Should the NFL do away with the national anthem?

Beast

I am a big supporter of cops, in general, but I don't like the culture that a "good cop" won't "rat out" a "bad cop". It hurts all of them. I don't envy the positions cops are put in every day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1173602/GRAPHIC-Charleston-cop-fatally-shoots-man-runs-away.html

There's one. Got any others to support the statement that you made that there is a problem with cops shooting black men for no reason?

Oh, btw, Slager was arrested and charged. Not sure if you caught that part of the story.

"Supporter of cops". Nice.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think that they should stop playing the national anthem during football games. There is absolutely no reason to.

But I also don't think we should make a big deal about someone who decides they want to sit or kneel during it.

People who get so angered and offended over someone sitting/kneeling during the anthem don't seem to take into account that the 1st amendment to the constitution gives us that freedom to free speech and peaceful protest.

Why is it more patriotic to honor the national anthem, which is a song and doesn't entitle us to any of our great freedoms that we are promised in the USA, than the constitution that this country was founded on? The document that actually guarantees us many of those freedoms that we all love so much.

Our country was somewhat built on protest. We might not be the United States of America if not for the protest of taxation without representation by our founding fathers.

To be clear, I don't sit during the anthem myself. I stand and honor this country and the men/women who fight for it. But I also 100% support the rights of people to choose to sit/kneel. It's really not that big of a deal to me. Certainly nothing to get so bent out of shape to send a guy death threats over.

There's one. Got any others to support the statement that you made that there is a problem with cops shooting black men for no reason?

Oh, btw, Slager was arrested and charged. Not sure if you caught that part of the story.

Surprisingly, a policeman who shoots an innocent will usually not make a video of it.

Blacks have maintained for years that these sorts of things have gone on forever. I used to not believe the allegations. Now, it's hard for me to believe that this hasn't happened on many other occasions.

It doesn't always have to be about shootings, although the Amadou Diallo case is another example of just that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Amadou_Diallo

Then there's the case of Abner Louima, who I actually became friends with after his incident. http://nypost.com/2007/07/30/louimas-haunted-high-life-10-years-later/

Then there's this case: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28112637/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/nyc-police-officers-charged-sodomy-attack/#.WZjAQVGGOM8

The point is that it's only logical that we only hear about a small percentage of the abuses.

As I said earlier, I don't envy cops, but to not understand how blacks might have a problem with them is silly, to me.

Would Slager have been charged if a bystander hadn't produced the video? Slager originally denied it happened as it did.

Edited by Kemp

Who is talking about punishing / prosecuting them? They have a right to express their views, I have a right to express my view that they are overpaid, coddled babies who only have the "platform" that they have because they can play a game well - not because of anything that they have actually sacrificed for the betterment of society.

Everyone's life takes a different path and everyone contributes to society in their own way. These guys were born with physical gifts and they are using them in such a way that society does benefit. America LOVES sports. And they are sacrificing their bodies in a very real way in the NFL. Now, it is entertainment and I'm not trying to compare what they do to any other profession, but if society didn't value what they do, they wouldn't be paid what they are.

And, a lot of these athletes, including those protesting, donate a lot of time and money to charity, which should not be discounted.

104 documented cases in 2015.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

Response: "fake news" / "liberal media propaganda".

So just to be clear, you're in favor of discrimination of labor against people exercising their 1st Amendment privileges, have somehow conflated the national anthem and the support of our military, and suggest that a reasonable person would condone violence against a person of color if deemed necessary. Congrats.

Are you REALLY standing up for first amendment rights? Lol

I do not think that they should stop playing the national anthem during football games. There is absolutely no reason to.

But I also don't think we should make a big deal about someone who decides they want to sit or kneel during it.

People who get so angered and offended over someone sitting/kneeling during the anthem don't seem to take into account that the 1st amendment to the constitution gives us that freedom to free speech and peaceful protest.

Why is it more patriotic to honor the national anthem, which is a song and doesn't entitle us to any of our great freedoms that we are promised in the USA, than the constitution that this country was founded on? The document that actually guarantees us many of those freedoms that we all love so much.

Our country was somewhat built on protest. We might not be the United States of America if not for the protest of taxation without representation by our founding fathers.

To be clear, I don't sit during the anthem myself. I stand and honor this country and the men/women who fight for it. But I also 100% support the rights of people to choose to sit/kneel. It's really not that big of a deal to me. Certainly nothing to get so bent out of shape to send a guy death threats over.

All protests or minority protests only?

Oh lord.

Yeah, I know seems pretty clear to me. Unfortunately, people like you lap up any old narrative without the benefit of context.

If someone attacks me and tries to take my gun, are they armed or unarmed? Am I justified in shooting them? Just curious.

Bit of a difference. He's an employee expressing his constitutionally protected view, not claiming the to represent the views of the NFL. If you did the same as an employee, you'd have recourse if it resulted in your termination.

People frequently do less than that, that results in their termination. Just this past week several people lost jobs for expressing constitutionally protected views on their own time outside of the workplace. And they have very little recourse, as they're not considered a protected class by the EEOC, and they for the most part worked in at-will states.

A song or a flag doesn't define us, we do. You react to those symbols the way you choose. Isn't that the point of the grand experiment? Whether some stands kneels or lays down is not important, it is minutiae. It's like having an argument about the Civil War. Everything other than the fact that it was a war about whether people should be allowed to own other people is minutiae.

Absolutely NO ONE would give a rat's ass about how a football player reacts to the National Anthem if the sports writers didn't ensure it was a story, and talk about it over and over and over.

Don't believe me? Try this simple test: force all sportswriters to stop writing about, reporting on or discussing the NFL. Just gives us game highlights, replay, score and stats.

Let's see who is still angry at the end of the season.

anyhow.

what's so patriotic about a game?

I say do away with it and save it for maybe the superbowl and just play it at parades, memorial/veterans day?

plus the all the feuding about standing/kneeling would go with it.

it's a game, no reason to play it.

And what is political about the National Anthem anyhow? I'm pretty sure people on both sides of the aisle consider themselves American citizens.

And, African Americans being butchered by cops, they are Americans too.

I guess I don't see the connection between the Black Lives Matter movement and honoring our country.

Should we also remove flags from schools too?