Dareus sent home for violating a team rule

Hit him where he's fattest...........in the wallet ;)

how do you punish someone this wealthy?

Financial penalties still can hurt even someone like Dareus. Team fines or suspensions can hurt badly. Notably, he would not get paid for games he is suspended for and the amount lost would be refunded to the team's cap space. He's at about $610k salary per game. That would have to hurt, especially if it is an escalating punishment. He just got a 1 game violation (although no financial penalty since it was a preseason game). Next might be 2 games for $1.22M, etc.

Edited by BarleyNY

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be fair how would everyone have felt if Dareus walked? Someone would have paid him.

ask those who are calling for his head. I'm in the minority when it comes to that. I realize he's had his chances but were talking about not being punctual to a preseason game. if it were smoking a blunt or doing burnouts on his way late to the stadium I may have some concerns. at this point, he was disciplined and is still part of the team. if they were to rid of him, he'll be gone and the team will move on as should the fans.

I strongly disagree.

When I was a young army officer, I was taught, "You can come in like a lion and leave as a sheep. But if you enter as a sheep, you'll never be a lion."

As a guy who builds teams for a living (albeit in a very different profession), I passionately believe you have to be clear about your expectations from the very beginning. There has to be strong accountability that doesn't play favorites.

Accountability comes from the word 'count.' You count up the good or bad someone does and reward/punish them in measure. Holding people accountable isn't being a hard a$$. It's just being both smart and strong. Most people want to be on a high-performing team rather than in a loosey-goosey Rex Ryan environment that produces losing.

McD's commitment to accountability won't just create a better team, it has a very good chance of making Dareus a better player.

in theory you are right, but even Bill Parcels and Bill Belecheat played favorites with Lawrence Taylor.It is documented that first year 4-12 head coach Parcells was a diciplianaraian,but he had a few players that had their own rules....L.T. was such a talent Parcells let him be....

I've not commented on any Darius threads for the last few years, mostly because I have some knowledge that could get a person or two in hot water. I can't remain entirely silent on the matter anymore. While I won't divulge what I know or from whom I can assure you all that he makes very bad decisions and rolls with some people that are shady AF.

I know some people will doubt this, and rightly so given the lack of details, sources, etc. But I trust the info I've been given. The dude is a goddam **** head.

I've not commented on any Darius threads for the last few years, mostly because I have some knowledge that could get a person or two in hot water. I can't remain entirely silent on the matter anymore. While I won't divulge what I know or from whom I can assure you all that he makes very bad decisions and rolls with some people that are shady AF.

I know some people will doubt this, and rightly so given the lack of details, sources, etc. But I trust the info I've been given. The dude is a goddam **** head.

Thanks for the inside info.

I strongly disagree.

When I was a young army officer, I was taught, "You can come in like a lion and leave as a sheep. But if you enter as a sheep, you'll never be a lion."

As a guy who builds teams for a living (albeit in a very different profession), I passionately believe you have to be clear about your expectations from the very beginning. There has to be strong accountability that doesn't play favorites.

Accountability comes from the word 'count.' You count up the good or bad someone does and reward/punish them in measure. Holding people accountable isn't being a hard a$$. It's just being both smart and strong. Most people want to be on a high-performing team rather than in a loosey-goosey Rex Ryan environment that produces losing.

McD's commitment to accountability won't just create a better team, it has a very good chance of making Dareus a better player.

while I totally agree that if you're going to ask for accountability you have to do so believably from the first minute, at this point, I doubt Dareus is ever going to get it. I'd love to see it, but he's had so many chances that I just can't believe he is going to ever really own his problems.

Bill Walsh for one came in without a single NFL game and put a ton of rules in place for the Niners and had an awful first season. At least one coach was fired by Walsh for going behind his back to management saying he was putting too much emphasis on piddly-ass rules. Management stuck by Walsh and the coach was gone.

There's a reason teachers are told not to smile till Christmas. You don't earn the right to make the rules with good performance over time. It's putting your rules in place that tends to determine what kind of performance you'll have in the long run.

I think you've got to elaborate at least a tiny bit otherwise this really doesn't add anything to the conversation and only muddies the water. I'm not saying spill everything but you are so incredibly vague that I think it actually takes away from a discussion instead of adding to it

he didn't create the contract. it was whaley who put them in the financial bind. as for comparing him to haynesworth. that's a pretty poor comparison. he was late to the game, he was disaplined for it. when he is out there on the field he is a beast and force to recon with.

....seriously?....who cares who created the contract?....Whaley's gone so a deal is NO LONGER a deal and he doesn't have to live up to what he signed?....BTW, I do realize he has been an upstanding citizen and model teammate until his FIRST slip up as in missing the bus.....sorry, Fat Albert Haynesworth II stands......can't believe a guy of your football knowledge and conjecture would make excuses for this diva....

Wasn't it Dareus that was suspended for parts of the last two games of the Marrone Era for being late? Not much growing upo has occured since then.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/06/03/bills-dareus-crashes-is-charged-with-drag-racing/9908215/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bills-dareus-fails-conditioning-test-20140721-story.html

http://973espn.com/bills-marcell-dareus-enters-substance-abuse-program/

It wasn't like there weren't huge red flags waving all over the place before they signed that idiotic extension with him. Doug Whaley is the gift that will keep on giving until about 2021.

EDIT: that's why I said that realistically the best possible outcome for Bills fans is that he goes all Josh Gordon on us.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I wonder if McDermott before sending Dareus home asked him, "Who do you think you are?" Get it? No? That was the best i had, I'm done for the day...

"Mr. Big Stuff

Who do you think you are

Mr. Big Stuff

You're never gonna get my love…"

That Mr. Big Stuff?