McCoy is getting trolled hard over Kaepernick comments

Kaep was dumb to alienate half of the fan base by doing what he did with the anthem but he was mortally stupid to wear the Castro tee shirt.

The Castro t shirt is definitely divisive. It gets him help from activists while alienating a lot of fans. This puts owners in a bind like McCoy stated. He is a guy that a GM would probably take a chance on a a backup with hopes of a revival at some $, maybe not %9M. But that takes time and a team that signed him would be asked for hourly updates on his status. No thanks. That is basically what McCoy said.

Not that you need to keep quiet about all aspects of your beliefs because you play sports, you don't, but you have to look at the perspective of your potential employer's and assess your skills against the situation. It's not really that different from any employer. An average accountant who has a Facebook that takes controversial stances on all sorts of political crap is less likely to be hired than an average accountant that keeps to himself. If the Facebook accountant is awesome, he might get the job.

Kaep's complexity is a little deeper though. He has, in some ways, called out the customers of his employer. He did so indirectly by wearing the dumb cop socks portraying them as pigs, wearing the Castro shirt, etc. I didn't see him say "NFL fans are....". Even so, for all we know EJ Manuel or Geno Smith might think the same or opposite things, but because we don't know, they have jobs.

I hope Beane learned his lessons about being "annoyed" by customers and saying something stupid like that. Clearly his comments were restricted to football and not as societal or hot button, but talking down to customers is never productive.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with McCoy, but he should not have picked Vick to use in his analogy. If he would have said if Russell Wilson was the one who started the protesting, his team/owner probably would have put up with the flames because he is a great player and helps the team win, but because it's Kap, who is a backup at best, why would teams bring that dumpster fire on to their team to be a backup QB, one who is not going to help them win games?

He was asked specifically about Vick, likely because he played with him in Philly. His actual comments are not that controversial IMO. He didn't say the anthem had nothing to do with it, he didn't say Kaep sucked or was bad, he said "it has a lot to do with his play" and "the chaos that comes along with it, that's a lot". McCoy is speaking the truth. TBN published a feature piece written by Janine Talley (Darryl Talley's wife) where she pretty much said the same thing (I think the topic was Michael Sam), that the amount of distraction a team will tolerate because of a player varies along with the players skill level - stars get a lot of slack, marginal players or players on the bubble not so much - as I recall her point was that if Michael Sam had a Von Miller or Khalil Mack level of talent, he'd be a gay guy wearing an NFL jersey but because he was "meh", he's not.

"It’s a lot more than just he’s not on the team because he doesn’t want to stand for the national anthem," McCoy said. "That may have something to do with it, but I think also it has a lot to do with his play. I’m sure a lot of teams wouldn’t want him as their starting quarterback. That chaos that comes along with it, it’s a lot. As a team, trying to win and not have a distraction on the team, I just take that as a player – there’s certain players that could be on the team with big distractions, and there’s other players that it’s not good enough or not worth it. I think his situation is not good enough to have him on the team with all the attention that comes along with it."

McCoy said that if it were a player like Patriots quarterback Tom Brady or Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. who elected to protest, "you’ll deal with that attention and play him. With certain guys, it’s not worth it. It’s all what you believe in. I kind of stay out of it because everybody has their own beliefs and what they believe in. It is what it is."

McCoy has been around a similar situation in Philadelphia, when the Eagles signed quarterback Michael Vick after he was released from prison following his conviction on running a dog-fighting ring.

"That’s a great example. You take a guy like Michael Vick who went through what he went through. He’s 10 times better than Kaepernick," McCoy said. "You’ll deal with that situation, that attention, that media aspect of it. The good, the bad attention you’ll get. Compared to Kaepernick, it’s like, he’s not really that good of a player to deal with.

"So people outside of sports don’t really know that. They see only one side of a black guy standing up for a good reason, but the NFL is against him, but I think it’s more than that. I think it has to do with some of that. But also, dealing with him with him on the team you’re trying to build together. There’s so many outsiders can mess up a team. I can see both sides, I really can. I just don’t think a guy like him – a great example you used for Michael Vick, and I was on that team, and I haven’t seen more media for a player like that ever. And we’ll deal with a guy like Michael Vick or LeBron James. You’re going to deal with them, that attention, good or bad, positive or negative, compared to a guy like Kaepernick, who’s just OK. He’s an OK player, you know? He might not make certain teams. But them guys I talked about, they’re going to make them teams. They’re going to be the star of the teams."

(he refers to Vick as 'a great example' and 'a great example you used')

you mean like the distraction he caused during his whole incident with Philly PD? ah yes....the irony.

No, it's not ironic at all. It's entirely consistent with what McCoy said. As a star player already under contract, the team tolerated the distraction just as the 'Boys will with Elliot. His talent/distraction ratio is in his favor.

