Could Ragland be surprise cut of 2017?

Losing a few mil in cap space is hardly a financially irresponsible decision, especially if there are better players who you can keep ahead of him.

Teams all across the NFL are going to cut players who cost them cap space in the coming weeks. That's life in the NFL.

we took him high last year, and he looked phenomenal before the knee. He won't be cut. We need depth everywhere.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he had one nice play where he flowed across the line to the backfield and TFL. < POSITIVE >

Got beat to the edge at least once. <SPECIFIC TO ONE PLAY>

Looked ok in coverage <POSTIVE>

Slipped on another run up the middle and recovered for a tackle but after the first down. <SPECIFIC TO ONE PLAY>

Two decent gains allowed where it looked like he was supposed be they guy there for the stop.<SPECIFIC TO TWO PLAYS>

This was against the bottom of the opposing 90. < GENERALIZING >

He has a looooong way to go.

i dont recall the person he was covering getting a single catch, basically you are saying anytime minnesota gained some yards and he was on the field it was his fault

Pbomb- I commented on specifically 4 plays. And stated I thought he did well in coverage and had a tackle for a loss. The mistakes against inferior pedigreed players indicate he's got a long way to go, as his coach and D.C. Have confirmed.

Is there a chance you were meaning to respond to another post?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Losing a few mil in cap space is hardly a financially irresponsible decision, especially if there are better players who you can keep ahead of him.

Teams all across the NFL are going to cut players who cost them cap space in the coming weeks. That's life in the NFL.

Yeah - we have 3 expiring contracts, and a really solid out for lorax should we want to upgrade the SAM spot. Cutting ragland now would leave us with 2 2017 rookies as the only LBs on the 2018 roster.

Again, backup linebackers MUST provide value on special teams, and Ragland is useless in that area.

You don't keep backup linebackers who can't play special teams.

No they MUST Not. You have ST players enough and your starting SAM will still play teams. So you can get away with having your BU SAM not play teams

Last year McDermott Defense Started the season with 8 LBers so lets play the numbers game.

1 - Lorax - Plays Teams (Shouldn't Anymore)

2- Brown

3 - Humber

4 - Hodges - Plays Teams

5 - Vallejo - Plays Teams

6 - Milano - Plays Teams

7- Who (It will be Ragland) You are not picking the likes of Abner Logan, Carl Bradford, Jacob Lindsey, or Sam Barrington over a 2nd round pick coming off INJ that cost more to cut then keep.

8- And look at this. Who else stays but I bet it is the best ST player

So How many LBers have to contribute to Teams again?

Last year McDermott Defense Started the season with 8 LBers so lets play the numbers game.

1 - Lorax - Plays Teams (Shouldn't Anymore)

2- Brown

3 - Humber

4 - Hodges - Plays Teams

5 - Vallejo - Plays Teams

6 - Milano - Plays Teams

7- Who (It will be Ragland) You are not picking the likes of Abner Logan, Carl Bradford, Jacob Lindsey, or Sam Barrington over a 2nd round pick coming off INJ that cost more to cut then keep.

8- And look at this. Who else stays but I bet it is the best ST player

So How many LBers have to contribute to Teams again?

Not to mention - he can still be on the 53 and not dress for gamedays. That allows him to continue to practice.

He looked phenomenal.

To Rex.

Can we please, please, please stop this revisionism. Maybe you have a point against Ragland, but this one is not it. He was not simply a Rex guy, nor was he even anything remotely resembling a stretch. Maybe it's not you, but someone here has repeatedly talked about him as a 6th round talent. For crying out loud, there was not ONE mock draft that I saw that did not have him in the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/reggie-ragland

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016rragland.php

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-reggie-ragland-lb-alabama

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015/12/30/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-reggie-ragland/

Those were the first 4 scouting profiles that came up, pulling out a Buffalo blogger as that could be biased knowing he was a likely pick for us, and the worst one of the bunch points out in the first couple sentences that he could play in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

He might not make it (look at Aaron Curry for a higher pick LB who couldn't miss and did zero), and while it's unlikely, weird things are afoot and he may be a surprise cut. However, your repeated argument is just plainly not true.

Edited by thurst44

He won't be cut. In fact, just before OTA's it was said in an article that his coach( can't recall if it was Frazier or McD) said Reggie possessed All Pro DNA. If he doesn't start this year, so be it. But I'd have to believe that you develop that talent(or trade it), not cut it 2 months later. Because he was picked in the 2nd round doesn't mean nobody else wanted the SEC DPOY. Some people just don't get that. There is Zero advantage in cutting him at this point

• 2 weeks later...

Three snaps against the Ravens. What a waste of a second round draft pick and two fourth rounders. Dam you Rex and Whaley

Bro....you might have called the biggest surprise of the 2017 cuts. I probably made fun of you when you first created this and even if he's not cut....you were still close. McDermott said yesterday that Ragland is fighting for a roster spot. Apologies on my end.