Dareus sent home for violating a team rule

I don't care what you have to do to keep Dareus on the field, you just do it. If there was anybody remotely able to replace him it would be different. Not a one of us is in that locker room to know what is the right move to make. All fans see is what happens on the field with him, and what we see is an elite talent. you don't throw that away.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a history of lateness and hasn't gotten past it. EOS.

Thank you for clearing that up. I am glad to hear that his History of Lateness, a rather minor error of judgement (particularly given when that lateness is to an exhibition game), is the sole reason for concern regarding a young man who was guaranteed $60 million starting last year. I feel a lot better.

EDIT: I feel even better after reading a comment on the "Rumors that Bills are entertaining offers for Sammy" thread (I won't mention the poster!)

It's a rumor that doesn't seem to make much sense from a non-credible source.

:D Sometimes we need a little old fashioned Kremlinology in interpreting the little things that go on in Billsland ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

So late it is then.

Jason is a Baltimore guy and very credible. Sounds like he was awfully late. I love that he got some tough love. On a positive, it's week 3 of pre season, hopefully this can turn out to be a positive, as Dareus realizes there's zero room for error.

I think he knows he so naturally skilled that he can slack off and still play at a high level. Apparently his conditioning and commitment have been impressive so far. Coaches and players have both said it. The hope is Dareus embraces that role and dominates, if this is the worse Dareus news I hear, I'll take that every year

Stuck with the deal unless we want a lot of dead money. Hope the guy just shows up and dominates Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that's one way of looking at it. But look, he's a sunk cost. If Beane becomes convinced that he'll never be a very productive DT again--and by that I mean he won't be any better than some waiver wire pickup like Jerel Worthy--then he probably has no qualms about cutting ties with Dareus, but the horrific dead cap hit ($38 million this year, $22 million next year, then "just" $8 million in 2019) makes it unlikely that will happen anytime soon. Best case scenario: he plays o.k. in the regular season, keeps out of trouble, and you can swing some kind of Albert Haynesworth-to-the-Pats deal for him. Second best case scenario: he melts down, gets a lifetime suspension, and you're off the hook.

EDIT: I guess I kind of agree with aristrocrat after all. I was trying to talk myself out of it. It didn't really work ...

Well, that's one way of looking at it. But look, he's a sunk cost. If Beane becomes convinced that he'll never be a very productive DT again--and by that I mean he won't be any better than some waiver wire pickup like Jerel Worthy--then he probably has no qualms about cutting ties with Dareus, but the horrific dead cap hit ($38 million this year, $22 million next year, then "just" $8 million in 2019) makes it unlikely that will happen anytime soon. Best case scenario: he plays o.k. in the regular season, keeps out of trouble, and you can swing some kind of Albert Haynesworth-to-the-Pats deal for him. Second best case scenario: he melts down, gets a lifetime suspension, and you're off the hook.

Given how talented Dareus is and how excellent he's been before as a DT in a 4-3 defense, this is not even close to being the best case scenario.

Given how talented Dareus is and how excellent he's been before as a DT in a 4-3 defense, this is not even close to being the best case scenario.

Seriously. He's an absolute beast. Offenses have to spend time game planning around him. You can't treat him like a regular player, for money and talent reasons. If Dareus can dominate like he should, he takes an already good looking D to the next level Edited by JerseyBills

I think you've got to elaborate at least a tiny bit otherwise this really doesn't add anything to the conversation and only muddies the water. I'm not saying spill everything but you are so incredibly vague that I think it actually takes away from a discussion instead of adding to it

I wish I could, but it's very specific to the point that saying anything more would be too much. If you don't like it, oh well.

I don't buy that. They said the same thing about Albert Haynesworth when the Pats acquired him from the Redskins. And while the Pats have (sensibly) never been completely wedded to any particular defensive scheme, there's no doubt they would've found a scheme that worked with Haynesworth IF he had shown the motivation to be great again. (They even ran a 4-3 in some preseason games.) He didn't, and he was gone after Week 8.

No team will which means it's not realistic.

@mikerodak

Trading Marcell Dareus now actually is realistic under the salary cap — if you can find another team willing to take $17.1M in GTD salary.

DIQYw2AW4AEWWpn.jpg

Now this is more promising. Again, that's what the Redskins were able to do with Haynesworth. If Dareus can stay on the field and be productive - not 2014 productive, just "above average DT" productive - there's hope ... and I really do think they'll be trying to get something done this season.

I don't buy that. They said the same thing about Albert Haynesworth when the Pats acquired him from the Redskins. And while the Pats have (sensibly) never been completely wedded to any particular defensive scheme, there's no doubt they would've found a scheme that worked with Haynesworth IF he had shown the motivation to be great again. (They even ran a 4-3 in some preseason games.) He didn't, and he was gone after Week 8.

He was 1st team All-Pro DT in 2014. You don't have to buy anything, but it's a fact.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He was 1st team All-Pro DT in 2014. You don't have to buy anything, but it's a fact.

And Haynesworth wasn't when he was in a 4-3 with the Titans? Great/motivated players find a way to be productive in different schemes under different coaches. A cautionary tale (and so far everything Dareus has done is consistent with this):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chris-cooley-albert-haynesworth-was-an-awful-human-being/

His goal was to come here, make a large signing bonus, and then get released and not have to do any of the work. He didn’t care about the back end of that contract, he didn’t care about making all of that money. His idea was, you paid me for what I did in the past, and my goal is to be released as soon as possible and basically take $33 million from you for absolutely nothing.”

Mission accomplished, Albert.

Cooley was asked again if that truly was Haynesworth's plan.

“Yes,” he insisted. “His goal from the get-go was to take that money. He also indicated to many players on the team that his new goal was to get released as soon as possible, sign another maybe $10, 12 million contract -- that’s verbatim -- go somewhere, play for a year and probably get released, and keep that money too.

People are motivated by different things. Some people win the Powerball, they stay working at their old jobs. Some quit the day they win. Some start charities and do the things for their families that they've always wanted to do. Some go straight to Vegas and do the old Tug McGraw (and/or Georgie Best, and/or many others): "80 percent of it I spent on good times, women, and Irish Whiskey [err, good weed for others?]; the rest of it I wasted."

Why assume that all players are motivated by some corny old saw like, "Be the best you can be," or "Strive to maximize your potential?" Many are; that's often why they've reached the pinnacle of achievement by playing in the NFL. But some aren't, and there are a lot of examples.