KingRex

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More brilliant analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5X-3KvmGGM

Didn't Greg Jennings say he wouldn't have done the trade? Not because of the talent level, but, for the Rams because the injury history along with not having a quarterback that can get him the ball, and it's his walk year.

Edited by Captain Murica

Drafting Watkins wasn't building through the draft?

And if they don't spend the money on Watkins (or Taylor, who we'll cut when we draft our Azor Ahai QB next draft), who are they going to spend it on? Free Agents? Is that option C?

Dumping elite talent for no good reason isn't the way to build a winner in the NFL.

They are going to spend it on the franchise QB they are going to get using the draft picks they traded for.

In today's Pardon the Interruption Sow (PTI is an ESPN hot stove argument show which I probably like cause Wilbon and I went to the Jesuit H.S) on of the discussion pieces was a rare dip into the Buffalo pro sports team pool.

They discussed in this short segment whether trading Watkins made sense.

They concluded no because:

A: Its a win now league and Sammy recovered from injury is gonna be more productive than his replacement. They heralded Watkins achievements during his brief healthy time and theorized that even the threat he poses likely makes the O and his fellow WRs more productive players.

B. The key to the Bills being better is trusting the process and given that over the last decade and a half plus shows that the ownership has been insufficient to run a process which can win.

Unfortunately, I think they might be right. Stocking up draft choices might be fun for us armchair GMs, but there is no evidence to indicate the process will work. Sadly.

The fact that they don't like it makes it an even better trade.

We keep Watkins.." why would you pay that much to Watkins!? Injury prone and no good QB to get him the ball!!"

We trade Watkins..." bad move! He's productive when he's healthy and keep defenses on their heels which helps other offensive playmakers out!! Armchair GM's don't win in this league and draft picks don't always pan out! Disaster!"

Dang if you do dang if you don't. Sad!

Wrong again. Your on a hot streak there Beane.

That's your opinion Scott.

We will have to let this thing play out.

Sammy wasn't resigning here. Give me the ammo to go potentially end this nightmare. Sammy wasn't winning this team a SuperBowl...a franchise QB can!

Just about 90% of non Buffalo Bills fans think the we made a horrible move for what we gave up to acquire Watkins. I have tried to think through this trade on every angle and cannot come up with one way to support it at all since it was made last week.

It was a flat out bad/stupid trade. Right up there with the Eagles giving us McCoy for Kiko. Watkins for Gaines WTF? Even the Pats gave up a first for Cooks... SMH

Well Cooks is better than Sammy so, yeah, makes sense why a team would give up the 32nd pick for him.

If the Rams bottom out and have the worst record in the league. That second round pick will be... you guessed it 33rd overall.

Let not make it sound like the Pats gave up a top pick here.

As has been said by me and others, if it is the Patriots it is a great move. If it is the Bills it is a bad move.

It's easier to back the decision of a team that wins oppose to a team who continuously loses.

I mean, in the real world would you listen to a financial adviser who consistently makes his clients money or a guy who had had a track record of 17 years in the red?

There are so many of these sports shows now that they are running out of food.

They'll be eating their own leg pretty soon.

Overexposure makes the product bleh and it has happened in nearly all media/entertainment, including football.

About the best you could expect for a wr with a vast injury history on the last year of a contract. A high 2nd rd pick and a starting caliber cb. Matthews helps mitigate the loss in the short term. His game matches the scheme.

There could be tons of reasons to move him... injury risk, expiring contract and reluctance to use franchise tag, wants too much money, doesn't want to play here, selfish and doesn't care about winning, diva attitude, not a hard worker, clashes with fans, clashes with media, drama etc... I've never met the guy sooooo it's hard to say what impression he left on beanie and McDermott.

That's what makes this trade so confusing. At face value, it was an awful decision. But if any or all of those variables you propose are true, it would be great to know. Without that data, this is a terrible decision because most of those variables would have been answered this season, Risk Free! Ride it out on a guy we know is really good.

Edited by leonbus23

I seriously doubt either one could name five guys on the team without a lot of head scratching and wrong guesses. They're covering all sports, so their knowledge and analysis is a mile wide and an inch deep. Ask them when Sammy's first injury as a pro was or how many games he averages per season. Without even debating the trade in this post, these guys' opinions are less informed than most of the posters here.

No...they cover the NBA, college basketball, SEC football, more NBA, the Dallas Cowboys, the New England Patriots, even more NBA, and the Boston Red Sox. While these guys *claim* to cover everything, they probably haven't paid attention to the Bills since the Music City Miracle. I used to watch that show a lot, but when their ticker once included 8 straight NBA-related topics, I started to stay away from it.

I didn't see it yesterday, but if they just focused on how the Bills traded away two high draft picks for almost nothing, then they didn't evaluate the trade. The Bills got draft picks back. They got some value for a good WR that has been injured a lot, when we knew they weren't going to extend his contract and will be free agent. They got back a CB who is good in a zone-style scheme (like McDermott's) and traded a man-to-man CB who hadn't yet bought into the defensive scheme. They got a WR who - while hasn't yet shown his potential - can be really good. Did I mention they got a draft pick or two?

They have six draft picks in the first three rounds next year. SIX.

Try and tell me they don't have leverage to do whatever the hell they want, despite how they perform on the field this year.