Rams' fan reaction to Sammy trade

Fair enough. My only issue is how can we know that Sammy wanted to be here? Everyone makes the assumption that he was all in. Not a single one of us knows what happens in the locker room. Sammy telling the media that he wanted to be in Buffalo means very little. Sammy pushing himself out isn't a possibility I'm willing to discount.

Of course not because you have a bias against him so you invent reasons to justify the trade.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. My only issue is how can we know that Sammy wanted to be here? Everyone makes the assumption that he was all in. Not a single one of us knows what happens in the locker room. Sammy telling the media that he wanted to be in Buffalo means very little. Sammy pushing himself out isn't a possibility I'm willing to discount.

McBeane admitted at the press conference he never spoke to Sammy about his long term plans. Sammy stated he wanted to be here long term earlier in camp.

Of course, Sammy could have been lying but the GM never asked.

We got just one draft pick for Sammy. If it isn't an elite talent or a QB, we lost the trade. Even if we win the next 10 Super Bowls.

An additional second round pick with the third from the Eagles gives us a lot of flexibility. Players could always be included in draft day trades as well. Maybe we could use those picks to move into the top 5 (if we don't pick there anyway) or we could even end up with three first round draft picks using the picks we gained.

Of course not because you have a bias against him so you event reasons to justify the trade.

You are correct, there had to be "event reasons" it was a big one. You also have your own bias being unable to admit that we'd never know if he wanted to be here. Neither one of us know. It's just ridiculous that so many people claim to know.

McBeane admitted at the press conference he never spoke to Sammy about his long term plans. Sammy stated he wanted to be here long term earlier in camp.

Of course, Sammy could have been lying but the GM never asked.

I will admit that Beane admitting to that is not a good look for him. Beane doesn't seem like the type of GM a player would want to sign on with. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

If this trade was reversed, I'd be running running around my neighborhood naked screaming and high fiving everyone. We got a receiver with similar numbers in 3 years to Julio Jones who played with bad throwing qbs, in a high school run first offense! It would be amazing.

The Rams' GM was on his way to get fired. We just single handedly saved his job. The Bills are so nice.

What do those 3 year numbers look like?

An additional second round pick with the third from the Eagles gives us a lot of flexibility. Players could always be included in draft day trades as well. Maybe we could use those picks to move into the top 5 (if we don't pick there anyway) or we could even end up with three first round draft picks using the picks we gained.

You are correct, there had to be "event reasons" it was a big one. You also have your own bias being unable to admit that we'd never know if he wanted to be here. Neither one of us know. It's just ridiculous that so many people claim to know.

I will admit that Beane admitting to that is not a good look for him. Beane doesn't seem like the type of GM a player would want to sign on with.

Fixed it. :lol:

If we become a playoff team any time soon those draft picks will have something to do with it. QB's are more important than any reciever. Think of how most HOF recievers are accompanied by HOF QB's. Calvin Johnson was an all time great. He didn't help Detroit win anything.

it's a team game. nobody wins this game alone. Megatron had a QB yes. didn't have much help elsewhere. Bills on the other hand have decent talent in every position. Prior to the trade, you look at DBs, LBs, D line, O line, RB, WRs and TEs, AND kickers, are all pretty solid. Big question mark was in QB. We aren't team perfect but this is the most talent across the board Bills team I have seen since Flutie days. And good teams need game breakers to help them get that edge in winning seasons and playoffs. For Pats it's Brady and Gronk. Sammy was one of our game breakers who makes others better when on the field. Now we're down to 1 - Shady. And he's in his last legs as an aging RB at 29. Who knows how many good seasons he got left - 1? 2?

I think they are clueless. They rented a player for the season. Lets see how they feel after Sammy plays 9 games this season and is gone in FA.

It's a risk, but they gave up only a 2nd rounder essentially for a potential pro-bowl calibre talent whom by every indication they intend to sign for longer term.

it's a team game. nobody wins this game alone. Megatron had a QB yes. didn't have much help elsewhere. Bills on the other hand have decent talent in every position. Prior to the trade, you look at DBs, LBs, D line, O line, RB, WRs and TEs, AND kickers, are all pretty solid. Big question mark was in QB. We aren't team perfect but this is the most talent across the board Bills team I have seen since Flutie days. And good teams need game breakers to help them get that edge in winning seasons and playoffs. For Pats it's Brady and Gronk. Sammy was one of our game breakers who makes others better when on the field. Now we're down to 1 - Shady. And he's in his last legs as an aging RB at 29. Who knows how many good seasons he got left - 1? 2?

It's just difficult for me to as upset as everyone else over Sammy. The real travesty occurred several years ago when our defense was dismantled. We were on the brink of having something great. Rex tore it apart immediately sending us into rebuild mode. We will recover from this Sammy trade. Rex is the one who will be more difficult to recover from.

It's just difficult for me to as upset as everyone else over Sammy. The real travesty occurred several years ago when our defense was dismantled. We were on the brink of having something great. Rex tore it apart immediately sending us into rebuild mode. We will recover from this Sammy trade. Rex is the one who will be more difficult to recover from.

