Are We Looking at Two Years of Tanking?

Look, I've seen a bunch of threads closed down. But I am seriously worried. And this is a seasoned Kool Aid drinker talking.

Let's not mince words. Gaines and Matthews are a downgrade from Darby and Watkins. Whether or not you think the picks we got in the meanwhile are worth it, let's not kid ourselves, this is a downgrade at both spots. If I was looking at this year and going "ok, we are dumping a lot of vet salary and leveraging our assets to get picks and start anew" I could face that. But the thing is, we can't dump vet salary until next year. Our biggest cap hits will be Clay, Dareus, Hughes, Glenn, Ritchie, TT and Shady, and the times it's anywhere near affordable to cut them loose is 2018.

When we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. And if there is a purge, that's a lot of capital to take a QB in the top 5. Which, you know, might work out. But I have spoken ill of tanking before. No one is thinking the Browns will do anything. The 'Skins did not prosper by betting the farm on RGIII. All of the 1st and 2nd overall QB picks in the past few years have failed to even get their teams into the playoffs, never mind a championship.

Might we get the golden ticket? Maybe. But if this team is a purging of known talent, with an almost certainty of pain this year, for a possible benefit that might, might, yield results in 2019...I don't think i can take that.

Not tanking or Yates would be starting. If we get a QB he's not starting next year anyhow. Nothing is any different. We were a .500 team before and we will be a .500 team still. Only difference is we have a chance at adding some future talent next year so in 2 years maybe we look like a real team

Not tanking or Yates would be starting. If we get a QB he's not starting next year anyhow. Nothing is any different. We were a .500 team before and we will be a .500 team still. Only difference is we have a chance at adding some future talent next year so in 2 years maybe we look like a real team

And at this point - just blow it up now Browns style. Why keep the older guys? It's not worth going 7-9 or 6-10 and just missing shots at the blue chippers.

And at this point - just blow it up now Browns style. Why keep the older guys? It's not worth going 7-9 or 6-10 and just missing shots at the blue chippers.

Trade Tyrod bench Peterman, he looked too good to be put on the field, could pull out a win maybe. Yates seems like the best chance to rebuild at this point. Trade Mccoy even, just for contract, and give Kyle Williams the option to "opt out" and retire. Sound right? My honest opinion is we will still be competetive for 7 wins due to the running game and Tyrod being mobile, passing will be similar to last year's results, defense actually plays better with less talent on paper, but we have a tougher schedule. Sticking to 7 wins. Jmo

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

Trade Tyrod bench Peterman, he looked too good to be put on the field, could pull out a win maybe. Yates seems like the best chance to rebuild at this point. Trade Mccoy even, just for contract, and give Kyle Williams the option to "opt out" and retire. Sound right? My honest opinion is we will still be competetive for 7 wins due to the running game and Tyrod being mobile, passing will be similar to last year's results, defense actually plays better with less talent on paper, but we have a tougher schedule. Sticking to 7 wins. Jmo

:lol:

I also don't see a tank, but I surely see a major transition, both in our entire WR corps and SECONDARY corps where 7/24 starters from 2016 have been replaced, not to mention all the depth

The question is will Mgmt now turn to every other starter from 2016 and replicate?

If they are continually in transition, its that much harder to play winning football, which is my greatest fear when the Bills take on new rookie mgmt, typically that transition of players takes 3-4 years, where you don't win, and its the next regime that benefits from all your moves

Time will tell here, but I agree with the assessment that the trades today make us weaker short term, more so in the secondary, long term they likely make the Bills much much stronger, if they can re-sign or franchise Matthews, and if they hit on the extra 2 picks acquired, just the same as maybe we got a weaker DB in White than what we could have gotten at #10, that extra draft pick, if we hit, bodes well for the future, and the future really is the 2018 draft for this team

jc

They arent tanking. They may be trying to stock some picks and rebuilding through the draft but that doesnt necessarily mean tanking. If they were tanking then they dont resign Tyrod, let Kyle retire, dump McCoy, Clay, Dareus and take those dead cap hits now. They also dont sign Boldin.

What they are doing is trying to be a competitive team while building it properly through the draft.

Look, I've seen a bunch of threads closed down. But I am seriously worried. And this is a seasoned Kool Aid drinker talking.

Let's not mince words. Gaines and Matthews are a downgrade from Darby and Watkins. Whether or not you think the picks we got in the meanwhile are worth it, let's not kid ourselves, this is a downgrade at both spots. If I was looking at this year and going "ok, we are dumping a lot of vet salary and leveraging our assets to get picks and start anew" I could face that. But the thing is, we can't dump vet salary until next year. Our biggest cap hits will be Clay, Dareus, Hughes, Glenn, Ritchie, TT and Shady, and the times it's anywhere near affordable to cut them loose is 2018.

When we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. And if there is a purge, that's a lot of capital to take a QB in the top 5. Which, you know, might work out. But I have spoken ill of tanking before. No one is thinking the Browns will do anything. The 'Skins did not prosper by betting the farm on RGIII. All of the 1st and 2nd overall QB picks in the past few years have failed to even get their teams into the playoffs, never mind a championship.

Might we get the golden ticket? Maybe. But if this team is a purging of known talent, with an almost certainty of pain this year, for a possible benefit that might, might, yield results in 2019...I don't think i can take that.

Half tank; a really bad offense and a strong defense gets us a top pick(s) to rebuild the offense and we are good to go. Go Bills!!!

As others have said, if this was a true tank, Shady would be gone and Yates would be your starting QB. That guy is hot garbage.

It's not a full blown tank, but it is the start of something we haven't smelled around OBD in a very long time: competent long term vision.

NO

It's a brilliant move. Opposing teams won't know who to cover because all our receivers are so mediocre.

Opposing teams will be getting kicked by McCoys heels, getting out reached by 5 - 6'2"+ WR and TE's and getting sacked by Alexander, Hughes and Yarbo!

They arent tanking. They may be trying to stock some picks and rebuilding through the draft but that doesnt necessarily mean tanking. If they were tanking then they dont resign Tyrod, let Kyle retire, dump McCoy, Clay, Dareus and take those dead cap hits now. They also dont sign Boldin.

What they are doing is trying to be a competitive team while building it properly through the draft.

Stop posting on this board your making TOO much sense!!!!

might as well hire Jeff Fisher too

Marv wants a HC job again.

"Tanking," as we are to understand it, is a team's intent to do less than everything it can to win. It is a concerted effort over several months (and perhaps several seasons) by a team to deliberately not be as good as it could be. It is considered cheap, disingenuous and dishonest, the byproduct of a flawed system where a team can be rewarded for being bad and where deliberately losing is thereby a strategic decision.

IF WE WEREN'T TANKING YESTERDAY THAN WE ARE NOT TANKING TODAY!

It was a trade for players to help now and the future. That is good business.