Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

KC fans dont remember that they were 2-14 prior to Alex Smith and andy reid getting there. They seem to believe that going 11-5 or 12-4 three out of 4 seasons is somehow the norm in the NFL. KC fans are about as jaded as they come. KC is basically a lock to go 10-6 this season with Alex Smith. With Mahomes they could just as easily go 6-10.

So yes. Please start Mahomes. It will help us.

6-10 with Mahomes starting is incredibly optimistic. As it stands with Alex Smith, making the playoffs in that division will be a tall order.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-10 with Mahomes starting is incredibly optimistic. As it stands with Alex Smith, making the playoffs in that division will be a tall order.

They are going to crash back down to earth. That division is brutal and they've had some injuries already.

How awesome would it be if their 1st was a better pick than our own?

Reminds of JP for sure. cocky, big arm, mobile, crap mechanics and questionable pocket awareness. However, he's got Andy Reid and Alex Smith to learn from. We'll see if the Chiefs can develop him better than the Bills could JP

He's much better than JP. No doubt about it.

Shots not taken = 100% misses

THAT is the story of the Bills QB woes.

I like 3D White but history.......only 3 #1 picks still on the roster since they passed on Drew Brees......says they wouldn't have regretted taking a shot at Mahomes.

They passed on him and traded that pick to KC.........if he turns into a star, that's on them forever.

But if NEXT YEAR McDermott and Beane become the first Bills regime to ever be all-in on drafting a rookie QB as soon as they possibly could on draft day.....not trading back or hoping Russ Wilson slides to round 4 so they can take TJ Graham....at least someone will have given an honest effort instead of the usual shortcut.

On some issues you and I are like two ships passing in the night going in opposite directions. On the qb issue we are in accord. I really believe that Mahomes would have been a worthy pick at our drafting position. The irony is that Whaley wanted to select him at the ten spot but he had no authority to make a selection because he was neutered by the owner. Moral of the story is when you dither you emasculate yourself.

In my view Mahomes is a dynamic passer but a very raw qb who needed time to polish his game. But with someone who has a good work ethic and is very coachable I would have no qualms in investing in him. That opportunity is gone so it is pointless to lament.

I do believe (hope) that McDermott/Beane will do what should have been done a long time ago and draft a high end prospect with their first round pick, and use more picks if need be to get the prospect that they most prefer. If this regime takes the same passive approach the qb position as its losing predecessors then I will fall by the wayside and move on.

But if NEXT YEAR McDermott and Beane become the first Bills regime to ever be all-in on drafting a rookie QB as soon as they possibly could on draft day.....not trading back or hoping Russ Wilson slides to round 4 so they can take TJ Graham....at least someone will have given an honest effort instead of the usual shortcut.

That would be borderline criminal if they don't use their new draft capital to take a QB very early

I just want them to take the right QB.

If they are going top 10 for one he should be a day one starter.

Hard to get Day One starter unless you're picking Top 3. Mahomes is the litmus test. They need to get at least that caliber player

Here is the thing about us in KC. Since 1989, when Marty Schottenhiemer arrived, the team has had the philosophy building as good a roster as possible and put a QB in place whose job it is not to mess things up and "manage" the game. Win the turnover and field position battle and wait for the other team to make mistakes. This has proven to be a GREAT formula for regular season success. Seriously, we went 13-3 with STEVE BONO as our QB. Hell, almost everyone we have had here for the better parts of the last 30 years have been "winners". Guys whose QBR, etc wouldn't lead you to believe they should be. The problem with this is that when you go to the playoffs, and you are playing teams who HAVE good/great QB's and your whole philosophy is to wait for them to make a mistake...you don't win in the playoffs. The list of QB's Kansas City has lost to in playoff games could fill a whole wing of the Hall of Fame. Marino, Manning, Big Ben, Brady, Elway, JIM KELLY, Since 93 when we lost to the Bills, the ONLY playoff win the Chiefs have had, came against.........Brian Hoyer. You may look at us whiners in KC and laugh at us because from the outside you see us here going 11-5 or so most years with Alex Smith and it would seem we are taking it for granted. We aren't. We've seen this movie before when it starred Steve DeBerg and Steve Bono, and Elvis Grbac and Matt Cassel etc etc etc.