Rex was a timing mistake. Wrong scheme for the defensive personnel. I think we still have the core D line from that D - Darius, Kyle, Hughes whom I think will look much much better this season along with Lawson. We still got decent LB core and DBs. Yes Kyle and Hughes are 2 years older now but we did add Washington and Shaq since. I think returning to 4-3 will make this D come closer to what we saw with Schwartz. I truly believe once the season is 4 weeks old all the questions will be on the offense, and Gaines. That's it. Mark my words.

Here's what I find very interesting. Posters like you, Kirby, & Kelly are very positive and knowledge fans. You guys aren't the type to just bash the Bills for no reason like other people. But you guys also recognize that giving up top talent, especially a guy who's 24, normally doesn't work out well for you. We've done this with Peters, who we got a 1st rounder for. We did this with Lynch, who basically forced our hand so it is more understandable.

If I had to bet money, EJ Gaines and that 2nd round will never come close to the career Sammy will have. And always, I hope I'm wrong.

I hear you.

However, let's base the winner of this trade on what each team accomplishes rather than just those involved in the trade. Sammy can have a HOF career for all I care. It'll take time to get the results of this trade.

I get those who say we lost a special talent. This team is being reshaped by a new regime. I choose to give them room to do so. We'll see.

It's a risk, but they gave up only a 2nd rounder essentially for a potential pro-bowl calibre talent whom by every indication they intend to sign for longer term.

Yeah my issue with that is he is UFA. So unless they franchise him (which will be around $16 million he can just walk away.

Yeah my issue with that is he is UFA. So unless they franchise him (which will be around $16 million he can just walk away.

If he plays like they hope they will sign him long term or franchise him. If he doesn't they will want him to walk away. Its a second round pick. Not a huge deal. We spent two firsts and a fourth. In return we didn't even get the value of Stevie Johnson while here and a second round pick.

Edited by Scott7975

True enough about Calvin Johnson. You can look at Moulds here in Buffalo as well. But they didn't need these picks to get a QB. They had plenty of draft capital to move up if they wanted to with their two #1. The key to getting a top QB at this point is identifying the right one. If they had a HOF WR waiting for him then that would have only helped.

You don't know that

Yup and he's under their control in a sense with franchise. They get the best shot of any team because 1) the carrot of being wanted by a team. 2) Rams are going to pay whatever to keep him. They brought in an offensive coach. They got a brand new self-financed stadium to fill. They gotta compete with Chargers for LA sports fans. They want bums in the seats. Woods and Austin aren't going to be exciting enough of an offense to sell the seats and boxes. Sammy completes that offense with ability to stretch the field, and make high-light catches. THAT will sell seats and boxes.

So they will pay to keep him. Courtship just started. Look at them react to this trade.

I haven't actually look at his numbers (can't remember last time) but I've always liked the way he played, him and Marshall was as dynamic a WR duo as I'd seen recently. And Cooper/Watkins may be a matter of personal preference, or the result of Crabtree's resurgence. So it's a fair point. I just wanted to make a list to see if I could come up with 10 guys I'd take over Watkins. I think I have him pretty firmly in the 14-17 range, which is very very good but not quite what I'd call among the best.

One thing to take into consideration is that we are compiling these lists while very close to what would be considered the absolute worst case scenario for what you'd ever get out of him. If you zoom out and figure the spectrum runs from the rib/calf and bad qb era as low end Sammy (rookie w/ nagging injuries and poor scheme) and the 9 game stretch as his best (best in the league caliber).... and accept that catastrophic injury is risk for anyone (i.e. 2 year lisfranc issues that should recur and are generally freak injuries)....

I think he's objectively a top ten WR that's being judged at his lowest possible value by many

I live in Los Angeles, and I would say, "all of the above." LA was starving for a football team. I know people who are LA natives who were fans of various other teams- Cowboys, Titans, and Chiefs, for example. I have no idea why they chose those teams to be fans of. But, they all became Rams fans when they moved back here. The Chargers' arrival has thrown a wrench in that, I think. But, these are all people who follow football. It's a fan base that is still developing, and I can say that this signing gives them a bit of a shot in the arm.

Thanks. This is really informative. The whole concept of switching teams is a foreign concept for me. I grew up a Bills fan, and can't imagine myself ever rooting for another team.

I live in the DC area now, and the only team I've been able to adopt is the Wizards.

This really seems like a group of posters that still have ill will feelings towards an EX.

Sammy is no longer here and who gives two ***** if all seven of the Rams fans celebrated.

Like other posters have said, if you flipped the script we would be just as pumped.

Let it go already

Let's see how it works out before rushing to judgment.

The Bills brass thinks Watkins is going to have a difficult time staying on the field. Otherwise, this move is NEVER made.

First, they didn't pick up Watkins option and then they saw him out on the field. The concerns were still there, so they dealt him away.

Let's wait and see what the draft pick brings in return.

Gaines might work out, but you never know.

We have no idea if Sammy is healthy, also at least we traded him to LA. Those Rams fans who are laughing in LA could all car pool together in the same Tesla car.

Most non biased parties say that it wasn't a terrible trade for us. Reading this board you'd assume that everyone is saying it's terrible trade of historic proportions.

Thats because most fans here think Sammy has a bust in canton already. They cant or willfully wont seperate potential from what has actually occurred.