The Buffalo news has new Bills columnists (Peace out, Kmart)

I was going to suggest the same. Probably a simple case of bolting for a bigger/better opportunity.

Still, not a cool thing for Kimberly to do. Hopefully she won't be looking for work anytime soon. As a potential employer I would look unfavorably on that move.

Are you kidding!!

The Washington Post is one of the 3-4 best newspapers in the country. It's a real coup for her to get a gig there so early in her career. Like winning the lottery for a young journalism major.

Your response is from the employee's standpoint, while Promo offered the employer's opinion.

Nobody is arguing that she made the best move for her. But as the next employer, you definitely question her dedication.

No way. I work for the 20th largest firm in my industry. There's no way we'd look down on someone who got an offer 3 months after they joined us from a top-3 firm with more pay (its Washington, so that's a given) and more opportunity.

Any good employer knows that you can't get a rep for holding down talent and still expect to attract anyone good to work for you. The same thing with teams and their desirability with FAs.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is, was she the best reporter for the job or the best "candidate" for a highly visible position. The media is an institution that takes its image seriously, like lots of institutions that are highly visible. And the move now among public image concerned companies is to attempt to align the demographics of their companies with their market. So I am going to say she was the best candidate, meaning had the combination of requisite writing and interviewing skills and is a minority female. I am not saying she sucks but slay away. But how many reporters that young make the Washington Post? I work for the type of institution that makes these types of hires, one that works hard and explicitly to achieve a workforce that demographically mirrors its market. I have been in meetings where this question has been asked "Does anyone know a minority candidate?" I know a woman who was hired by a major politician who told her, which an advanced degree, "I need a hispanic female in my office." Not "I need these skills and you posses them." If the Washington Post was hiring a reporter, I find it very hard to believe in the universe of reporters it could have reached out to (she didn't apply, the called her, bet my life on it), she was the best reporter available. But she likely was the one that best fit for demographic criteria editors sought. Don't be annoyed with me for saying how the world works, be annoyed at the rules of the game.

The question is, was she the best reporter for the job or the best "candidate" for a highly visible position. The media is an institution that takes its image seriously, like lots of institutions that are highly visible. And the move now among public image concerned companies is to attempt to align the demographics of their companies with their market. So I am going to say she was the best candidate, meaning had the combination of requisite writing and interviewing skills and is a minority female. I am not saying she sucks but slay away. But how many reporters that young make the Washington Post? I work for the type of institution that makes these types of hires, one that works hard and explicitly to achieve a workforce that demographically mirrors its market. I have been in meetings where this question has been asked "Does anyone know a minority candidate?" I know a woman who was hired by a major politician who told her, which an advanced degree, "I need a hispanic female in my office." Not "I need these skills and you posses them." If the Washington Post was hiring a reporter, I find it very hard to believe in the universe of reporters it could have reached out to (she didn't apply, the called her, bet my life on it), she was the best reporter available. But she likely was the one that best fit for demographic criteria editors sought. Don't be annoyed with me for saying how the world works, be annoyed at the rules of the game.

And I suppose you don't find those kind of questions racist.

They are.

Your response is from the employee's standpoint, while Promo offered the employer's opinion.

Nobody is arguing that she made the best move for her. But as the next employer, you definitely question her dedication.

This is 2017. There is no such thing as dedication. Not from the employer or the employee. This is what we've become.

As soon as one gets the next gig, they start looking for something better. And as soon as a company hires a rock star, they start looking for a bigger rock star.

Two months is quick. But that means we can chalk one up for the little guy.

nah that's her twitter handle. What was her racist comment?

Kimberley Martin, formerly covered NY Jets for Newsday

@KMart_BN

For those who *haven't* heard the exciting news: I've accepted a sports columnist position at @TheBuffaloNews...

Definitely a more diverse reporter than they've had in the past (seemed like mostly all grumpy white males)

nah that's her twitter handle. What was her racist comment?

Kimberley Martin, formerly covered NY Jets for Newsday

@KMart_BN

For those who *haven't* heard the exciting news: I've accepted a sports columnist position at @TheBuffaloNews...

Definitely a more diverse reporter than they've had in the past (seemed like mostly all grumpy white males)

Im not sure about it but that doesnt really look like she said that line. The first line looks like someone else. The second line looks like her. The third like someone else.

Im not sure about it but that doesnt really look like she said that line. The first line looks like someone else. The second line looks like her. The third like someone else.

You might be right. If so, I'll apologize and give her a chance. And I'll just not like the person that wrote the sexist/racist comment.

Edited by reddogblitz

New blood is good. I hope she let's her own voice be heard and doesn't get dragged down by the lifers. I hope she sticks around longer than Ty Dunne.

What if her own opinion agrees with those guys??

I thought you meant Kelvin Martin, the true and original KMart.

With her racist/sexist/ageist comment, I already don't like her.

I believe that's YOLO that you don't like.

As a grumpy old white dude, I'll excuse your inability to decipher between the tweet and his own comments at the end. Technology can be tricky for y'all.

Edited by NoSaint

It definitely takes getting used to, and that takes a lot of time. I couldn't live anywhere else at this point, but I totally understand why people get burned out on it and leave.

And it takes some sacrifices.... it is the same with London. I moved here at 22 and for the first 4 or 5 years it was a struggle. You want to enjoy the city but you live hand to mouth month to month. But once you "make it" the big cities are absolutely the places to be and you can afford to enjoy them. Is it expensive? Sure. But it is basically an additional pension. My London property means I can retire 10 years earlier than friends who stayed up north. I'll be done by 58 they will be working until at least 68.

It's not really appropriate for me to comment on personnel issues generally, but let me say this.

We are sad to see Kimberley go and appreciate what she brought to our coverage over the last few months. The Washington Post was her dream destination when she decided she wanted to be in this business. They had an opening and called her. It was impossible to turn down. It's a wonderful opportunity for her and we know she will do a great job.

As for us, we already have talked to several potential candidates and will continue to examine what makes the most sense for the short term and the long term. We remain committed to providing the most comprehensive Bills coverage available.

Thanks, Josh