So Boldin retired?

Think you are right. I know for a fact they believe in not paying CB's that why they run a cover 3 zone scheme. I am thinking the only positions they may pay for on offense is the QB and lineman. On defense its linebackers and pass rushers and maybe safties. That is it

The Carolina model payed its running back and tight end well too. We already do that in Buffalo. Let's see if they continue with that approach going forward.

EDIT: What is more worrying after the half hour I did this morning researching it is the Carolina approach to offensive line. Pay the center well to anchor fill in with rookie contracts and cast offs around that. I am an old school traditionalist who believes in the value of a top tier left tackle. Hopefully Cordy gets healthy because he is one and we have him tied in for a few years yet.

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boldin the player was done. That was evident last week. I hoped that he had enough to be a big body possession guy and donsome damage in the red zone. He didn't look like he could get open anymore.

With that being said I'm very concerned with what's going on with the Bills. I can be on board with embracing the tank but this partial tank is the worst case scenario IMO. If you want to be bad go ahead. Get your franchise QB and you have to get it right. If you end up picking 8 or 10 that's a nightmare. You either can't move up to get your guy or you blow all of this draft capital needed to replenish a roster devoid of talent.

The Bills window to win is probably 2020 if they hit on the QB. The problem is that their best players will be long gone by then. That's why the trades made no sense to me. By the time the Bills are ready to win Watkins and Darby would have been in their primes. Shady, Incognito, Kyle, Hughes, and Wood will be done or pretty much done. The only young players that will be a factor by the time the Bills are ready to win are White, Zay, Shaq and Hyde. Dareus and Glenn still may be effective but there is a lot of roster that needs to be filled out over the next few years.

With that being said I'm very concerned with what's going on with the Bills. I can be on board with embracing the tank but this partial tank is the worst case scenario IMO. If you want to be bad go ahead. Get your franchise QB and you have to get it right. If you end up picking 8 or 10 that's a nightmare. You either can't move up to get your guy or you blow all of this draft capital needed to replenish a roster devoid of talent.

That is the worry isn't it? I don't think they are trying to tank. I think they are trying to be competitive. But trying to be competitive with this roster against this schedule of Quarterback talent to face........ I mean I thought earlier in the off-season that 6 wins was the absolute floor..... is that still the case? I don't know... if it is then that's an issue. If the floor is now actually 3 or 4 wins then that might leave them where they need to be to get a Quarterback.

That is the worry isn't it? I don't think they are trying to tank. I think they are trying to be competitive. But trying to be competitive with this roster against this schedule of Quarterback talent to face........ I mean I thought earlier in the off-season that 6 wins was the absolute floor..... is that still the case? I don't know... if it is then that's an issue. If the floor is now actually 3 or 4 wins then that might leave them where they need to be to get a Quarterback.

On the bright side, 4 of the QBs you are likely fearing are QBs that our HC is very familiar with. Maybe he doesn't see the NFC South as that daunting since it is what he's used to?

Boldin the player was done. That was evident last week. I hoped that he had enough to be a big body possession guy and donsome damage in the red zone. He didn't look like he could get open anymore.

The Bills window to win is probably 2020 if they hit on the QB. The problem is that their best players will be long gone by then. That's why the trades made no sense to me. By the time the Bills are ready to win Watkins and Darby would have been in their primes. Shady, Incognito, Kyle, Hughes, and Wood will be done or pretty much done. The only young players that will be a factor by the time the Bills are ready to win are White, Zay, Shaq and Hyde. Dareus and Glenn still may be effective but there is a lot of roster that needs to be filled out over the next few years.

We all know it's not easy to comeback from 2-14 seasons. You are correct...if the QB is taken next year we're still 2-3 season away from being a good team and a lot has to go right for this to happen. We are gonna suck for a few years now. I'm usually optimistic at this time of year but no longer

Yup. Well said.

On the bright side, 4 of the QBs you are likely fearing are QBs that our HC is very familiar with. Maybe he doesn't see the NFC South as that daunting since it is what he's used to?

Yea I have said before there is a benefit in that. Remember that Schwartz D was 4-0 against the NFC North? I don't expect that but it would be nice.

We all know it's not easy to comeback from 2-14 seasons. You are correct...if the QB is taken next year we're still 2-3 season away from being a good team and a lot has to go right for this to happen. We are gonna suck for a few years now. I'm usually optimistic at this time of year but no longer

The positive if they are bad enough to get their QB without moving up is that they still have 5 other picks in the first 100. That gives them a head start on the rebuild. They can go and find another lineman or two, another pass rusher and maybe a McDermott style MLB. I know that is a thin silver lining but it's all I got.

Edited by GunnerBill

Here's the thing: my theory is that Pegula signed off on the trades only after securing promises from McBean that they'd be competitive this year, regardless. I'm almost certain of it, and that's why Beane reacted so strongly to questions about "tanking." But we know that that promise, assuming it was made, was ludicrous: the Bills most certainly are not going to be competitive this year. Which will make for an interesting situation between Beane and Pegula, if I'm right.

Put it this way - which is scarier, that they're secretly tanking? Or that they actually believe they'll be competitive this year? The second one, obviously...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Here's the thing: my theory is that Pegula signed off on the trades after securing promises from McBean that they'd be competitive this year, regardless. I'm almost certain of it, and that's why Beane reacted so strongly to questions about "tanking." But we know that that promise, assuming it was made, was ludicrous: the Bills most certainly are not going to be competitive this year. Which will make for an interesting situation between Beane and Pegula, if I'm right.

I think you are right. I don't think McDermott and Beane expect this team to suck. I think they might have sold it to Pegs as "look we won't make the playoffs this year but we are gonna be right there around .500 playing hard with this young group and then next year we will get out QB and then watch out...."

Too bad he's retiring but he's an honorable guy who has been a credit to the league and who has done a ton of humanitarian work over the years, so I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

In terms of the impact on the team, I think if he had played the way he did last year he obviously would have been a positive for the team. But without him, are we really any worse than what we were last season? Probably not, given that Sammy was out most of last year and he won't be there this year. Jones and Matthews will be positives, and they need Holmes or another guy (maybe after cuts are done around the league??) to step up as the third guy. Recall that even with a poor WR corps last year it was a top ten offense.

The two things that will really define how well the offense does this year is the status of Cordy Glenn, and whether the team adapts to Dennison's new offense. Is Dennison going to move TT around on rollouts, etc. to free him up or insist on making him a drop back pocket guy. If the latter, that to me would be a mistake, and if that happens you might actually see Peterman sooner than later. The defense certainly seems better, and since it was the failure of the D many times last year that cost games that alone should make the team more successful this year.

So sorry, but I don't see issues with one WR position being so horrific that it means the team is tanking, and that disaster is about to occur, and so on. Other issues will have a bigger impact this year.

He was here to win a championship, but realized Beane and McDermott really aren't trying to win in '17 after they traded Sammy.

You see, I completely disagree CB. I think that he was here to earn just a few more millions and ride off into the sunset. Older players don't come to Buffalo to win championships these days. How could they when they look up and see NE? And I don't think it matters at all. Odds tell us that he would have caught a couple of short passes, got hurt, and collected his checks.

In 2018, the Bills will have their biggest opportunity since 2006 to improve this team. I suppose the total collapse we are now watching really is just a necessary evil.

The positive if they are bad enough to get their QB without moving up is that they still have 5 other picks in the first 100. That gives them a head start on the rebuild. They can go and find another lineman or two, another pass rusher and maybe a McDermott style MLB. I know that is a thin silver lining but it's all I got.

You're correct but it will take time and a lot of luck...can't have all 1st and 2nd year players on your roster