The Tyrod Taylor Question

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. He scrambles very well.

Like that scramble for eight yards against Seattle on the final drive. 1:15 left in the game, down by six, first down at the Seattle 23. He has a guy absolutely wide open in the deep middle, uncovered in the end zone and simply doesn't see him. But yeah, he got an eight yard run out of it. That scramble wasn't nothing. But it sure wasn't the best option and we ended up losing the ball on downs.

But the play looks great if you just look at yards per scramble.

Holy crap!

Did you seriously just cherry pick like that? You could do that for any quarterback in the league. Not just unscrambles. You could pick a part completions they make and find completions they should've made for better yardage or touchdowns or first downs.

There are obviously some times or Taylor scrambled when he could've made the throw. But he gained 8 yards per scramble. He got a number of first downs on those scrambles. A good number of them on third down. He scored 4 touchdowns on scrambles. This whole game you're trying to play or yards on the ground or less meaningful than yards in the air even for a quarterback is just ridiculous.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

There is only one thing that counts in the nfl....wins

I can see people hoping that TT might blossom into a great qb, but

what i don't understand is the blind, adoring, love for a guy who hasn't

done anything yet.

I've never seen this before in the carousel of qbs over the last 17 in buf.

This whole TT love/hate argument IMHO got the old BB board closed.

It's very strange.

In 2015? I'd say anywhere from 11-16. Lean closer to 15.

I can engage in a conversation, we're just not likely to agree. Which is what I initially said. Do you read the posts responding to yours or just go into Red Alert Taylor mode?

I read your posts.

Funny, considering I have him write in your range just three spots above where you had him and yet your problem was with the fact that my range of a "reasonable person" is a little wider than yours.

Maybe tone is just completely lost over the Internet, but it sure seemed like you were being snarky one towards me when I said I could see a reasonable person putting him between 7-15.

I read your posts.

Funny, considering I have him write in your range just three spots above where you had him and yet your problem was with the fact that my range of a "reasonable person" is a little wider than yours.

Maybe tone is just completely lost over the Internet, but it sure seemed like you were being snarky one towards me when I said I could see a reasonable person putting him between 7-15.

I cannot see a reasonable person putting him at 7.

I read your posts.

Here's 15 in no particular order who are better than Tyrod:

Brady Big Ben Luck Rivers Carr Smith Manning Cousins Stafford Rodgers Ryan Newton Brees Winston

Wilson

He's in a tier with these guys:

Flacco Tannehill Dalton Mariota Wentz Prescott Bradford Palmer

Edited by dneveu

done anything yet.

Really? I don't see a huge amount of "blind, adoring love". What I see are people saying Taylor has (1) Played better than many want to give him credit for, and (2) Still has a lot of potential up-side. That hardly qualifies as swooning worship, does it? In fact, the most passion I see from his supporters is in their fighting the extreme views of the haters. There isn't any symmetry between the two sides : One sees the glass half-full while the other denies the existence of water or glass altogether.

That said, Taylor does seem a easy guy to root for. From an article on how he organized his own practices with his teammates :

"First of all, I didn't know we was going to do all that," Watkins said. "I'm just coming down thinking I'm finna have fun, be a receiver and run some routes. He called me, 'Hey be here at 10, be here at 9.' We would go out to the facility that he's working with. He's got a crazy guy that works out. He's got us out there freaking dying before we even get out there and pass. So I see what he's been doing. I've never seen a quarterback run as much as he does. Being in shape, taking care of his body, eating right, sleeping right. I mean that's the whole day. He's finding something to work on with his body to be prepared."

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/1/16073984/tyrod-taylor-hosted-buffalo-bills-receivers-for-workout-prior-to-training-camp-offseason

Edited by grb

Holy crap!

Did you seriously just cherry pick like that? You could do that for any quarterback in the league. Not just unscrambles. You could pick a part completions they make and find completions they should've made for better yardage or touchdowns or first downs.

There are obviously some times or Taylor scrambled when he could've made the throw. But he gained 8 yards per scramble. He got a number of first downs on those scrambles. A good number of them on third down. He scored 4 touchdowns on scrambles. This whole game you're trying to play or yards on the ground or less meaningful than yards in the air even for a quarterback is just ridiculous.

Is it really ridiculous when team's don't respect the pass? Do you think there's no correlation between his failure to win close games and his lack of passing ability?

I of course know how you will respond to this, but many others can see how passing ability is more valuable than a QB scramble.

It's a shame how you disregard all other thoughts if they don't align with your own.

You know what they say about a closed mind...

Brady Big Ben Luck Rivers Carr Smith Manning Cousins Stafford Rodgers Ryan Newton Brees Winston

Wilson

I would take every one of those guys over TT except Bradford and Smith(not a fan)

Wilson

Id definitely bump Mariota a tier.

There is only one thing that counts in the nfl....wins

done anything yet.

I've never seen this before in the carousel of qbs over the last 17 in buf.

This whole TT love/hate argument IMHO got the old BB board closed.

It's very strange.

define blind, adoring love Alby

I might of had that for my high school sweetheart but for a football player?

I know, speaking for myself, I support the team and their players, no love or hate, just support. but that's just me. I can not see where some could have, what is it, blind, adoring love?

smhp.gif

Wilson

I don't entirely disagree here, but I think you've mistaken the conversation a bit. Transplant was talking about how you'd rank the QB's 2015 season specifically.

In 2015, Luck played in 7 games and didn't look good; Ben played in 12 games, had a worse TD% and nearly triple the TO%; Carr had decent overall numbers on high volume, his YPA and Turnovers suffered because of it; Smith had fewer YPG, worse YPA, and scored fewer TDs and 1 more INT than Tyrod in 2 additional games; Ryan had 3 fewer TDs and 15 more TOs in 16 games, and a very similar YPA to Tyrod.

That's not to say Tyrod is a better QB right now than any of them (though I think he's better than Smith), but based on that year alone he produced better than some IMO.