Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

That wasn't a response.

You agree that the 2017 is worse off now, correct? That we are undergoing some short term pain for long term gain, yes? Does that indicate they have high hopes for this group in the short-term?

Of course it's a response and an appropriate one at that.

Making a situation marginally worse for 2017 and potentially better for 2018 is not the same as "throwing in the towel".

Do you know what that idiom stands for?

throw in the towel, Informal. to concede defeat; give up; yield:

Are they conceding or giving up the season by replacing two durable starters in Matthews and Boldin vs one very dynamic yet often injured player in Watkins? Odds are that you will get more production throughout the season with these two players than you will with Watkins. I'm not saying that I'd rather have them over Watkins, but these two have proven to be productive possession like receivers which is what the West Coast offense that Dennison is to be running this year.

I don't think there would be that much of a drop off in offensive production. We certainly aren't throwing in the towel for the season, we simply replaced Sammy with 2 solid players in Boldin and Matthews and are looking to build the future with draft picks.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it's a response and an appropriate one at that.

Making a situation marginally worse for 2017 and potentially better for 2018 is not the same as "throwing in the towel".

Do you know what that idiom stands for?

throw in the towel, Informal. to concede defeat; give up; yield:

Are they conceding or giving up the season by replacing two durable starters in Matthews and Boldin vs one very dynamic yet often injured player in Watkins? Odds are that you will get more production throughout the season with these two players than you will with Watkins. I'm not saying that I'd rather have them over Watkins, but these two have proven to be productive possession like receivers which is what the West Coast offense that Dennison is to be running this year.

I don't think there would be that much of a drop off in offensive production. We certainly aren't throwing in the towel for the season, we simply replaced Sammy with 2 solid players in Boldin and Matthews and are looking to build the future with draft picks.

Yes, it is. When you're gearing up for a playoff run, you don't make your team marginally worse in the short term. They made their team worse in the short term because they expect nothing out of the team in the short term.

If they thought we were making the playoffs this year, they wouldn't have traded Sammy and made us worse.

Edited by jmc12290

Is he as rare as Herschel Walker?

1. RB is easiest position to fill.

2. We did not get even a fraction of what Dallas got in that trade.

3. Not even remotely comparable.

4. He is more valuable and talented than Walker was when Sammy is healthy.

5. Walker had a lot less time left on his career when that trade happened.

Sammy is a rare talent...we just gave up on a young rare player for a future 2nd round pick and marginal DB. Not liking it. We had nothing to lose letting Sammy play this year, there was no reason to do this trade IMO.

And the type of injury he had is one that is hard to recover from and takes time because there isn't much you can do. And his lingered because they pressed to early last year between him and the staff. But once a full recovery is done, its almost always stronger than it was before it was injured. So, this really seemed like an injury he's fully past now, and a healthy Sammy is a top 10 WR in the NFL, and the potential to be ELITE. With him being so young, just don't think we got back enough value to make this move.

I mean, most of you people want to cut a recent 2nd rounder before he has ever played a single snap in the NFL in Ragland, yet now you champion a 2nd rounder next year like its the holy grail. Sammy is special, and the odds of a 2nd round pick producing a player of his talent level are low. When you are 17 years from your last playoff appearance, you should gamble on talent, not an unknown draft pick IMO. And to me Sammy was a low risk gamble now that his foot injury was gone and declined his option so were not tied to him long term if it did have injury issues again.

Watkins probably becomes to costly next season so Buffalo can end up with nothing or a 2nd rounder.

I realize we lose arguably our best player when healthy this season , but has Sammy shown an ability to stay healthy?

Awwww man, its been a tough day...

Yes, it is. When you're gearing up for a playoff run, you don't make your team marginally worse in the short term. They made their team worse in the short term because they expect nothing out of the team in the short term.

If they thought we were making the playoffs this year, they wouldn't have traded Sammy and made us worse.

I don't even know what you are arguing anymore. Clearly you are having a hard time with the idiom "throwing in the towel"

Edited by Magox

I don't even know what you are arguing anymore. Clearly you are having a hard time with the idiom "throwing in the towel"

No, I don't. They are conceding the season. They aren't going all-in for a playoff run, they are folding and trying to build their chip pile.

I'm not saying it's a bad move. It's just what they are doing.

No, I don't. They are conceding the season. They aren't going all-in for a playoff run, they are folding and trying to build their chip pile.

I'm not saying it's a bad move. It's just what they are doing.

Dude, give it a rest. I already said we are arguing semantics here. We clearly have different definitions of "throwing in the towel". Let's just leave it at that. :lol:

Dude, give it a rest. I already said we are arguing semantics here. We clearly have different definitions of "throwing in the towel". Let's just leave it at that. :lol:

Fair enough.

Here's to the 2018 draft being loaded with star power.

Edited by jmc12290

Short of just cutting these two, there aren't a ton of moves you could make today that drop the quality of our 53 more on paper

That aside, I think it's reasonable to find it even more frustrating to think that we hurt our odds in 2017 without actually tossing the towel in... surely you can kind of see that argument even if you don't totally agree

Fair enough.

Here's to the 2018 draft being loaded with star power.

:beer:

Short of just cutting these two, there aren't a ton of moves you could make today that drop the quality of our 53 more on paper

That aside, I think it's reasonable to find it even more frustrating to think that we hurt our odds in 2017 without actually tossing the towel in... surely you can kind of see that argument even if you don't totally agree

Yes, I can agree to that.

Finally!! :lol:

Shady and TT next. Please.

Nope.

And, I'm honestly quite surprised that the "yes" votes are ahead.

After reading so many posts, I get it. I just don't agree with it. I will never hope the Bills win fewer games in a season. I will never be in favor of tanking. I will never be happy when we lose one of our best players. I will never look towards the next season, while the one in front of us is still unfolding. I will always look towards the next game, and always hope that we win it.

So the Rams, who have a good defense, and have now added Watkins to Gurley, Woods and an offensive minded coach are a potentially high 2nd pick?

Without a QB they have a less talented offense than we had last year and a complete defensive overhaul.

I think they will compete with SF at the bottoms of the division.

On the record:

I think it's the smart, prudent move. We are a 6-9 win team with the guys we traded away today. Why?

We don't have a good enough QB. And how do most teams find their franchise signal caller?

High in the 1st round. And how can you get high in the draft?

Having a lot of draft capital.

The Bills now have a ton of draft capital.

Here's to turning it into Josh Rosen.

After hours to cool down, I've come around to understand the moves, and lean slightly towards approving. Darby? OK.... Sammy? That's tougher but they weren't going to pay him....so get something for a one year rental.

On the record:

I think it's the smart, prudent move. We are a 6-9 win team with the guys we traded away today. Why?

We don't have a good enough QB. And how do most teams find their franchise signal caller?

Think the Jets are going to trade away their first overall pick? To us?

On the record:

Again, with the Darby trade we already had:

2 first round picks.

Our 2nd round pick.

2 Thrid round picks.

All next year. Sammy trade adds NOTHING to the ammo to get a QB because we already had MORE than enough ammo to trade to get a top QB prospect, IF we need to. And I don't care about anyones opinion on TT, there is still potential for him to elevate his game this year. Doesn't mean he will, but until he shows he can't, we don't truly know if we need to go big on a draft QB next regardless of your personal opinion.

But even if we do, we had PLETNY of ammo without trading Sammy to do so. So people need to stop pointing to some trade in a draft a year away as validation for the Sammy trade, because we already had the assets to make it happen in the first place.