Why Jordan Poyer received such high praise

cover1

If you follow me on Twitter, you know that when I started watching this guys film soon after he was signed, I really liked his game. I think he has a lot of the traits that McDermott looks for in his DBs and most of them have shown through two games. But if you just look at the box score, you may think to yourself, he hasn't really produced. But take a look at a few of the clips I put together on him. Enjoy

http://www.cover1.net/2017/08/jordan-poyers-brand-of-football/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea but it's Cleveland...

That's like bragging about being the tallest midget

Or

The skinniest person at fat camp

But in all seriousness I knew he'd be our starter when we signed him

it was his work ethic. There were a bunch of clowns on that team. He was one of the ones he could count on, and that was as a rookie. Edited by YoloinOhio

Great stuff as always Cover1; I really enjoy your breakdowns.

A very encouraging look at Poyer's game. Like you said, if we only watch the game once and then look at the stat line, so many great contributions from players get missed/overlooked by us fans. I think the D is going to be fun to watch this year---back to being a stout unit.

In the first play that you showed, when he was still a Brown, I love how he holds contain against both the QB and RB until he was sure the RB had the ball and then the RB made his decision on what hole to attack...and then he still got inside quick enough to make the tackle. How many big plays happen because someone didn't set the edge properly. Nice to see.

Outstanding stuff as usual, Eric. Much appreciated. I haven't seen much of him in Pettine's schemes in Cleveland so I've been wondering what he brings that McD would value so much in his. It's readily apparent he has the toughness required to force the play and I wouldn't have had that appreciation otherwise. That play he made to force the run into the pursuit was courageous. Not many guys are willing to sacrifice their bodies like that, especially when that play will never show up on a stat sheet. You can't teach desire.

Outstanding stuff as usual, Eric. Much appreciated. I haven't seen much of him in Pettine's schemes in Cleveland so I've been wondering what he brings that McD would value so much in his. It's readily apparent he has the toughness required to force the play and I wouldn't have had that appreciation otherwise. That play he made to force the run into the pursuit was courageous. Not many guys are willing to sacrifice their bodies like that, especially when that play will never show up on a stat sheet. You can't teach desire.

Well that is his job.

If my safety played Soft and folded on that kick out I would've yanked him. This is football not patty cake

He is what he is.

An average starter in a good scheme.

Safety is much more about instincts and awareness than physical traits so I think he'll play well. But he certainly is upgradable in the future

Overall agree but it really depends on the d line. D lines can make defensive backs. Hopefully, Poyer will be our Kurt Coleman.

Plus, it will be nice to have his lady around Buffalo. :)

Well that is his job.

If my safety played Soft and folded on that kick out I would've yanked him. This is football not patty cake

Yes, that's his job. And that job isn't for everybody so I'm glad it's a job he has the required toughness to play.

Overall agree but it really depends on the d line. D lines can make defensive backs. Hopefully, Poyer will be our Kurt Coleman.

Plus, it will be nice to have his lady around Buffalo. :)

A ferocious D line makes a secondary look a whole lot better.

It's easy to cover for 2 seconds

If you follow me on Twitter, you know that when I started watching this guys film soon after he was signed, I really liked his game. I think he has a lot of the traits that McDermott looks for in his DBs and most of them have shown through two games. But if you just look at the box score, you may think to yourself, he hasn't really produced. But take a look at a few of the clips I put together on him. Enjoy

http://www.cover1.net/2017/08/jordan-poyers-brand-of-football/

Thanks. He looks like he's got some game.