Rams' fan reaction to Sammy trade

I dont know what the Rams record will be this year, but they have a lot more potential than you are giving them. They are loaded with offensive weapons right now, a stout D, and a young QB who showed some promise.

If Goff can be even average they will win more than 5 games. And your assessment that Sammy will for sure miss 8 games proves you have literally no understanding or knowledge about the injury Sammy actually had. So let me help you understand...its an injury that take a while to heal and very little can be done to expedite it. But once FULLY healed, its almost always stronger than it was before the injury and highly unlikely to reoccur. He came back to early last year and it set him back. Now its fully healed.

So, in a betting scenario, I would take the over on both your predictions every single time. Sammy wont miss anything close to 8 games this year and I think the Rams will finish with more than 5 wins. I mean they are being gifted 2 from the lowly Niners before the season even starts. However, as you alluded to in your post, it does depend on Goff (who you clearly think is a bust) and his ability to show he has a future as a starter in the NFL.

I can tell you being here in LA, I have liked what I have seen from Goff this offseason. No way to know if he remotely comes close to living up to his draft status, but the kid looks far from an after thought right now as many regard him as.

We won't know for 3 years if this was a good or bad trade.

I'm betting that we came out the winners by a mile. That's where my money is.

We'll see. Only time will tell.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players that aren't healthy fail physicals and trades are nullified. The NFL isn't a third world country. They have doctors.

This doesn't mean that the team didn't have concerns about his ability to stay healthy. Do all doctors agree on everything? It's not as if a player has never been traded only to suffer from injuries with his new team.

It's not just about the games he play in or started...it's also about how often he was playing hurt. I loved Sammy as a writer for the bills, and would rather still have had him on this team, but his nagging injuries were evident in his play. I'm willing to bet he hasn't been completely healthy for 50% of his time here.

The poster implies that he's somehow likely to miss far more time than he plays.

Even in his most injury-plagued season, that's never been the case.

People have gone off the deep end when it comes to this player.

EDIT: sorry; I should make it clear that I don't mean you specifically when I say that some folks have gone off the deep end when it comes to Sammy

The facts are simple:

- He's NEVER missed more time in a season than he's played

- When he receives a similar target share to players like Julio, Antonio, and OBJ, he's at least as productive

- He's under 25 years old and would be an asset to any young QB that would come into this organization

Edited by thebandit27

Watkins/Woods were on this team together, what did they accomplish? I'm not saying neither is talented, both are but i think as fans we over value players, Watkins can be on an elite level but will he ever be? Now he has Goff throwing to him, unless that guy is a totally different mindset this season, Sammy will be tweeting about "getting him" the ball.

Yeah, the Bills have lost in the past so we might as well dump our best as that means we won't win in the future. And who would want a top WR that actually wants the ball thrown to him? Because none of the best WRs in the league ever say they want the ball thrown to them all the time, or make comments to that effect when talking to the media. The better WRs in the league are usually known as reserved, quiet personalities.

This doesn't mean that the team didn't have concerns about his ability to stay healthy. Do all doctors agree on everything? It's not as if a player has never been traded only to suffer from injuries with his new team.

I'll bet they checked it out pretty thoroughly. These guys have high paying jobs that they would like to keep. Believe what you like.

Yeah, the Bills have lost in the past so we might as well dump our best as that means we won't win in the future. And who would want a top WR that actually wants the ball thrown to him? Because none of the best WRs in the league ever say they want the ball thrown to them all the time, or make comments to that effect when talking to the media. The better WRs in the league are usually known as reserved, quiet personalities.

Is your contention that Watkins is one of the best wideouts in the league?

Where would you place him in that group?

I'll say that there definitely aren't 10 receivers in the NFL that I'd take ahead of him.

Really?

Off the top of my head:

Julio Jones

Odell Beckham Jr

Antonio Brown

Mike Evans

AJ Green

DeAndre Hopkins

Dez Bryant

Amari Cooper

Alshon Jeffery

Allen Robinson

Demariyus Thomas...is that 10?

Serious question - who are Rams fans these days? People who followed them in St. Louis and didn't boycott when they moved? People who liked them when they were in L.A. the first time and patient until they came home? People who in L.A. who became fans a year ago?

I'm not questioning whether these reactions are legitimate, I just don't know who uses a Rams message board.

Really?

Off the top of my head:

Julio Jones

Odell Beckham Jr

Antonio Brown

Mike Evans

AJ Green

DeAndre Hopkins

Dez Bryant

Amari Cooper

Alshon Jeffery

Allen Robinson

Demariyus Thomas...is that 10?

For me, you can scratch Cooper and Jeffrey from that list.

Sammy did more in 13 games in 2015 with Tyrod and EJ than Cooper did in that same year playing 15 games with Derek Carr.

Also, when was the last time you looked at Jeffrey's numbers?

For me, you can scratch Cooper and Jeffrey from that list.

Sammy did more in 13 games in 2015 with Tyrod and EJ than Cooper did in that same year playing 15 games with Derek Carr.

