Looks Like DeShone Kizer is Going to Be the Browns Starter

The question that I would love to know is whether Whaley, if he had the authority, wanted to draft a qb in the first round? The next question I would love to know is whether he had Watson above Mahomes or vice versa. There were reports that he wanted to part ways with Taylor but the new regime was willing to keep him with a lesser contract. Hindsight can be so visionary!

Rumor was Whaley loved Watson. But could have been a smokescreen. Don't remember if anything came out about Whaley/mahomes before the draft.

Btw this thread is worth reading just for the posts from Magical Jeff

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191840-deshaun-watson-a-bargain-in-1st-for-bills-dp/page-5?view_ignored=4233410&do=findComment&comment=4233410

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's ever been a point of envy for me. I just like some of the pieces they've put together. I liked Hue as a hire but it's not worked out. I'd certainly have a different DC.

No secret that I believe Kizer is good in the long run. Love their OL outside of Coleman. RB is a who's who of my draft crushes, Njoku is gonna be really good. WR is the area I struggle with most, just from a depth perspective.

I like/love 5 of their front 7. Secondary is an area they need drastic improvement. I even like their ST unit.

I think coaching is the toughest thing for the Browns to get right because they're like the little fat kid getting picked last in sports. Nobody really wants them and someone has to bite that bullet.

I'm sure this is going to sound like a tired cliche but winning in of itself does breed an attitude of confidence while excessive losing is demoralizing. It can permeate a whole organization creating an the atmosphere poisoned with negativity. As you smartly observed Cleveland does have a lot of very good young talent. Team sports are very much about non-measurables such as attitude, cohesion and confidence. When you do a complete tear-down you are taking a big risk that things are going to fall in place. Most often it doesn't. That's why that the rebuilding process that McDermott and company are doing although not a complete tear-down is a smarter way to go.

Rumor was Whaley loved Watson. But could have been a smokescreen. Don't remember if anything came out about Whaley/mahomes before the draft.

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191840-deshaun-watson-a-bargain-in-1st-for-bills-dp/page-5?view_ignored=4233410&do=findComment&comment=4233410

Jeff the Magic Man was right and (so was Gunner) not with his fanaticism for the Mahome cause but that the draft provided us with an opportunity to draft a legitimate franchise qb prospect in Watson or Mahomes. What's more insidious and destructive than under-analyzing is over-analyzing prospects to the point of paralysis. This franchise has had its opportunities to address the position but as usual froze waiting for next year's opportunities

My belief is that there are few opportunities to get a savior qb prospect but there are enough opportunities to get a good quality franchise qb prospect. Dithering is not a solution; dithering is the problem. When you make perfect be the enemy of doing good you are not acting smartly.

Jeff the Magic Man was right and (so was Gunner) not with his fanaticism for the Mahome cause but that the draft provided us with an opportunity to draft a legitimate franchise qb prospect in Watson or Mahomes. What's more insidious and destructive than under-analyzing is over-analyzing prospects to the point of paralysis. This franchise has had its opportunities to address the position but as usual froze waiting for next year's opportunities

My belief is that there are few opportunities to get a savior qb prospect but there are enough opportunities to get a good quality franchise qb prospect. Dithering is not a solution; dithering is the problem. When you make perfect be the enemy of doing good you are not acting smartly.

i wanted a QB at 10 if they stayed there - I thought mahomes was a reach there but would have taken Watson there. Edited by YoloinOhio

Where are all the people that were so envious of the Browns rebuild?

I never understood it. I thought Peppers and Kizer were an awful pair of first 2 picks. The rest of it was just hopes their draft picks would start working it out but you know what they say about a bird in the hand

i wanted a QB at 10 if they stayed there - I thought mahomes was a reach there but would have taken Watson there.

Yea I confirm Yolo was on board. He actually made a point on this board that I think perfectly sums up what happened with Deshaun Watson. He played 2 years of such good football that evaluators got bored of him. They over analysed and nit picked at his game while falling in love with shiney new toys like Trubisky and Mahomes (both of whom may yet turn out good players in their own right).

And then, in fairness, the mph thing at the combine happened and a lot of people grabbed on to that and turned it into a narrative that he doesn't have an NFL standard arm and maybe some evaluators bought that. Whether Watson ultimately makes it as a Franchise QB or not in this league we can put that silly argument and excel spreadsheet to bed. Deshaun can throw the ball deep plenty well enough - that is already on NFL tape.

I never understood it. I thought Peppers and Kizer were an awful pair of first 2 picks. The rest of it was just hopes their draft picks would start working it out but you know what they say about a bird in the hand

To be fair they were their 2nd and 4th picks.

Garrett @ 1

Peppers @ 25

Njoku @ 29

Kizer @ 52

Edited by GunnerBill

i wanted a QB at 10 if they stayed there - I thought mahomes was a reach there but would have taken Watson there.

Mahomes was going to be a more developmental type qb who needed more preparation. Watson was going to be ready to play sooner than Mahomes. I preferred Mahomes but found Watson to be a worthy prospect. My feeling is that the sooner you get a qb prospect in the better it is because there is a developmental process that needs to be started.

They were actually the Browns' 2nd and 3rd picks. Nevertheless they should have drafted a QB. They instead passed on QB for the 2nd consecutive year in the 1st round.

What a topic. Watson is EJ. Ragland is gonna be a good player with a long career with the Bills. Watson will go in the 4th round.

I love this place.

Edited by jmc12290

They were actually the Browns' 2nd and 3rd picks. Nevertheless they should have drafted a QB. They instead passed on QB for the 2nd consecutive year in the 1st round.

Passing on Wentz and Watson is strike 1, but strike 2 and 3 was taking Kessler and Kizer in round 3 & 2 in the same drafts. That shows a fundamental failure to assess the prospects available.

Honestly I still think Kizer could turn out to be a good QB but he's very young and he's raw. He has no one to learn from in Cleveland without a single vet in the QB room and Hue decided not to even have an OC. I just don't think he was the right QB for the browns because he wasn't going to get the proper development or proper time. He also doesn't have decent weapons.

I just don't think he was the right QB for the browns because he wasn't going to get the proper development or proper time. He also doesn't have decent weapons.

What is the word on Corey Coleman Yolo? He is on IR but is he done for the year or could he be their guy who returns?

I feel for the kid. When he has been out there he has looked good. Their best receiver by far.

Honestly I still think Kizer could turn out to be a good QB but he's very young and he's raw. He has no one to learn from in Cleveland without a single vet in the QB room and Hue decided not to even have an OC. I just don't think he was the right QB for the browns because he wasn't going to get the proper development or proper time. He also doesn't have decent weapons.

I stick by my thoughts on Kizer, he reminds me of Donovan McNabb. The Browns are still a crap team no matter how many picks they have at their disposal in a draft. Hue is really struggling to put something together and I definitely expected more from him.

What is the word on Corey Coleman Yolo? He is on IR but is he done for the year or could he be their guy who returns?

I feel for the kid. When he has been out there he has looked good. Their best receiver by far.

he could return as far as I know. Based on the nature of the injury. He seemed to have some chemistry with Kizer in preseason.

E.J. says hello from Oakland...

E.J. says hello from Oakland...

EJ was a fourth round talent taken in the first round by a stupendously incompetent organization. It was more than a bad job scouting for a qb---- it was a grotesque evaluation of a football player. The person most surprised by his selection in the first round was his HC at Florida State. The organization should be ashamed of itself for this incomprehensible fiasco. Marrone quickly saw what he was handed and immediately revolted. He was right!

This is also my opinion on Kizer......I want to see what he looks like in year 2