Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Week 2

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sal Capaccio 🏈 (@SalSports)

8/3/17, 8:54 AM

Something that concerns me: Every day in red zone work there seems to be one pass to a RB who is completely uncovered and walks in for a TD

Yep that is a MAJOR Concern.

Streeter Impressing

Sal Capaccio 🏈 (@SalSports)

8/3/17, 8:51 AM

Stop me if you've read this before. Rod Streater a couple nice catches for TDs (red zone 11 on 11). Continues to impress.

Edited by MAJBobby

@mikerodak

With heavy focus on red zone in 11-on-11 drills Thursday for Bills, Tyrod Taylor has performed generally well. He's thrown two touchdowns to TE Nick O'Leary and one to RB LeSean McCoy. Taylor scrambled for what likely would have been a touchdown (there's no live tackling) but was stopped short on another scramble near the goal line.

Joe Buscaglia (@JoeBuscaglia)

8/3/17, 9:14 AM

#FreeEddieYarbrough is now taking reps with 1st-team defense. He was with the third-team four days ago. He just keeps making plays #Bills

Joe Buscaglia (@JoeBuscaglia)

8/3/17, 9:14 AM

And on cue, Yarbrough bats down a Tyrod Taylor pass at the line of scrimmage. #Bills

Making a strong case for himself

Edited by MAJBobby

Why are so many people looking into who lines up where?

Brand new coaching staff, they are going to want to get as many looks as possible.

It's healthy to rotate guys to different roles and different amount of reps.

Boredom. Dissatisfaction with their own jobs. Gas.

I think I caught Kirwan yesterday predicting Peterman will be the clear #2 at some point this season.

Im JAG, but I had the same gut feeling about Peterman that I did Prescott last year. My posts about Dak were lost with the Great BBMB Purge, but I had a feeling he would be pretty good.

Of course, our team is nowhere near Dallas, so who knows if he would have done well here.

Caught some of the coverage on Sirius. Some things I can recall

Kirwin:

Noted lack of depth. Said wasn't sold on TE2, concern on swing tackle as well. Didn't seem blown away by Bills overall talent - "Bills won't be winning the SB this year", will def need to pick up people after cuts etc.

Raved about Vallejo of all people - said was always in the picture around the ball - fast first step

Said Ragland didnt look 100% to him (McD and Alexander comments about Ragland were also more in the vein of "he's getting there, it's going to take time")

Alexander:

Said he worked with Randall Cobb in the offseason to work on his coverage skills in the new scheme

There was some thing I missed that they kept bringing up about the team does a thing where different players share their "stories" in front of the team as bonding exercise- that it had strong effect on some players

Their final thoughts:

Won't be Rome built in a day, but all phases should be improved with more attention to detail

10 coaches with more than 10 yrs experience - McD should benefit

Like that they had players out on field in live action without coaches (players need to learn to do it on their own)

Weak in depth at safety esp - should be looking for safety now

Didn't seem very optimistic about being a playoff team

Not done building expect more moves to be made

Tyrod is a "leader of men" (Kirwin said reminded him of R Wilson in that respect) - needs to make it happen on the field

Thanks for sharing!

the piece about the life stories:

@jeremyWGR

TreDavious White says McDermott has one player go before the team each day to tell of his life/story. Says guys really open up.

Could see that it resonates with the #Bills rookie, and that the team-building exercise is one that helps players understand each other.

This is pretty cool. I really like McDermott's overall approach so far. This is by far the most hopeful I have been about a coaching staff in a long, long time. I don't expect it to happen overnight, but I think we might have the right guy for the job this time.

I was just a little skeptical about them seeming so focused on "character" players. It gave me flashbacks to Chan Gailey and trading away talent. But seeing how their draft picks - Zay Jones, Tre White, Doin Dawkins, even Matt Milano - as well as other players they've brought in have performed so far, and what type of people they are, how team first oriented they seem, I'm starting to like the "character" approach much more.

I'm also hopeful that these drafted players aren't they type that will want to run away from Buffalo the first chance they get. I obviously don't know for sure, but they seem like maybe they could be more like Kyle Williams types to me, who become very dedicated to the team and fans and city. I think that's important in a place like Buffalo.

McDermott seems to have a good handle on how to build a true team, and has a very clear vision on how to accomplish that. He seems like a true leader, and I'm not sure when the Bills have really had that in recent history...

I was very excited when we hired SM, I've been a fan of his since 2013. But he's actually been even better than I expected so far. Obviously the games are what matters, but I'm definitely a lot more hopeful than I was with Rex, Marrone, Chan etc.

I just hope McD is given some time to turn this around. I'm really sick of the coaching carousel.

Top 3 things to know from Day 7 at Bills Camp

top-3-things-story.jpg

The offense had more success moving the ball Thursday in a 'play it out' drive segment where the gains on the plays determined if the drive continued.

Bills Training Camp 2017: Day 7
tempshady--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=

Check out photos from the seventh practice of 2017 Bills Training Camp, presented by Connors & Ferris.