THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Here We Go!

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review by Shaw66

Here We Go! 2017 Preseason Opener

Every few years the Bills first game in preseason falls on the evening of my wedding anniversary. Some readers will remember that a few years ago, when CJ Spiller was a rookie, it was one of those years. I ran a little contest, asking fans to write a letter to my wife explaining why, although we were on vacation and the game was the night of our anniversary, she ought to agree to watching the game in a sports bar. We had a lot of fun with it. And I saw the game!

This year is one of those years. But for my anniversary, Id be sitting beside my computer listening to the radio broadcast of the game (no TV coverage here or on anyplace around here, so far as I know). So I wont see the game. I might catch some of the fourth quarter, but even that is unlikely.

So Ill be limited in my knowledge of what happened in the game to what I can read on line, from people paid to write about the Bills and from fans who actually know what theyre talking about.

I began to wonder what it is that I want those reports to say to make me satisfied. There are some news reports of what McDermott and Dennison have said. They said they want to see execution, efficiency in calling plays and getting to the line, stuff like that.

That stuff is what coaches think about, because theyre into the details. Their job is to build a team, and its built one step at a time. Theyre building foundation first and going on from there. So they want to see the basics.

I realized thats not what Im looking for, and thats not what the fans are looking for. Weve been waiting a long time, and we want out team to be good, NOW. We have the luxury of not worrying about the basics. Our job is to make noise, and its only fun to make noise when the team is good.

So what do I want to see when I start reading about the game ? Simple. I want to see that on one or both of the possessions that the first-team offense has, the Bills ran a seven or eight play drive for a touchdown. I want to see 10 points, minimum, on those possessions. And I want to see a punt or a takeaway on the defenses first possession.

I know, those are high expectations, but thats what fans of good teams see, and I want the Bills to be good. I want more than a good foundation; I want to see that the whole damn building is good.

When you read this time of year about the Patriots or the Steelers or the Packers or the Seahawks, you see thats what those teams do. Brady ran two series, was 6 for 9 for 107 yards and a TD, then he sat down. Ben, Aaron and Russell, same thing. I want some of that.

And I especially I want some of that from Taylor. Im sick of this bridge qb stuff. I dont want to hear about using two firsts and more next year to draft the next guy to pin our hopes to. I want Taylor to take his team up the field for a touchdown of 7 or 8 plays, with some well-executed pass plays thrown in there. A 45-yard TD run by McCoy wont do it for me, not in this game. I want Taylor to be good, and I want to see it now.

Too much to ask? I dont think so. If McDermott is going to be the answer, well see some magic on day one. Not perfection, but some magic.

Lets play some football! And for my sake, lets hope I get lucky tonight. After all, its my anniversary.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full days hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Shaw, really glad you're bringing the Rockpile Review to TBD. I was wondering if you'd still post those after games. For you non-BBMBers you're in for a treat, much like we were with Astro's training camp reports.

Enjoy your anniversary. I'll be at the game so I'll report back on what I see.

Shaw, really glad you're bringing the Rockpile Review to TBD. I was wondering if you'd still post those after games. For you non-BBMBers you're in for a treat, much like we were with Astro's training camp reports.

Enjoy your anniversary. I'll be at the game so I'll report back on what I see.

Good to know. We have a couple folks over here that do similar things and I enjoy reading all of them :)

Agreed. Expectations should be high.

To be fair, a new HC tends to make some mistakes in his first season, and it's his second season when he really has his feet on the ground.

But I think coaches either get it or don't get it, and even with the mistakes, a rookie head coach who gets it shows it from day one. So he can say what he wants, but efficiency and fundamentals without production isn't enough.

When they hired Rex I hoped he knew what he was doing (despite my fears). From day one the Bills were flat and inconsistent, and I knew we were in trouble.

To be fair, a new HC tends to make some mistakes in his first season, and it's his second season when he really has his feet on the ground.

But I think coaches either get it or don't get it, and even with the mistakes, a rookie head coach who gets it shows it from day one. So he can say what he wants, but efficiency and fundamentals without production isn't enough.

When they hired Rex I hoped he knew what he was doing (despite my fears). From day one the Bills were flat and inconsistent, and I knew we were in trouble.

Rochester has pulled up allot of data on this and the better HC's in the league get results fast. (within 2 seasons)

McD took on in my opinion a talented football team that needs direction.

Like you, I want to see results, and not a year or two down the line,

NOW...

no. I'll be out. Can't watch the game on my phone sitting in a restaurant.

Sure you can. Not sure Household 6 would like that and might not want to open that pandoras box for a preseason game lol.

Glad to be reading the Rockpile Review again though

Edited by MAJBobby

It's all relative.......after all, McD is following a clown of a head coach. IMO, we can't do any worse at the HC position. Whatever mistakes McD makes, I'm sure he won't come close to matching Rex's follies.

Good to know. We have a couple folks over here that do similar things and I enjoy reading all of them :)

Yeah Rockpile was a staple at bbmb, and very much appreciated. You guys will enjoy, as I always have. Thanks Shaw

no. I'll be out. Can't watch the game on my phone sitting in a restaurant.

The hell you cant!!!! You just might not get lucky :)

It doesn't make sense that the marriage occurred without this item prenegotiated.

Young and naive and, well, you know.

It's all relative.......after all, McD is following a clown of a head coach. IMO, we can't do any worse at the HC position. Whatever mistakes McD makes, I'm sure he won't come close to matching Rex's follies.

That's what I'd like to think. I think one of the smartest things I ever saw Rex say was a few weeks, responding to someone's prediction that the Bills would go 4-12. He said if the Bills have 4-12 talent, then he must have been one of the best coaches of all time.

I think Rex coached like his father, and coaching's gotten a lot more sophisticated since then. So I'd like to think that McD is one of the new breed, but we won't know for a few hours, a few weeks and a few months.

Always enjoy your perspective. I have fairly sanguine hopes for the new regime, but I'll be surprised if we aren't picking qb in the first next year.

Fine with me if Taylor works out, but I am skeptical. Anyway, at least there is never a conflict between the anniversary and a game that really means anything.

Then we'd find out if you have your priorities right :lol: