Does anyone believe GM Beane about preseason game?

I thought this concept deserves its own thread. Perhaps MODS don't. You decide.

Brandon Beane, who for the most part I very much like, even though I hated the trades, said on WGR I believe that he never discussed the trade possibilities with Opie until AFTER the game against the Vikings. He never brought it up.

That means they weren't auditioning Sammy for the Rams or the other three teams that expressed interest by the first four plays all going to Watkins.

Frankly, I find that very hard to believe on both counts. That he hadn't discussed the trade with McDermott, and that it was just coincidence that four plays in a row out of a possible four went to SW.

Now granted, everyone knows that what GMs say to the press and public have to be taken with grain of salt. But he didn't at all have to say it this way, and went out of his way, AFTER the trade, to say that Opie knew nothing about it, and it wasn't an audition. And Sammy even says he thinks it was.

That really makes me, personally, not believe Beane for the first time, early in his tenure. And it will take some time to make me believe he is being forthright with the press and the fans. Not a good way to start, and it seems like it was an unforced error.

So, do you believe Beane that he never discussed the trade before the Vikes game AND the four straight passes to Sammy were just coincidence? Or that Beane lied about it? And can you think of a good reason why he would lie about this particular thing.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Mccoach was given a heads up by Beane about a possible trade involving SW and RD prior to thursdays game but nothing was close to being finalized. The trade may have just kind of happened quick like and he just decided to wait until after the game to tell Mccoach.

He said that they'd received offers for months, so I would imagine that McD knew about that at least. The play selection suggests that they were either showcasing him or evaluating him - probably some of both.

So, do you believe Beane that he never discussed the trade before the Vikes game AND the four straight passes to Sammy were just coincidence? Or that Beane lied about it? And can you think of a good reason why he would lie about this particular thing.

No way McDermott didn't at least have an idea that Sammy was going to be traded. It started with the decision to not pick up 5th year option

The matter must have been discussed back during the discussion/decision about picking up the option or not - as Nucci pointed out.

I don't think it necessarily means they discussed the specifics just prior to the game.

I thought this concept deserves its own thread. Perhaps MODS don't. You decide.

Brandon Beane, who for the most part I very much like, even though I hated the trades, said on WGR I believe that he never discussed the trade possibilities with Opie until AFTER the game against the Vikings. He never brought it up.

That means they weren't auditioning Sammy for the Rams or the other three teams that expressed interest by the first four plays all going to Watkins.

Frankly, I find that very hard to believe on both counts. That he hadn't discussed the trade with McDermott, and that it was just coincidence that four plays in a row out of a possible four went to SW.

Now granted, everyone knows that what GMs say to the press and public have to be taken with grain of salt. But he didn't at all have to say it this way, and went out of his way, AFTER the trade, to say that Opie knew nothing about it, and it wasn't an audition. And Sammy even says he thinks it was.

That really makes me, personally, not believe Beane for the first time, early in his tenure. And it will take some time to make me believe he is being forthright with the press and the fans. Not a good way to start, and it seems like it was an unforced error.

Sammy mentioned on Saturday during his NFLN interview that in hindsight the Bills might have been auditioning him.

He said that they'd received offers for months, so I would imagine that McD knew about that at least. The play selection suggests that they were either showcasing him or evaluating him - probably some of both.

This is what I am thinking also.

I believe Mccoach was given a heads up by Beane about a possible trade involving SW and RD prior to thursdays game but nothing was close to being finalized. The trade may have just kind of happened quick like and he just decided to wait until after the game to tell Mccoach.

I believe that McD knows every single thing that Beane dies within 8 seconds of him doing it and vice versa. They knew a trade was possible before the game. They knew teams might be concerned with Sammy's health. They knew TT and Sammy would not play long. You do the math.

This is what I am thinking also.

They can evaluate someone all week long in practice. They can showcase in a game.

I thought he said that they had discussed generally the idea of the trade before the game, but didn't discuss until after the game the specific trade in question.

I could be wrong but I thought he may have been aware that there were four teams that had called and asked about Watkins, and that McD knew about that. But he didn't know about LA's recent offer or that any trade was imminent and that Sammy's action in the game had zero to do with any trade offer, meaning McD didn't know of the LA offer so there was no showcasing whatsoever.

The old man? Please just respond to the post. You believe it was just coincidence and that McD had no idea Beane was about to trade the HC's star player?

I believe the offense is structured now in the West Coast mold and that is the reason I didn't like the trade. Because Sammy would thrive in that. No I do not think it was scripted to show his trade value; I think he was open and TT threw him the ball.

And no I do not think Beane kept it from McD. In fact Beane said he, the coach, and the owner all discussed it before the trade was made.

The conspiracy stuff is silly in my opinion.