1. 1. Which group is better

• 2016 (RW, MG, SW...)
    • 2017(Z,Q, JM...)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously there is a lot of emotion on the specific player transactions.

No matter what you think of the individuals, what do you think about the group vs last seasons, or even prior years?

This is a tricky question...overall, our WR group is deeper in 2017. However, the single best player is Sammy Watkins, and he was on the 2016 roster, but mostly was a decoy or out the whole season, so are we talking about how 2016 played out or are we talking talent?

Here is how I grade it based on NO injuries, straight healthy players going into week 1.

Overall Depth: 2017 by a wide gap

Starting Talent: 2016 by a narrow margin. Sammy significantly the most talented, Woods is average. SW talent gives it an edge though over what ever 2 start this year. We have several WR's on our roster now that I believe are better than Woods, so while the #1 this year wont be as good as Sammy, the #2 will be an upgrade, so its close. I am guessing the starting 2 WR's are going to be at some point early in the season Jordan and Zay. I know a lot of people think its going to be Boldin, but I have a feeling he is going to be used more on 3rd downs, redzone threat, and as a 3rd WR to get the most value out of him at this stage of his career. But all 3 of those guys are better than Woods, and yes, I know ZJ hasn't played a down yet, but I do feel he will be a better player than Woods.

Now if you factor in all the injuries, then its easily 2017 since every single WR we had last year was hurt at some point and the most talented basically was unable to do contribute much.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I would say overall the 2017 recievers are better. However, what worries me is that none of the top recievers were here last year. Zay, bolden and now matthews are all brand new. Do they even know how the get to the stadium yet? I worry that they don't play with a sense of urgency. I guess that's where McDermott comes in

This is a tricky question...overall, our WR group is deeper in 2017. However, the single best player is Sammy Watkins, and he was on the 2016 roster, but mostly was a decoy or out the whole season, so are we talking about how 2016 played out or are we talking talent?

Here is how I grade it based on NO injuries, straight healthy players going into week 1.

Starting Talent: 2016 by a narrow margin. Sammy significantly the most talented, Woods is average. SW talent gives it an edge though over what ever 2 start this year. We have several WR's on our roster now that I believe are better than Woods, so while the #1 this year wont be as good as Sammy, the #2 will be an upgrade, so its close. I am guessing the starting 2 WR's are going to be at some point early in the season Jordan and Zay. I know a lot of people think its going to be Boldin, but I have a feeling he is going to be used more on 3rd downs, redzone threat, and as a 3rd WR to get the most value out of him at this stage of his career. But all 3 of those guys are better than Woods, and yes, I know ZJ hasn't played a down yet, but I do feel he will be a better player than Woods.

Now if you factor in all the injuries, then its easily 2017 since every single WR we had last year was hurt at some point and the most talented basically was unable to do contribute much.

Pretty sound assessment.

Having three decent guys versus one stud, an average guy and then a bunch of fringe guys is better/deeper.

I'm there also

2017 hasn't been played yet. Matthews has knee tendinitis and Boldin is 46 years old. Zay has yet to play an NFL game. Why are we assuming that we solved the injury issue in our WR corps?

2017 hasn't been played yet. Matthews has knee tendinitis and Boldin is 46 years old. Zay has yet to play an NFL game. Why are we assuming that we solved the injury issue in our WR corps?

But didn't you indignantly assume that Watkins would be better in 2017 than the combo of Matthews and Boldin? Wouldn't you ironically be assuming that Watkins resolved his injury issue?

Jauronimo, I think you are a solid poster but you are full of inconsistencies today.

Edited by Magox

Boldin and Matthews have been slot receivers . Will that work out ok here ?

Boldin has played inside and out his whole career. Mathews has the size and speed to play outside, as does Zay. So I'm hopeful. Also for WCO, seems like wideouts route trees are closer to slot guys anyhow.

If Chris hogan can get open outside deep i suspect at least Zay and Jordan can as they have similar speed.

That aside, consider the pats run 4 wide sets with all former slot guys.

But didn't you indignantly assume that Watkins would be better in 2017 than the combo of Matthews and Boldin? Wouldn't you ironically be assuming that Watkins resolved his injury issue?

Jauronimo, I think you are a solid poster but you are full of inconsistencies today.

No, I didn't. I haven't said anything resembling that sentiment.

In fact you have that backward. The people praising the trade have largely assumed that Watkins injury issues will persist.

Edited by Jauronimo

One of my good friends is a Cowboys fan and he had a great point about they type of offense we are now running being a much better option for Buffalo weather.

When so much of your passing game is focused on vertical routes you put yourself at a disadvantage in the wind/snow.

The WCO and more horizontal routes are easier to play in the elements. You don't have to abandon half your offense because of wind. I'd be curious to see the rate at which we hit on deep balls later into the season. It makes some sense.

Julio Jones and Dez Bryant have struggled with injuries over the last few years, however the WR corps for Dallas and Atlanta are much better with them on the roster. Same goes for Watkins and the Bills.

The ultimate impact of losing Watkins is in the number of 8 and 9 man fronts the Bills will face. With a legit deep threat on the field, the Bills could take advantage of those situations. If they can't make defenses pay, then the running game is going to have a more difficult time.

I was a big fan of robert when he was here.

The dude reminded me of a poor mans Hines ward. He balled out every play.

It just sucked tyrod couldn't even get him the ball asides from the Seattle game.

But I guess I'm happy to see the new names we brought in. I'll take the new group because of the freshness.

Edited by GETTOTHE50

I was a big fan of robert when he was here.

The dude reminded me of a poor mans Hines ward. He balled out every play.

It just sucked tyrod couldn't even get him the ball asides from the Seattle game.

But I guess I'm happy to see the new names we brought in. I'll take the new group because of the freshness.

I think because of Taylors height restriction, bigger, taller, and tougher WR corp helps counter the low visibility of smaller targets playing amongst a wave of big bodies (IMO).

Edited by Figster