Jordan Matthews chest injury (update: Sternum chip)

YoloinOhio

Once camp closes and teams set their roster the value of trading for a player lessens dramatically. Also, every day, every practice, and every preseason game, creates another injury opportunity. Obviously I was not involved in negotiations but it certainly seems from Beane's comments that the Rams interest became serious over the past few days. That is the time to strike. Unlike some, I would assume that any other inquiries were evaluated as being serious or not. I doubt there was that much interest actually.

When would you suggest his value would be higher? He is not signed past this season so at the end of the year there is not much value as teams will just wait for free agency. The trade deadline is a joke. How does a team reasonably integrate a player into their system at mid season? Should they waited another week or two to see if the Rams became more desperate? How does that help the Bills to get their team ready?

After a healthy and productive 2017 season. They could have tagged him and contemplated what to do thereafter.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The option had to be picked up by May 2. They probably had pretty good medical info by then, Whaley was GM in name only at that point if still around. What exactly is a 15 mil salary to this team with no huge QB deal and one offensive star ( that they didn't even draft) on the roster now. You act as though the team is coming off a SB win, with top players throughout the roster needing a payday. 15 mil is not outrageous for a top WR. They also would have had the option of working out an even more cap friendly deal, restructuring others etc. no way would Watkins eventual deal be 80-100m. Looks like 60's to 70 is top buck right now for comparison.

Why don't you try and be an NFL GM? I mean, it sounds like you have some fresh new ideas and would be great at it. You've repeated your Watkins take 1,000 times now. Go chase your dream and fix a franchise. You will be awesome.

CanadianTroll makes Yeezus look average!

Obviously he is not REALLY Canadian. Canadians are polite and/or drunk.

Was in Toronto once on work and a Canadian spilled my drink and for the rest of night he kept paying for my drinks and kept saying he was sorry.

Bartender finally had a cab called for him and told him he would not sell anymore to him. I think he hit his credit limit.

The option had to be picked up by May 2. They probably had pretty good medical info by then, Whaley was GM in name only at that point if still around. What exactly is a 15 mil salary to this team with no huge QB deal and one offensive star ( that they didn't even draft) on the roster now. You act as though the team is coming off a SB win, with top players throughout the roster needing a payday. 15 mil is not outrageous for a top WR. They also would have had the option of working out an even more cap friendly deal, restructuring others etc. no way would Watkins eventual deal be 80-100m. Looks like 60's to 70 is top buck right now for comparison.

It's not about what it would cost for one year but about where you want to focus resources long term. As for the dollars he would command if he actually has a good year, those are the numbers being thrown around for the 2014 class. No way Watkins was going to discount his value. Same issue with Gilmore. As soon as they decided not to pick up his option the dye was cast. I could go either way on the decision to pick up the option, but the fact remains that commiting that guaranteed money to a player who has proved nothing would be a gamble, and makes no sense if you have already decided to move on.

I honestly believe he just didn't want to talk to the media yet

Hard to talk to media when you are having trouble breathing but he could have used sign language (NYC salute).

Remember when Sean Merriman got hurt on the first play after he signed with the Bills? That's still the record.

I still believe he was hurt when he was signed and just faked it long enough to get last paycheck.

Why don't you try and be an NFL GM? I mean, it sounds like you have some fresh new ideas and would be great at it. You've repeated your Watkins take 1,000 times now. Go chase your dream and fix a franchise. You will be awesome.

I'm too smart for those guys.

After a healthy and productive 2017 season. They could have tagged him and contemplated what to do thereafter.[/quot

Then IF that happened he may have had more value. Just as obviously, they concluded the sure thing was better than a gamble.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/12/jordan-matthews-eager-play-tyrod-taylor-keep-representing-2014-wr-draft-class/

"And I also think he has a chip on his shoulder," Matthews said. "When you go through history, the best quarterbacks always have a chip on their shoulders."

Better than a chip in your sternum.

In other news Sammy suffered a hangnail on the flight to LA and will sit out until week 1

Has he asked Byrd for the name of his doctor?

A chest injury and a foot injury for a WR are two very different things. I do think the chest injury could hamper him, but it is much "easier" to manage and play through than a foot which is one of the most critical things for a WR. I agree with the doctor who said he can rest and ice it and manage with pain meds for a couple weeks and ready to go for reg season. It may hurt for months but can be managed. The bigger impact may be the missed reps with TT and the rest of the offense.

Pain medication? There is no need to do that according to wall posters if he is not in drug program once he has done his annual test - just smoke MJ, he cures everything!

That's a good thing. Jmatt and EGaines will be able to provide leadership in the trainers room for any of the more talented players that end up there.

LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE! Yeeeeehaw.

Yes he took Watkins place.

come on scott. if you don't think there was a better chance than not that sammy was leaving, you're just refusing not to look at the reality. they could have kept him by throwing money at him, but the question of value always comes up. buffalo letting him go was a calculated risk to not completely lose out. we don't know if it was wise or not yet.

The same people who will criticize for trade criticized for not signing extension and would criticize if they did not tag, etc.

Some just enjoy criticizing like some enjoy fantasy football or scalping tickets to opposing fans.

The same people who will criticize for trade criticized for not signing extension and would criticize if they did not tag, etc.

Some just enjoy criticizing like some enjoy fantasy football or scalping tickets to opposing fans.

Oh I know. Instead of looking at the reasoning for the trades from all sides, emotion takes over, they plug their ears and scream as to not hear other opinions. It's going to take a while to see if this trade was wise. Some will sit back and wait. Others will scream that they're already right mostly because that's what they do

Oh I know. Instead of looking at the reasoning for the trades from all sides, emotion takes over, they plug their ears and scream as to not hear other opinions. It's going to take a while to see if this trade was wise. Some will sit back and wait. Others will scream that they're already right mostly because that's what they do

How can you say we aren't listening to your opinions? That is the basis of all of this discussion. I have seen a number of people take in one side of the debate, and then respond in kind what they think of it and what they think would have been better. That is the basis of a forum discussing sports. Otherwise we sit here waiting to discuss events that happened and we know for sure like whether CJ Spiller was a good decision. Fun stuff.

edit: Wait, is the jury still out on CJ Spiller? He is still in the league....sooo....

Edited by What a Tuel

I didn't say anything to ignore.

We both don't know what conversations have taken place. You have no idea if Watkins was targeting money as much or more than both Jones and Bryant.

We just don't know.

Sammy in pure games played as a Bill averages 4 catches and 66 yards per game.

We know what range of money sammy wants:

"We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market," Watkins tweeted Sunday.

Thats clear he wants something the market hasnt seen before with regard to wr money.

We know what range of money sammy wants:

"We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market," Watkins tweeted Sunday.

Thats clear he wants something the market hasnt seen before with regard to wr money.

Best of luck to LA. They pretty much have to back up the Brinks truck now....they invested too much to let him walk so they are committed. $$$