His point would be that in a second tier player like Wendell Smallwood, drafted in the 5th round by the Eagles in 2016 and looking decent enough when he's played, it probably wouldn't be tolerated.

It's a risk/reward talent/distraction ratio.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I am 100% certain that Shady doesn't give a damn about any criticism he receives for his Kaep comments. The man's candor is refreshing, and he is without a doubt my favorite current Bill.

As long as you're right, I'm fine with it.

I haven't seen anyone criticizing him actually - OP do you have a link? Just curious. Everything I've scene is people agreeing with him. Maybe I don't follow the people on twitter who care though lol

I saw a post on Facebook where a bunch of people were dumping on McCoy and attacking him for his comments. Really football ignorant people in many cases, people claiming Kaep has a Superbowl ring. (Joe Flacco called. He said Kaep can look at his if he wears plain socks). People claiming McCoy sucks as an RB and is washed up (hello, what team has led the league rushing the last 2 years and who is that team's RB?) or is always injured.

I haven't seen anyone criticizing him actually - OP do you have a link? Just curious. Everything I've scene is people agreeing with him. Maybe I don't follow the people on twitter who care though lol

Not the OP but here's an example, from someone who probably didn't read or listen to what McCoy actually said, complete with made up words enclosed in quotation marks.

http://www.thejaygravesreport.com/shady-mccoy-forgets-about-his-run-in-with-the-police-when-he-blasts-kaepernick-amnesia/

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

As long as you're right, I'm fine with it.

I saw a post on Facebook where a bunch of people were dumping on McCoy and attacking him for his comments. Really football ignorant people in many cases, people claiming Kaep has a Superbowl ring. (Joe Flacco called. He said Kaep can look at his if he wears plain socks). People claiming McCoy sucks as an RB and is washed up (hello, what team has led the league rushing the last 2 years and who is that team's RB?) or is always injured.

Not the OP but here's an example, from someone who probably didn't read or listen to what McCoy actually said, complete with made up words enclosed in quotation marks.

http://www.thejaygravesreport.com/shady-mccoy-forgets-about-his-run-in-with-the-police-when-he-blasts-kaepernick-amnesia/

Ah, Facebook. I'm guessing he didn't see it then :lol:

For Yolo, here's another example from someone who Doesn't Get It.

https://www.facebook.com/dbsy06/posts/1815349205443921?pnref=story

Ah, Facebook. I'm guessing he didn't see it then :lol:

It's news too. Why is the Facebook funny, is McCoy a known SM avoider?

I have been thinking about this protest thing and actually dont think its a players right to do. When they are at a game they are working, its a decision of the employer. Protests should be done on their own time.

Many things are in play in this situation, blackballing may not be the issue

Many teams dont need a QB. The Pats arnt blackballing him, they have 2 better QBs

Teams that dont have a good QB are choosing to go with young guys that they feel have upside. Kaep is what he is, and cant expect him it improve at this point.

Some people look at this stats and say he is better than__________ , but have not studied the tape. TT had stats that were fine but took a pretty big pay cut to stay.

If a team truly thought they would be in a better football place with him, he would be on a roster.

If I remember correctly, Kaep didn't take his first knee during the anthem until after he lost his starting job at QB. I'm not calling his actions disingenuous to his cause but it does seem a bit coincidental.

It also took Kaep a day to explain his reasoning, I've thought this all along.

The truth hurts! Most people protesting this situation don't even have a clue on what type of player he is, they just want to jump on the B word bandwagon and scream "it's not fair". Owners can make any decision they want, and if they feel the distraction he brings isn't worth the little to no contribution he'd bring on the field, then they have that right. This unfortunately is what our world has become.

I don't have any problem with Shady saying that Kaepernick isn't a good enough player to make the baggage worth it. That is most definitely true. I think he should have stayed completely away from whether there was a better way to make their message heard. If the Seahawks released Michael Bennett who is now sitting through the anthem he would be picked up immediately. I absolutely defend the right of the players to sit / take a knee. But the hysteria over what Shady said is a bit much. He just said what everyone knows to be true.

Are you one iota surprised by the overreaction, I certainly am not.

you mean like the distraction he caused during his whole incident with Philly PD? ah yes....the irony.

I think the irony is that a group who claims to be all about acceptance, tolerance and freedom of speech are destroying Shady for giving his opinion. Total hypocrites who try and bully people who don't share their beliefs.

long assed quote

Ah ok, WGR only played a portion of the quote I guess to make McCoy look as bad as possible.

Now that I read the full quote, I agree with McCoy even more.

I see we have a race relations expert here..... :wacko:

I have been wondering about that now that more & more NFL players are more mixed. More white genes vs. black genes etc. Is someone who is 90% white and 10% black still black?