Also, when was the last time you looked at Jeffrey's numbers?

I haven't actually look at his numbers (can't remember last time) but I've always liked the way he played, him and Marshall was as dynamic a WR duo as I'd seen recently. And Cooper/Watkins may be a matter of personal preference, or the result of Crabtree's resurgence. So it's a fair point. I just wanted to make a list to see if I could come up with 10 guys I'd take over Watkins. I think I have him pretty firmly in the 14-17 range, which is very very good but not quite what I'd call among the best.

I'll bet they checked it out pretty thoroughly. These guys have high paying jobs that they would like to keep. Believe what you like.

Team doctors might want to keep their jobs, but that still doesn't mean they always agree. The belief of what one doctor says isn't necessarily what another might say. So I will believe what I like. I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm just saying that injures probably were a concern to the Bills. I don't think it's a far fetched theory at all.

Serious question - who are Rams fans these days? People who followed them in St. Louis and didn't boycott when they moved? People who liked them when they were in L.A. the first time and patient until they came home? People who in L.A. who became fans a year ago?

I'm not questioning whether these reactions are legitimate, I just don't know who uses a Rams message board.

I live in Los Angeles, and I would say, "all of the above." LA was starving for a football team. I know people who are LA natives who were fans of various other teams- Cowboys, Titans, and Chiefs, for example. I have no idea why they chose those teams to be fans of. But, they all became Rams fans when they moved back here. The Chargers' arrival has thrown a wrench in that, I think. But, these are all people who follow football. It's a fan base that is still developing, and I can say that this signing gives them a bit of a shot in the arm.

Yeah. The only way this trade works out for the Bills is if Watkins has long term injury issues with his foot. Otherwise, the Rams scored big time. Luckily the Bills hosed the Eagles so that makes it all hurt a little less. A little.

Team doctors might want to keep their jobs, but that still doesn't mean they always agree. The belief of what one doctor says isn't necessarily what another might say. So I will believe what I like. I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm just saying that injures probably were a concern to the Bills. I don't think it's a far fetched theory at all.

It's not far fetched, but as they had virtually nothing to lose and everything to gain it was a poor rationale for a move. They didn't actually have to do anything long term until after 2018 if they had simply picked up the 5th year option. A trigger happy panic move by Beane, likely to avoid looking worse if he couldn't retain the player because they didn't exercise the option. Oh , and I was referring to the team execs, not so much the docs.

Edited by Boatdrinks

Yeah. The only way this trade works out for the Bills is if Watkins has long term injury issues with his foot. Otherwise, the Rams scored big time. Luckily the Bills hosed the Eagles so that makes it all hurt a little less. A little.

Really? If we become a playoff team and Sammy is successful we both win. What if Sammy puts up huge hall of fame numbers yet doesn't win a title? While we find a franchise QB becoming a competitive franchise?

Really? If we become a playoff team and Sammy is successful we both win. What if Sammy puts up huge hall of fame numbers yet doesn't win a title? While we find a franchise QB becoming a competitive franchise?

If Sammy becomes a HOF receiver and the Bills become a playoff team without him then that's great, but it wouldn't be because they traded Sammy. Trading HOF players as they are about to enter their prime is not how you improve your team.

Edited by vincec

If Sammy becomes a HOF receiver and the Bills become a playoff team without him then that's great, but it wouldn't be because they traded Sammy.

If we become a playoff team any time soon those draft picks will have something to do with it. QB's are more important than any reciever. Think of how most HOF recievers are accompanied by HOF QB's. Calvin Johnson was an all time great. He didn't help Detroit win anything. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

If we become a playoff team any time soon those draft picks will have something to do with it. QB's are more important than any reciever. Think of how most HOF recievers are accompanied by HOF QB's. Calvin Johnson was an all time great. He didn't help Detroit win anything.

True enough about Calvin Johnson. You can look at Moulds here in Buffalo as well. But they didn't need these picks to get a QB. They had plenty of draft capital to move up if they wanted to with their two #1. The key to getting a top QB at this point is identifying the right one. If they had a HOF WR waiting for him then that would have only helped.

True enough about Calvin Johnson. You can look at Moulds here in Buffalo as well. But they didn't need these picks to get a QB. They had plenty of draft capital to move up if they wanted to with their two #1. The key to getting a top QB at this point is identifying the right one. If they had a HOF WR waiting for him then that would have only helped.

Fair enough. My only issue is how can we know that Sammy wanted to be here? Everyone makes the assumption that he was all in. Not a single one of us knows what happens in the locker room. Sammy telling the media that he wanted to be in Buffalo means very little. Sammy pushing himself out isn't a possibility I'm willing to discount.

If we become a playoff team any time soon those draft picks will have something to do with it. QB's are more important than any reciever. Think of how most HOF recievers are accompanied by HOF QB's. Calvin Johnson was an all time great. He didn't help Detroit win anything.

We got just one draft pick for Sammy. If it isn't an elite talent or a QB, we lost the trade. Even if we win the next 10 Super Bowls.