Just got back from the Ravens Game

Virgil

I don't know if I had to see it live or what, but I think I'm finally understanding what the team is doing. I think it's so easy to underestimate the mental toughness and Buy-in needed from players into the coaching and the scheme. I also believe that you can become a mental loser and not understand a winning culture.

Even with all the turnover on the defensive side of the ball (only 4 starters left from last year), they still look so much further ahead than the offense. Why? Because of the turnover in my opinion.

I think that most of the offensive needs to be blown up more. It's nothing against Tyrod, Mills (Even though he's a dumpster fire) or anyone else. The mental mistakes these guys are just used to making is so obvious. The batted down balls, illegal formation, all of it.

I don't really think it matters who our QB is with this offensive line and their super combo of penalties and terrible blocking. It all just needs to be blown up with guys who weren't part of the Rex Ryan clown show. And yes, I think even Incognito is part of that. These guys just don't know how to not mess up anymore. Rex broke them.

And yes, the offensive coaching staff deserves some of the blame for not fitting scheme to talent. This is the same line as last year, but now we can't even run the ball so far.

Yes, it's preseason. Yes, we are seeing vanilla. But the issues aren't about scheme really. This is just an old losing mentality and you can just see the difference between the players from last year vs this one.

Call it a rebuild, can it whatever. But all the players with Rex PTSD need to go.

Think about this........

Chan Gailey took a team as bad as this one, and did a respectable job trying to make it look respectable.

This coaching staff isn't trying to do that...........

If we had Wade Phillips as HC, Chan Gailey as OC, and Jim Schwartz as DC, we'd be winning games.

All those guys got cut loose by team management..............there's the problem...............

Edited by B Fan in LA

Think about this........

Chan Gailey took a team as bad as this one, and did a respectable job trying to make it look respectable.

If we had Wade Phillips as HC, Chan Gailey as OC, and Jim Schwartz as DC, we'd be winning games.

All those guys got cut loose by team management..............there's the problem...............

But it's a totally new owner and management team. I mean, Pegula was here with Schwartz but I'm not sure how much blame I lay on a brand new owner who was blindsided by his coach opting out of his contract. Those are pretty unusual circumstances.

Isn't it a bit too early to say that they're not trying to make things look respectable and they're losing games? It's preseason, where it's very typical for teams not to show much of anything. People are acting like we're half way through the season and we're 0-8 or something...

Do you mean pre-season games? Are we ready to give up on this regime before a single regular season game is played?

Pre - season ??

How many batted balls were there tonight?

Wasn't it like 6 to 0 ? How can that number be so lopsided ???

Is that because our QB's haven't seen D players with their arms up in practice?

Could that be because our DC doesn't game plan for that ?

WTF ????

Think about this........

This is Rex Ryan in reverse. Ryan blew up a very good defense and improved the offense. McDermott is blowing up a decent offense and putting the defense back in the scheme it belongs.

Edited by Wiz

Pre - season ??

How many batted balls were there tonight?

Wasn't it like 6 to 0 ? How can that number be so lopsided ???

Is that because our QB's haven't seen D players with their arms up in practice?

Could that be because our DC doesn't game plan for that ?

WTF ????

You gameplan to create passing lanes, so yeah, that is what it means...

This is Rex Ryan in reverse. Ryan blew up a very good defense and improved the offense. McDermott is blowing up a decent offense and improving the defense.

I'm not really sure how he blew up the offense. Woods left in FA and Sammy was traded. They improved the WR corps overall though from what they had last year (especially without Sammy in the field).

Its not like McDermott came in and fired Lynn either, like Rex did with Schwartz.

I don't really see any way they could have kept Anthony Lynn as OC. He left to be a head coach. So what do you do, try and find someone to come in that will run Lynn's/Roman's offense? I'm not sure of the quality of OC you are going to get if you are hiring with the provision that they can't run their own offense and must run Roman's. It's likely not going to be a guy that has many other options.

I get what you're saying though. The offense was good last year. Hopefully they keep some of the concepts that worked well from the previous 2 seasons. We will know if they did once regular season stats. Supposedly they were keeping the run concepts that worked best last year.

I want the Bills to be good on both sides of the ball in the same season too. But I understand why McDermott brought in an OC with a proven scheme, especially when he didn't have the choice to keep the OC who had been running last year's offense.

That Kubiak offense has been pretty successful in the NFL over the years. Hopefully in the long run it will be successful here too.

This is Rex Ryan in reverse. Ryan blew up a very good defense and improved the offense. McDermott is blowing up a decent offense and putting the defense back in the scheme it belongs.

