Jerry Hughes

YoloinOhio

...I probably should go back and review the actual history before going from memory......but I think the Lou Saban exodus really soured RW and he tried to coast through the 70's and 80's as the "absentee owner from Detroit" which drew mucho ire...sat back and watched his 25K investment grow instead and got the "cheapskate moniker"....he evolved in the 90's, spent $$$ which yielded four consecutive SB trips.....sure, all for naught....but I think he began to enjoy ownership more and saw the club as more than an investment...just a thought..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good to see you and others acknowledge that BADOL really does know what he is talking about. I don't always agree with him.....in fact I was furious when Whaley gave away the store for Sammy. Still, he doesn't just say s@#t. His posts are all intelligent and well thought.

A word of advice for you, a new poster.....why don't you jot down each instance in which you disagree with Badol. Then, get back to that list later on and see who was correct.

You would be much more informed if you engaged him in constructive dialogue. Up to you Bro.

Very well said. Absolutely no one on this board can come close to Badol when it comes to football knowlege combined with accurate takes... unlike some prolific wanna-be experts whose takes sound good but are almost always WRONG (and you know who are :D ).

Badol's got me almost missing Sammy today. :thumbsup:

Then by your standard nobody outside Belichick was worthy of a hire, because everyone else is a nobody or an over-hyped retread.

You're grasping at straws Gerry.......there are usually a few elite HC prospects or veterans who bring a certain element of credibility to the table immediately. McDermott/Spagnolo/Marinelli types do not.

I'd have liked all of these Bills coaches to be successful........but mainly because of the poor quality of ownership......these guys join the rudderless Bills and almost immediately, inexplicably micro-manage and go off course.

See Dick Jauron........he joins the team......rights a messy ship on the field........but then, with league observers predicting big things for his Bills in the coming year.......he let's London Fletcher and Nate Clements(the two key turnover producing elements of his opportunistic defense) walk in free agency and trades FA-to-be Willis McGahee for scraps due to sign-ability. The three go on to stellar seasons with their new teams....... and the once ascending Bills get stuck in the mire as they use all of their draft capital for the next two seasons on replacements for prime-level veterans inexplicably set free.

A Rooney or Mara would never allow the haphazard roster nonsense from a newbie coach/GM.........but with utterly clueless people in the owners box there is no voice of reason to let new people know when the haircut becomes a scalping.

It is good to see you and others acknowledge that BADOL really does know what he is talking about. I don't always agree with him.....in fact I was furious when Whaley gave away the store for Sammy. Still, he doesn't just say s@#t. His posts are all intelligent and well thought.

A word of advice for you, a new poster.....why don't you jot down each instance in which you disagree with Badol. Then, get back to that list later on and see who was correct.

You would be much more informed if you engaged him in constructive dialogue. Up to you Bro.

......and I sincerely apologize for failing to recognize the omnipotent pedestal he resides on.....new poster?.....um ok.....I'm in year 55 of following my boyz so yes I'm new......at the same time, I'll log BOTH of you into my ARCHIVES, probably in the PEDESTAL folder....thanks bro....

Rarely does Badol want to engage in constructive dialogue.

He may know football, but interpersonal communication is far more important, and on this site he's woefully ignorant in that regard.

The first communication we had was you taking a personal shot at me for one of my takes.

People don't like getting fired back upon but, as was the case with you, they often forget that they fired first or think they should be given a pass to do so for some reason.

I'm not a member of the media, I'm not selling you anything so you are not a customer and therefore I reserve the right to tell you where to stick it if you are being a douche to me.

But not once in the 20 years that I have been here have I initiated negativity with someone who hadn't tried to get personal with me first.

I can appreciate all positive or negative takes.........this is a message board and everyone should be able to express pro or con takes regarding the team/organization.

You're grasping at straws Gerry.......there are usually a few elite HC prospects or veterans who bring a certain element of credibility to the table immediately. McDermott/Spagnolo/Marinelli types do not.

I'd have liked all of these Bills coaches to be successful........but mainly because of the poor quality of ownership......these guys join the rudderless Bills and almost immediately, inexplicably micro-manage and go off course.

