The Tyrod Taylor Question

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Bills' fans want to see this.

@MatthewFairburn

Lynn said the same thing last year.

It's Taylor's biggest problem and I hope Dennison is right that this is something that can be developed. I'm not the most confident but I won't throw it out.

@MatthewFairburn

Buffalo Bills OC Rick Dennison wants QB Tyrod Taylor to throw with anticipation: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/08/buffalo_bills_oc_rick_dennison_wants_qb_tyrod_taylor_to_throw_with_anticipation.html

But the CoT says he already does.

I'm so confused

Lynn said the same thing last year.

It's Taylor's biggest problem and I hope Dennison is right that this is something that can be developed. I'm not the most confident but I won't throw it out.

Let me ask you this: What do you think coaches for the last six years were working with him on?

The chances of him developing this trait would mean that Dennison performs a miracle and uncovers something that leads to a breakthrough that Harbaugh and his super bowl winning staff couldn't, along with all the other coaching staffs and OC's. And FTR, Dennison has already worked with him, and TT still can't do what is a basic skill for a starting QB in the pro's.

As long as TT has weaknesses like this in his passing game, we will continue to see the same struggles in the pass game, and team's daring him to be a QB. The late game struggles will also remain.

This is really hard to hear from the OC, but not unexpected.

Edited by Crusher

I like that you bring this point up. I actually feel like the timing West Coast offense will work really well for Taylor. I think when he has A well defined and quick timing route before the ball is even snapped, it will only A well defined and quick timing route before the ball is even snapped, it will help him rather than hurt him. help him rather than hurt him.

Somewhere in this thread, another poster posted a link to a WGR interview of Cian Fahey talking specifically about Taylor for about 14 minutes. One of his points about the whole YAC thing was that Taylor threw the ball down the field a lot more than the majority of NFL QBs (7th highest Average Depth of Throw) and that, in general, any NFL QB throwing deeper throws will be less likely to get YAC out of those throws. And he also points out that Taylor's accuracy percentage (% of "catchable balls" vs "uncatchable balls") was still the ninth highest in the NFL (76.02%). In his catalog, he actually breaks down the accuracy of each QB in specific ranges: behind the LOS, 1 to 5 yards, 6 to 10 yards, 11 to 15 yards, 16 to 20 yards, 21+ yards. Two out of Taylor's three most accurate ranges were the parts of the field that I think will be the focus in the West Coast offense. He was the ninth most accurate quarterback in the 6 to 10 range. He was the eighth most accurate quarterback in the 11 to 15 range. As you might guess, the other category he ranked highly in was the 21+ range, where he was ninth.

I've brought this up before, but I really think you saw this when Lynn took over last year. Lots of plays designed even over the middle in that 6 to 15 range. To me, that's the bread-and-butter of the West Coast offense.

The general criticism that Taylor was the reason that the Bills were so poor in YAC because he doesn't put the ball in places where WRs can gain any extra yardage is questionable, at best.

A few months ago when this issue came up, I started with the plan to do the whole season, but after doing the first 3 games and realizing time was an issue (wish I had more of it), I decided to jump to what I thought was his worst 4 game stretch. What I did was just rewatch the completions for ball placement to see how many of his completions were poorly placed and left yardage on the field. This is more about ball placement than accuracy, something Fahey said he's not looking at as he's just looking for "catchable balls"... and yes, I think the 2 should be examined separately because accuracy would include all those incompletions. But there seems to be this general belief by some that Taylor's WRs were somehow always bailing him out and that Taylor is responsible for leaving yards on the field.

Well, in those 7 games (BALT, NYJ, ARI, CIN, JAX, OAK, PITT), Taylor completed 111 passes.

By my own eyes (feel free to doubt them and try this yourself :flirt:), only 7 of those passes were so poorly placed that they left potential yardage on the field.

1- A high pass to Clay on 3rd down in the Ravens game

2- A 3rd down pass to Woods in the Ravens game

3- A 2nd down pass to Goodwin in the Cardinals game

4- A 1st down pass that was low to a wide open Woods on the sideline in the Cardinals game

5- A 3rd down and 1 to Harvin in the Bengals game that was a little behind him... he was gonna get clobbered, anyway.

6- A 1st down pass to Clay that was a little behind him in the middle and really didn't have much chance for YAC... in fact, the chance for that YAC may have been to the middle, where the ball was thrown.

7- A 3rd down pass to Goodwin around the sideline that was a 1st down conversion, anyway

Good research!

I like that you bring this point up. I actually feel like the timing West Coast offense will work really well for Taylor. I think when he has A well defined and quick timing route before the ball is even snapped, it will only A well defined and quick timing route before the ball is even snapped, it will help him rather than hurt him. help him rather than hurt him.

