A Google employee's anonymous rant on diversity and bias

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want the bias that is google simply look at news.google.com

then simply go to foxnews, drudge, msnbc and cnn and compare the top 5 stories for the world, nation and area.

every single google news story is as left as possible

‘We Support Free Speech, But . . .’
by Jason Richwine

In his post on Google’s diversity dust-up, Robert highlighted this quote from the company’s VP for Diversity:

Part of building an open, inclusive environment means fostering a culture in which those with alternative views, including different political views, feel safe sharing their opinions. But that discourse needs to work alongside the principles of equal employment found in our Code of Conduct, policies, and anti-discrimination laws [bold added in this quote and all the rest].

Notice the but. There is almost always a but or however or some other qualifier in these kinds of statements. The censors start by praising free and open discussion, then clarify that they do not support free and open discussion. The formulation has become so popular that a different Google VP used it in his own statement:

Questioning our assumptions and sharing different perspectives is an important part of our culture, and we want to continue fostering an environment where it’s safe to engage in challenging conversations in a thoughtful way. But . . .

It rarely matters what comes after the but, since it will just be some form of special pleading — “but this speech is harmful,” “but this speech is intimidating,” “but this speech is wrong,” etc. In fact, once you see the qualifier, you can usually complete the rest of the sentence on your own. Remember when Charles Murray faced violent protesters at Middlebury College earlier this year? A letter signed by 450 alumni explained why he never should have been allowed to visit:

We think it is necessary to allow a diverse range of perspectives to be voiced at Middlebury. In college, we learned through thoughtful, compassionate and often difficult discussions inside the classroom and out — conversations in which our beliefs were questioned and our assumptions challenged. We fully support the core liberal arts principle that contact with other intellectual viewpoints and life experiences than one’s own is integral to a beneficial education. However . . .

This is how the faculty of the Africana Studies department at Virginia Tech denounced Murray’s presence on their campus:

Academic freedom is a crucial value within any university. Indeed, given the critical nature of Africana Studies as a field, we are especially invested in upholding it as a core tenet. However . . .

During the 2016 election season, the mayor of West Hollywood declared that Donald Trump is not welcome to campaign in his city. When asked for specifics, the mayor responded:

As a city we have historically welcomed campaigns on both sides of the aisle to come to West Hollywood. Again, we’re not trying to shut down anyone’s speech. But . . .

(More examples at the link)

At the heart of all of these statements is the Orwellian notion that censors can be free-speech advocates. That’s why Mozilla gave this cryptic justification for firing Brendan Eich over his opposition to same-sex marriage:

Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech. Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard.

It’s also the stated reason that NYU’s medical school disinvited James Watson from giving a lecture:

At NYU, we have a strong commitment to equality as well as freedom of speech, and the right balance between these is not always easy to determine. While we may have differences of opinion, we also have tolerance.

It would be more accurate and honest for these organizations to simply declare, “We do not believe in free speech, period.” So why don’t they? Well, they strongly support accuracy and honesty, but . . .

:lol:

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

Edited by B-Man

It really isn't. Anyone who posts ANYTHING online about a current employer is an idiot.

0 chance that person doesn't get fired at Google or anywhere else (non union and non government) for writing this and disseminating it to fellow employees on company time and resources.

I think he made stronger points calling out the ridiculousness of gender and race restrictive programs in order to enhance gender and race inclusion and diversity. Probably should have left a lot of the gender generalizations out unless backing them up with solid studies. That's just low hanging fruit for someone to argue and dismiss your entire point.

It really isn't. Anyone who posts ANYTHING online about a current employer is an idiot.

i'm sure if the person wrote they need to hire more women, muslims, midgets, ogres and trannies he would have been revered.

but, because he spoke openly he is fired

google is a piece of **** company.

Waaaa! Waaaaah!

I can't tell the Deplorables from the Snowflakes in this thread. They all sound the same. Oh wait, they are the same.

Nut up people!

How do you make it through a day without bouncing off a wall?

I've always been a big fan of google. Use their apps, use chrome, etc. A nice alternative to the Apple behemoth.

That said, their dumpster fire response to this makes me want to delete anything and everything associated with their garbage company and never, ever use anything with the "g" word in it ever again.

Two phrases knock it out of the park for me:

CEO Sundar Pichai - we strongly support the right of Googlers to express themselves,

VP of Diversity - it advanced incorrect assumptions about gender.

I hate the hypocrisy of the left. All opinions and views are equal, but some are more equal than others. SMH.

Edited by Philly McButterpants

I've always been a big fan of google. Use their apps, use chrome, etc. A nice alternative to the Apple behemoth.

That said, their dumpster fire response to this makes me want to delete anything and everything associated with their garbage company and never, ever use anything with the "g" word in it ever again.

Two phrases knock it out of the park for me:

CEO Sundar Pichai - we strongly support the right of Googlers to express themselves,

VP of Diversity - it advanced incorrect assumptions about gender.

I hate the hypocrisy of the left. All opinions and views are equal, but some are more equal than others. SMH.

They support diversity of everything but opinions

They support diversity of everything but opinions

It's like the First. You can say anything, but you may not say everything.

Same here. He has a right to his opinion and a right to express it. His employer has a right to deem it wrong, destructive and can his arse if he violates their code of conduct.

Like this board, it has a ToS. Google as an employer has a code of conduct. I can come here and say anything I want, but if I say certain things, opinions, I'd expect to be banned if it did not honor the ToS.

Freedom is not a free for all. Why is this so hard to understand? Oh, because the shoe is on the other foot now. Hypocrites. Now, the Right wants a free for all. The Righties are sure acting like a bunch of butt hurt Snowflakes.

Google Fires Employee Who Dared Challenge its Ideological Echo Chamber
Lena Dunham and Google Demonstrate Why Our Free Speech Culture Is Slipping Away
Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450240/lena-dunham-google-demonstrate-eroding-free-speech-culture

Nailed (virtually) to the front door of the Church of PC.

It's like the First. You can say anything, but you may not say everything.

Same here. He has a right to his opinion and a right to express it. His employer has a right to deem it wrong, destructive and can his arse if he violates their code of conduct.

Like this board, it has a ToS. Google as an employer has a code of conduct. I can come here and say anything I want, but if I say certain things, opinions, I'd expect to be banned if it did not honor the ToS.

Freedom is not a free for all. Why is this so hard to understand? Oh, because the shoe is on the other foot now. Hypocrites. Now, the Right wants a free for all. The Righties are sure acting like a bunch of butt hurt Snowflakes.

Oh good! So we can blacklist BLM members now and not be accused of racism?

:D