See Dick Jauron........he joins the team......rights a messy ship on the field........but then, with league observers predicting big things for his Bills in the coming year.......he let's London Fletcher and Nate Clements(the two key turnover producing elements of his opportunistic defense) walk in free agency and trades FA-to-be Willis McGahee for scraps due to sign-ability. The three go on to stellar seasons with their new teams....... and the once ascending Bills get stuck in the mire as they use all of their draft capital for the next two seasons on replacements for prime-level veterans inexplicably set free.

A Rooney or Mara would never allow the haphazard roster nonsense from a newbie coach/GM.........but with utterly clueless people in the owners box there is no voice of reason to let new people know when the haircut becomes a scalping.

The beauty about your posts is that you always manage to take both side of an issue without missing a beat.

Did you really think Jauron advised the exits of Fletcher and Clements? Or from another post, do you think Donahoe willingly dumped Fat Pat, as opposed given a choice between Pat and Schobel?

As for comparisons to Giants and Steelers, please explain how Tomlin and Macadoo were given free reign to dump players, but somehow McD is held to a different standard by you?

McD has the same pedigree that the guys above had, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves to be incompetent.

The first communication we had was you taking a personal shot at me for one of my takes.

People don't like getting fired back upon but, as was the case with you, they often forget that they fired first or think they should be given a pass to do so for some reason.

I'm not a member of the media, I'm not selling you anything so you are not a customer and therefore I reserve the right to tell you where to stick it if you are being a douche to me.

But not once in the 20 years that I have been here have I initiated negativity with someone who hadn't tried to get personal with me first.

I can appreciate all positive or negative takes.........this is a message board and everyone should be able to express pro or con takes regarding the team/organization.

You do it all the time.

People try to have discussions with you and you immediately resort to things like calling them delusional, or lumping them in to a certain type of fan category and then disparaging the entire category of fan.

You are the one that doesn't like being called out on your bull ****, and are quick to play the victim anytime someone challenges you. But you have no problem disparaging entire groups of fans that don't subscribe to your opinions on your self proclaimed facts and takes on all situations regardless of proof.

You are a thin skinned narcissist that doesn't know how to have a conversation where both sides are allowed to disagree. You try to command some kind of authority on a topic and will continually shift the discussion to the absurd to to to claim some type of internet victory.

The beauty about your posts is that you always manage to take both side of an issue without missing a beat.

Did you really think Jauron advised the exits of Fletcher and Clements? Or from another post, do you think Donahoe willingly dumped Fat Pat, as opposed given a choice between Pat and Schobel?

As for comparisons to Giants and Steelers, please explain how Tomlin and Macadoo were given free reign to dump players, but somehow McD is held to a different standard by you?

McD has the same pedigree that the guys above had, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves to be incompetent.

In a discussion in 2017 on Hughes, were talking about jauron and mcgahee due to his desire to continually shift the goalposts to a location he can possibly defend.

He wants to criticize the current regime, and does so by... jauron. Amazing

Yes, I think Jauron wanted to draft his guys and didn't want to deal with free agents in waiting. Jauron and Levy were in lock-step.

What key players did Tomlin and Macadoo dump? Watkins was the Bills most prized asset......period. That doesn't mean trade him, it means KEEP him.

beane_brandon_main.jpgPol_Pot_.png

Why do you have a picture of Coach Tuesday? Looking to replace our coach with him?

I suspect the coaching staff is trying to get a handle on Hughes situation with with bad PF penalties before the actual games start. Something Rex was unable to accomplish. I would think most of us ageee that should be a priority, no?

Not sure what it has to do with Jauron or Chris Kelsay. I don't really remember Jauron getting into it with players.

One of few sensible responses in thread.

He has elite quick twitch movement and is an excellent "bender." Before he got hurt last season (arm), he was on fire - the best player on the defense for the first 4-5 games. He is a headcase, but for teams on the cusp like Dallas, he'd be a very valuable piece.

Dallas hates head cases right? It is why they got rid of one.

Yes, I think Jauron wanted to draft his guys and didn't want to deal with free agents in waiting. Jauron and Levy were in lock-step.

What key players did Tomlin and Macadoo dump? Watkins was the Bills most prized asset......period. That doesn't mean trade him, it means KEEP him.

And the story changes to suit the angle. Suddenly Littman's shadow isn't a factor any more, besides the whole point of why Levy & Jauron got the jobs in the first place.

Tomlin and Steelers had zero compunction in consistently letting their top WRs go over the years. I don't think I need to recite their names to a football sage like you. McAdoo had no worries about not bringing Randle back, despite OBJ's and Cruz's injury concerns. And lo and behold they got Randle-production out of a street FA.

Now, what's the consistent thread between those two story lines? Just like it doesn't matter who Belichick splits out wide on Sundays.

Randle???

He was their most durable WR, especially considering OBJ's and Cruz's injuries. How many people would have predicted Sterling Shepard's production in August 2016?

He was their most durable WR, especially considering OBJ's and Cruz's injuries. How many people would have predicted Sterling Shepard's production in August 2016?

If by "durable" you mean stone-handed, complete lack of lateral burst, and known for dogging it in practice than yes, he was their most durable receiver...

And the story changes to suit the angle. Suddenly Littman's shadow isn't a factor any more, besides the whole point of why Levy & Jauron got the jobs in the first place.

Tomlin and Steelers had zero compunction in consistently letting their top WRs go over the years. I don't think I need to recite their names to a football sage like you. McAdoo had no worries about not bringing Randle back, despite OBJ's and Cruz's injury concerns. And lo and behold they got Randle-production out of a street FA.

Now, what's the consistent thread between those two story lines? Just like it doesn't matter who Belichick splits out wide on Sundays.

Gerry you have gotten beyond lazy in your old age. :flirt:

Let me help you with those names.

Bill Cowher was the HC when they got rid of Plaxico........and Tomlin didn't dump Santonio Holmes until AFTER HE HAD WON A SB.

F*ck......he dumped his own defensive philosophy/systme in favor of keeping the existing DC.

He didn't try to fix what wasn't broken........unlike a typical Bills hire. :doh:

Holmes and Burress were both shady characters that the Steelers/Rooneys chose to draft and got results from........because they tend to realize that it's football practice not choir practice and they hire coaches who can deal with a variety of different personalities.

The Giants loaded up the roster for Macadoo to ensure he would get off to as good of a start as possible.

Comparing Randle to Watkins? OMG. :doh:

Who's history though? Not McBean. This is a different front office and even ownership, they have nothing to do with Lynch/Peters.

Bean and McD seem to be universally respected. This isn't Nix and Chan. I'm going to trust in them until given evidence to the contrary, and none of us have been given any evidence regardless of opinion.

Every crappy coach has nothing to do with the previous crappy coaches. All we've had is crap. You can't blame a fan for not believing in the new coach.

Gerry you have gotten beyond lazy in your old age. :flirt:

Comparing Randle to Watkins? OMG. :doh:

At least I'm consistent in my arguments.

Since my memory is slipping in advanced age, maybe you can refresh me who the "old" poster was that was throwing cold water on the draft day trade that brought Watkins here in the first place? Fuzzy memory recalls a week long harangue that trading away that much value and taking a WR that high without a QB in place was a monumental waste. The logic was to move earth & mountains to get the QB first and then build the supporting cast, because that franchise QB will be on the roster 15+ years and you can always backfill talent around him.

You know, kind of like Steelers and Giants have been doing, which covers up a lot of other personnel mistakes.

So now we have a new staff which appears to take steps to build a proper foundation for the team, knowing that the QB position is still in flux. Yet suddenly your tenor changes, and you're perfectly fine to commit $100 million to a position that's useless until the QB is set. Why? Because you can declare that you were right all along.

That's the main reason people rag on you.

My anger at the front office is that trading Watkins before the year just isn't smart. What's the best scenario with keeping Watkins? The new lineup catches fire, Tyrod does pretty well with a talented group of receivers, maybe we make the playoffs. Even if we missed the playoffs and decide to go all in on a new QB, wouldn't you want him to have a great receiver? We get a 2nd round pick for Watkins now. We'd probably get a 3rd round comp pick next year if we lost him and didn't want to tag him. This, to me, is arrogance in believing that a very good QB can win without great receivers. Not everyone is Tom Brady elite.