NFL Willing to Work with Players on MJ for Pain Management

@MarkMaske

NFL tells NFLPA it's willing to work cooperatively on research on marijuana as a pain-management tool for players... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/07/31/nfl-offers-to-work-with-players-union-to-study-marijuana-for-pain-management/

IRVINE, Calif. — The NFL has written to the NFL Players Association offering to work in tandem to study the potential use of marijuana as a pain management tool for players, according to people familiar with the situation.

It is the clearest indication to this point that the league may be willing to work cooperatively with the union toward such marijuana use, which is currently banned by the sport.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About freaking time. But it's also likely happening to distract from the NFL pulling funding from CTE research.

This was inevitably coming and everyone wants it. So it begins...

Especially overdue given the toxic combination of drugs administered to the players to keep them on the field.

Especially overdue given the toxic combination of drugs administered to the players to keep them on the field.

Exactly. They dole out narcotic pain mess like they're candy from what I've read. MJ is undebatably safer and less addictive.

Here's bits and pieces of the Saints story:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5153943

i wonder that never became a big thing. sounds like a pretty juicy story. lots of players get addicted to the pills given to them by the team. Brett Favre for instance. my wife was prescribed oxycodone after a surgery and after taking it for one day she couldnt believe how much her body needed it and how sick she felt if she didnt take it so she got scared and stopped completely. just imagine an NFL player taking it for weeks, months, even years to try and stay on the field.

I don't know how much info is out there on it but you should google the mess that the Saints had with the pain mess.

Here's bits and pieces of the Saints story:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5153943

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of that story. Makes you wonder about Payton, though. I don't know if he was supposedly taking those pills for himself or the players or someone else but I could see him being the type of guy that would pop pills...lol.

Did yo ever see this article about the pain pill abuse in the NFL? Bud Carpenter is quoted in it -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.5dc0930d106b

i wonder that never became a big thing. sounds like a pretty juicy story. lots of players get addicted to the pills given to them by the team. Brett Favre for instance. my wife was prescribed oxycodone after a surgery and after taking it for one day she couldnt believe how much her body needed it and how sick she felt if she didnt take it so she got scared and stopped completely. just imagine an NFL player taking it for weeks, months, even years to try and stay on the field.

Yeah, I had a good friend on that team and he said that it was way worse than this. They had bags of pills and Joe Vitt was functionally a drug dealer and Payton a pill head. There are lots of dirty stories about them around that time.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of that story. Makes you wonder about Payton, though. I don't know if he was supposedly taking those pills for himself or the players or someone else but I could see him being the type of guy that would pop pills...lol.

Did yo ever see this article about the pain pill abuse in the NFL? Bud Carpenter is quoted in it -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.5dc0930d106b

Payton also knocked up a cheerleader and that's why his family moved to Dallas.

I haven't seen that story but it's interesting. Thanks for sharing!!

Definitely should appeal....

Agreed and he's the PERFECT poster child for the NFL to hide behind. "After extensive research we've come to the conclusion that marijuana can be an effective pain management tool. We've had players, such as Seantrel Henderson argue that it's helped manage the pain that he suffers from Crohn's Disease. In lieu of this new information we will cease testing for marijuana and rescind outstanding discipline. We hope to continue working with the NFLPA to do what's best for the health of our players." Edited by Kirby Jackson