Somewhere in this thread, another poster posted a link to a WGR interview of Cian Fahey talking specifically about Taylor for about 14 minutes. One of his points about the whole YAC thing was that Taylor threw the ball down the field a lot more than the majority of NFL QBs (7th highest Average Depth of Throw) and that, in general, any NFL QB throwing deeper throws will be less likely to get YAC out of those throws. And he also points out that Taylor's accuracy percentage (% of "catchable balls" vs "uncatchable balls") was still the ninth highest in the NFL (76.02%). In his catalog, he actually breaks down the accuracy of each QB in specific ranges: behind the LOS, 1 to 5 yards, 6 to 10 yards, 11 to 15 yards, 16 to 20 yards, 21+ yards. Two out of Taylor's three most accurate ranges were the parts of the field that I think will be the focus in the West Coast offense. He was the ninth most accurate quarterback in the 6 to 10 range. He was the eighth most accurate quarterback in the 11 to 15 range. As you might guess, the other category he ranked highly in was the 21+ range, where he was ninth.

I've brought this up before, but I really think you saw this when Lynn took over last year. Lots of plays designed even over the middle in that 6 to 15 range. To me, that's the bread-and-butter of the West Coast offense.

The general criticism that Taylor was the reason that the Bills were so poor in YAC because he doesn't put the ball in places where WRs can gain any extra yardage is questionable, at best.

A few months ago when this issue came up, I started with the plan to do the whole season, but after doing the first 3 games and realizing time was an issue (wish I had more of it), I decided to jump to what I thought was his worst 4 game stretch. What I did was just rewatch the completions for ball placement to see how many of his completions were poorly placed and left yardage on the field. This is more about ball placement than accuracy, something Fahey said he's not looking at as he's just looking for "catchable balls"... and yes, I think the 2 should be examined separately because accuracy would include all those incompletions. But there seems to be this general belief by some that Taylor's WRs were somehow always bailing him out and that Taylor is responsible for leaving yards on the field.

Well, in those 7 games (BALT, NYJ, ARI, CIN, JAX, OAK, PITT), Taylor completed 111 passes.

By my own eyes (feel free to doubt them and try this yourself :flirt:), only 7 of those passes were so poorly placed that they left potential yardage on the field.

1- A high pass to Clay on 3rd down in the Ravens game

2- A 3rd down pass to Woods in the Ravens game

3- A 2nd down pass to Goodwin in the Cardinals game

4- A 1st down pass that was low to a wide open Woods on the sideline in the Cardinals game

5- A 3rd down and 1 to Harvin in the Bengals game that was a little behind him... he was gonna get clobbered, anyway.

6- A 1st down pass to Clay that was a little behind him in the middle and really didn't have much chance for YAC... in fact, the chance for that YAC may have been to the middle, where the ball was thrown.

7- A 3rd down pass to Goodwin around the sideline that was a 1st down conversion, anyway

Ahhh Chris Fahey the top apologist for Tyrod accuracy and anticipation issues.

I don't think Dennison would have stated this to public if he didn't talk with Taylor first.

Looks like this might have motivated Taylor.

He wants to win, and will put in the time and effort to get there. Tyrod and Rico both have a lot of interest in showing this marriage will work.

I don't think Dennison would have stated this to public if he didn't talk with Taylor first.

Looks like this might have motivated Taylor.

I know we love the fact that Tyrod doesn't throw many interceptions but I'd happily live with more picks if it meant he was being more aggressive moving the ball and throwing more TDs.

Reminds me of EJ shushing the crowd.

Is there ANYONE on this board that didnt think this particular poster would have something negative to say about this?

I know we love the fact that Tyrod doesn't throw many interceptions but I'd happily live with more picks if it meant he was being more aggressive moving the ball and throwing more TDs.

bang I think that is happening......lets just see if everyone feels that way when it happens

But the CoT says he already does.

I'm so confused

See, this is why nobody takes you seriously. Most of those who support Taylor understand he needs to step up in certain areas....throwing with anticipation is one of them. There are other areas as well.

You, on the other hand, spew how bad Taylor is and don't stop to give him credit for the things he does do well.....ie. he has NOTHING to do with the running game.....that he NEVER throws over the middle.....that his low turnovers is only because coaches don't trust him.

An honest observer would have the ability to note his limitations (to this point) as well as the things he does do well. You call yourself a realist but that's simply not true. You don't like Taylor and you'll find any reason to spin his positives as the result of somebody/something other than Taylor doing a good job.

One thing I will compliment you on Crusher is your ability to take pathetic to a new level!! