The Buffalo news has new Bills columnists (Peace out, Kmart)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the need for any backstory intrigue here.

The Washington Post is to the Buffalo News as the New England Patriots are to the Buffalo Bills.

She took the job at The Washington Post because she got a job at The Washington Post, and that is all the explaining we should need.

I was going to suggest the same. Probably a simple case of bolting for a bigger/better opportunity.

Still, not a cool thing for Kimberly to do. Hopefully she won't be looking for work anytime soon. As a potential employer I would look unfavorably on that move.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I was going to suggest the same. Probably a simple case of bolting for a bigger/better opportunity.

Still, not a cool thing for Kimberly to do. Hopefully she won't be looking for work anytime soon. As a potential employer I would look unfavorably on that move.

Really? You would hold it against someone that they left the Buffalo News for the Washington Post?

Well he's not wrong. The Washington Post should've thought twice when they offered a job to somebody who would leave their old job to work at the Washington Post.

Huge red flag.

LOL. You are both nuts. There is no local newspaper editor in the world that would look down upon such a move from a local paper to one of the biggest papers in the world.

Really? You would hold it against someone that they left the Buffalo News for the Washington Post?

If she left one job for another within a few months? Yeah, that's a red flag to explore.

The only way it would look ok to the employer is if she was in line for the WP job before the News, and somehow didn't get it. Noe that WP opened up again, she jumped on it.

Anything else looks bad.

LOL. You are both nuts. There is no local newspaper editor in the world that would look down upon such a move from a local paper to one of the biggest papers in the world.

It's the equivalent of someone giving you a Hynduai Sonata and then 2 months later someone else offers you a Bentley. No one would look down on you if you started driving the Bentley instead. That's what any reasonable person would do. They certainly wouldn't say, "I don't need that Bentley I just got a new Sonata."

If she left one job for another within a few months? Yeah, that's a red flag to explore.

The only way it would look ok to the employer is if she was in line for the WP job before the News, and somehow didn't get it. Noe that WP opened up again, she jumped on it.

Anything else looks bad.

Not in the media business, whenever an opportunity to get to the top arises you jump. Your pay and job security are directly tied to your exposure. It isn't even a hesitation. Every single media member in the world would make that move.

It's the equivalent of someone giving you a Hynduai Sonata and then 2 months later someone else offers you a Bentley. No one would look down on you if you started driving the Bentley instead. That's what any reasonable person would do. They certainly wouldn't say, "I don't need that Bentley I just got a new Sonata."

Not in the media business, whenever an opportunity to get to the top arises you jump. Your pay and job security are directly tied to your exposure. It isn't even a hesitation. Every single media member in the world would make that move.

Sheesh, I gotta work on the sarcasm.

The joke was that the Washington Post didn't care at all that she was leaving the news for another job. If they cared, they wouldn't have offered her a job.

Edited by jmc12290

Your response is from the employee's standpoint, while Promo offered the employer's opinion.

Nobody is arguing that she made the best move for her. But as the next employer, you definitely question her dedication.

Ha ha, I can't tell. Some people actually think that it is a red flag.

the nice part about writing for the post is that most of the time no one even knows you wrote it, or read it for that matter. The post is like a novel vs tbn reading like a child's book.

Unless you look for someone writings, they tend to get lost.

Edited by The Wiz

Your response is from the employee's standpoint, while Promo offered the employer's opinion.

Nobody is arguing that she made the best move for her. But as the next employer, you definitely question her dedication.

Not really because, presumably, her next employer is the next rung on the ladder. That's the way that business works. People move around for better opportunities all of the time.

Not really because, presumably, her next employer is the next rung on the ladder. That's the way that business works. People move around for better opportunities all of the time.

They do, but not every two months.

Again, look at it from Josh's standpoint, he spent months recruiting her, hired her, had a coverage plan laid out for the season, and poof, she's now gone. Now the assigned work is parceled out among the other reporters and columnists and they have to re juggle their assignments.

That's why Promo said, she hopefully isn't looking for work soon, because that employer will certainly question the quick change of jobs, and wondering in the back of his mind if she's a quick flight risk. We always consider that in our hiring decisions. Why invest time and resources into somebody who'll be gone in less than a year?

That's what I think. The next employer is going to be a sports journalist, too. That person is going to think of course Kim is going to take that job. He or she is thinking, "I would have." It doesn't show much disloyalty.

GG gets the point I was making. Kimberly made a great move going to the WaPo but if she blew off the Buffalo News after two months it would look bad to her next potential mid-sized employer. If something went wrong at the WaPo (layoffs, whatever) and she applied to, say, the Rochester D&C, any hiring manager would question her commitment if she bolted for greener pastures after 2 months. Why wouldn't she do it again? At least Ty Dunne put in a year.

They do, but not every two months.

Again, look at it from Josh's standpoint, he spent months recruiting her, hired her, had a coverage plan laid out for the season, and poof, she's now gone. Now the assigned work is parceled out among the other reporters and columnists and they have to re juggle their assignments.

That's why Promo said, she hopefully isn't looking for work soon, because that employer will certainly question the quick change of jobs, and wondering in the back of his mind if she's a quick flight risk. We always consider that in our hiring decisions. Why invest time and resources into somebody who'll be gone in less than a year?

It's a different business though. I've hired 50+ people and certainly look at how long they stayed at previous jobs. Journalism, especially in 2017, is a completely different animal. You may only get one chance at a Washington Post job. You don't wait for that to come around again. No one in media will look unfavorably upon someone that makes that move. They understand. That's the nature of the business. I used to date a girl that is a new anchor and I think that she said that you work 5-7 markets before getting where you want to be usually. She started fairly small and was fortunate to jump to a top 30 market by stop 3. Her next move won't be back to market 96.

GG gets the point I was making. Kimberly made a great move going to the WaPo but if she blew off the Buffalo News after two months it would look bad to her next potential mid-sized employer. If something went wrong at the WaPo (layoffs, whatever) and she applied to, say, the Rochester D&C, any hiring manager would question her commitment if she bolted for greener pastures after 2 months. Why wouldn't she do it again? At least Ty Dunne put in a year.

I got the point but that isn't happening. The Rochester D&C is falling over themselves to pick up a "Washington Post Columnist." That raises their profile. In addition, they all work in that business and understand the way that it works. Edited by Kirby Jackson