Not really the same. Rex intended to run his own defense so he let go of Schwartz. Anthony Lynn got a head coaching gig somewhere else and took half of the offensive coaching staff. Not sure McDermott had much of a choice in "blowing the offense up".

I'm not really sure how he blew up the offense. Woods left in FA and Sammy was traded. They improved the WR corps overall though from what they had last year (especially without Sammy in the field).

Its not like McDermott came in and fired Lynn either, like Rex did with Schwartz.

I don't really see any way they could have kept Anthony Lynn as OC. He left to be a head coach. So what do you do, try and find someone to come in that will run Lynn's/Roman's offense? I'm not sure of the quality of OC you are going to get if you are hiring with the provision that they can't run their own offense and must run Roman's. It's likely not going to be a guy that has many other options.

I get what you're saying though. The offense was good last year. Hopefully they keep some of the concepts that worked well from the previous 2 seasons. We will know if they did once regular season stats. Supposedly they were keeping the run concepts that worked best last year.

I want the Bills to be good on both sides of the ball in the same season too. But I understand why McDermott brought in an OC with a proven scheme, especially when he didn't have the choice to keep the OC who had been running last year's offense.

That Kubiak offense has been pretty successful in the NFL over the years. Hopefully in the long run it will be successful here too.

It's somewhat a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". The offense led the league in rushing each of the last 2 years. So, what happens? An OC is brought in with a different line-blocking scheme. It seems Miller may be struggling with this new scheme or Ducasse is just Castillo's buddy or both. Missing Glenn is likely playing a big part also but right now the collective O-Line is not playing well. Maybe they just need some more time to jell.

We just signed Eric Wood to a 2-year extension so that interpretation can't be right. Get rid of Incognito because of penalties in a preseason game where the refs went crazy on both teams? Absolutely not.

Yes, they need to do that!!! Throw them all in a tank, and then, tank!

I don't know if I had to see it live or what, but I think I'm finally understanding what the team is doing. I think it's so easy to underestimate the mental toughness and Buy-in needed from players into the coaching and the scheme. I also believe that you can become a mental loser and not understand a winning culture.

Even with all the turnover on the defensive side of the ball (only 4 starters left from last year), they still look so much further ahead than the offense. Why? Because of the turnover in my opinion.

I think that most of the offensive needs to be blown up more. It's nothing against Tyrod, Mills (Even though he's a dumpster fire) or anyone else. The mental mistakes these guys are just used to making is so obvious. The batted down balls, illegal formation, all of it.

I don't really think it matters who our QB is with this offensive line and their super combo of penalties and terrible blocking. It all just needs to be blown up with guys who weren't part of the Rex Ryan clown show. And yes, I think even Incognito is part of that. These guys just don't know how to not mess up anymore. Rex broke them.

And yes, the offensive coaching staff deserves some of the blame for not fitting scheme to talent. This is the same line as last year, but now we can't even run the ball so far.

Yes, it's preseason. Yes, we are seeing vanilla. But the issues aren't about scheme really. This is just an old losing mentality and you can just see the difference between the players from last year vs this one.

Call it a rebuild, can it whatever. But all the players with Rex PTSD need to go.

This makes no sense about the OLine since it was one of the best in football last year, save for Mills pass blocking...you realize we did lead the NFL in rushing last year and led in YPC right? You don't do that wioth bad OLines...

Edited by matter2003

Last night was the first time I saw them play at length. This team will be lucky to win five games. The defense looks better (it could not look worse than Rex's) but the offense will score 8-10 points less per game than last year. Their scheme change on offense has turned a great running team into a trash fire.

I lay it at the feet of the Pegulas. Hiring Rex Ryan was just about the worst thing they could possibly have done when they took over. I don't have any faith in their hand-chosen coach and GM. This team was on the brink of making a leap forward when Marone quit. If they had let Whaley keep Schwartz and his scheme, hire Hue Jackson or one of the other offense-minded head coaching candidates who were willing to work with Schwartz and his crew, this team would have been in the playoffs the last two seasons.

Instead they are trading away or otherwise losing their best players and headed for a top-ten draft pick.

Do you mean pre-season games? Are we ready to give up on this regime before a single regular season game is played?

You expect a turnaround? We'll see.

Not really the same. Rex intended to run his own defense so he let go of Schwartz. Anthony Lynn got a head coaching gig somewhere else and took half of the offensive coaching staff. Not sure McDermott had much of a choice in "blowing the offense up".

Whaley wanted to hire Lynn as Head Coach and then pick a new D.C. It would have been a better way to go.

Edited by Dr. K