With the collective bargaining agreement being what it is now, it does not cost you 5 years and millions of dollars if you miss on a guy. With the rules now so heavily favoring the passing game, it would be absolutely optimal draft strategy to draft a QB in round 1 every year until you found 1 that was "the man". The league is such that you aren't a real contender unless you have a bonifide QB....OR you have a generationally good defense. Not a top 2-5 defense..but a no.1 that is the best of it's era.

With the collective bargaining agreement being what it is now, it does not cost you 5 years and millions of dollars if you miss on a guy. With the rules now so heavily favoring the passing game, it would be absolutely optimal draft strategy to draft a QB in round 1 every year until you found 1 that was "the man".

Have you met BADOL? You and he could be friends.

I don't go for the draft 1 in the first every year strategy but when guys you think have a chance drop to you - whether that is Pat Mahomes or Deshaun Watson or maybe in 2014 Carr or Bridgewater (there was nobody even worth considering at our 1st pick in '15 or '16) you should take them, not punt the decision into next year. The Chiefs, like the Bills, have punted on those decisions too often. I can see why Chiefs fans are fired up that they didn't this time even if I still have some concerns with Mahomes' game. Hell I had a high 3rd on him as an evaluation and got to the point where even with that I'd have been fine with the Bills taking him at 10.

Edited by GunnerBill

The problem with drafting a QB high every year until you find one is you can play them all to find out, you can't even give them enough reps in practice. The only way it works is I find you totally strike lightning like Russell Wilson who wows you right from the start and then is very good if not great right off the bat. And the Seahags didn't need to take one every year they just had to take the right one.

The problem with drafting a QB high every year until you find one is you can play them all to find out, you can't even give them enough reps in practice. The only way it works is I find you totally strike lightning like Russell Wilson who wows you right from the start and then is very good if not great right off the bat. And the Seahags didn't need to take one every year they just had to take the right one.

Exactly.

Most of the good ones do find a way to wow you right from the start.......Wilson, Prescott, Flacco.......these guys were all passed on by the Bills..........and do you really think that Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have flashed as a rookie in Buffalo?

Here's the thing.......if you don't have a QB you don't win consistently.........if you don't win consistently you change coaching staffs on the regular.........nothing wastes prior draft picks faster than changing coaching staffs.

Hence.......the Bills only having 3 of their own first round picks on the roster.........and one of them only because they CAN'T cut him. :lol:

So the question is........what is the actually COST of taking shots every year at the QB position?

As for the reps........that's a first world problem that you find a solution for.........not a justification for not taking shots at the only position that REALLY matters in the big picture.

Exactly.

Most of the good ones do find a way to wow you right from the start.......Wilson, Prescott, Flacco.......these guys were all passed on by the Bills..........and do you really think that Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have flashed as a rookie in Buffalo?

Here's the thing.......if you don't have a QB you don't win consistently.........if you don't win consistently you change coaching staffs on the regular.........nothing wastes prior draft picks faster than changing coaching staffs.

Hence.......the Bills only having 3 of their own first round picks on the roster.........and one of them only because they CAN'T cut him. :lol:

So the question is........what is the actually COST of taking shots every year at the QB position?

As for the reps........that's a first world problem that you find a solution for.........not a justification for not taking shots at the only position that REALLY matters in the big picture.

Aaron Rodgers very likely would have sucked if he played as a rookie with the Bills. Got his head bashed in and terrible coaching. It's arguable as to whether he would have recovered. If I HAD to guess he would have sucked or been mediocre for three seasons, then we got rid of him and then after his fourth or fifth season his immense talent finally took hold. Somewhat like Steve Young.

Aaron Rodgers very likely would have sucked if he played as a rookie with the Bills. Got his head bashed in and terrible coaching. It's arguable as to whether he would have recovered. If I HAD to guess he would have sucked or been mediocre for three seasons, then we got rid of him and then after his fourth or fifth season his immense talent finally took hold. Somewhat like Steve Young.

I think you are going back MUCH too far with the Steve Young reference.

Ever Big Ben went undefeated in his rookie year(before playoffs).......most of the elite QB's were pretty good very early in their career.

If you had the luxury of waiting on a Rodgers or Rivers you could benefit from it but brutal rookie years are no longer a given for QB's.

Imagine rookie Cam Newton in 1999........I doubt he opens up his career with a 400 yard passing game.

I suspect Aaron Rodgers would have been fine in Buffalo..........if he weren't concussed to death........but that almost happened in Green Bay too until Goodell stepped in and stopped all the contact with QB's and WR's over the middle.