. Gaines may be just as good as Darby would have in this scheme. Matthews will probably put up numbers just as good as sammy this year, and we gained a couple of high picks.

They traded Ragland who wsn't cutting it....and I feel they didn't get enough, but all this complaining about purging I just don't get. My biggest beef is a proven failure as our oline coach....and why aren't Miller and Dawkins penciled in on the right side period.! I can't for the life of me figure out why this team has ignored the right tackle spot since...Eric Pears?

This argument still makes no sense because they don't have to decide whether or not to tag him until the beginning of March after this season is over.

The chances of him needing another operation on his foot is remote. Several other WRs have had the same injury, needed a second operation to fix it and NONE have had any reoccurring issues from it since.

Different regime, different scouting department, different coach, different GM, different owner. Do not hold the offenses of the past against them. BILLIEVE!

Seriously? The Bills were disciplined enough to win over 50 games during the SB years but they lost 4 because of a lack of discipline?

And they lost to the Cowboys because Dallas was more disciplined? Charles Haley and Mike Irvin would make this board's collective head spin off its shoulders if they were Buffalo Bills.

Bill Parcells was Lawrence Taylor's biggest enabler. And Bill Billichick has put up with Gronkowski's antics and injuries for years. Do you really believe that Bilichick didn't know Aaron Hernandez was a scumbag when he drafted him?

The only thing that Johnson, Parcells, and Belichick care about is how a player performs on the field. They don't care if the guy is a great citizen, or shows up on on time for stretching sessions, or tells the media that he needs more the ball more.

These guys are great coaches because they know how to maximize the talent on their rosters to win games. It has nothing to do with culture, or process, or adherence to scheme.

I'm quite serious, it's pretty well known the Bills did some very serious partying prior to the first two Super Bowl losses. It's been documented by the press that Parcells didn't let his guys out while the Bills were having a blast during Super Bowl week. Lots of whispers about Kelly being hung over during the Redskin loss and let's not forget about Thomas losing his helmet. The teams were very good but could have been better.

My comment was that I can't imagine Parcells or Belichick meeting with the players individually to see how much they would give. They would find out on the practice field and during games.

As far as being only concerned about how they performed on the field that couldn't be further from the truth. If you read any stories by their current and former players you would get a far different opinion. Haven't you heard of the "Patriot Way"? Belichcik runs a very tight ship. Gronkowski hasn't done anything "bad" he's a fun loving kid but he hasn't been in trouble or mouthed off in the press. Hernandez is the only Patriot Incan think of during Belichicks time there that has been in trouble. You rock the boat under him and you are gone.

Different regime, different scouting department, different coach, different GM, different owner. Do not hold the offenses of the past against them. BILLIEVE!

Some people just can't let go. That must really suck!

Whaley left Beane with a steaming pile of dog crap.

Yet there are people who expected him to look at the pile and think to himself that he can immediately turn it into apple pie.

False. He left them with a group of players that with the right scheme are a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense.

Edited by Elite Poster

Players on those Super Bowl teams were not loveable underdogs.

They were superstars and knew it. They were the over dogs. If anything they actually underachieved given the talent on those rosters.

I don't think Bills fans today truly get how deep and how talented those teams were.

Guys on those teams were arrogant superstars who were used to winning almost all the time.

That was the Bills at one time, crazy as it sounds now

Edited by TheFunPolice

They were superstars and knew it. They were the over dogs. If anything they actually underachieved given the talent on those rosters.

I don't think Bills fans today truly get how deep and how talented those teams were.

Guys on those teams were arrogant superstars who were used to winning almost all the time.

Used to winning all the time ... except on Super Bowl Sunday. That nets you the 31st pick in the draft and no trophy.

C'mon man! Underachieved? If 6 division titles ( with another actual NFL QB in the AFCE at the time) 4 straight AFC championships ( in 5 appearances) and 8 playoff appearances in 10 season is underachieving, I want more of that underachievement. Yeah we know what happened in Supe XXV but that was just a bit of bad luck. That kick goes through and everything is different. Some SB's are close. We can't say that group underachieved because the Cowboys were just more talented on D and the Redskins had one magic season in '91. That's bad luck. I'd say if they had met the 49ers twice ( a better matchup for those Bills) the Bills do no worse than split those SB's. It's still a game of matchups.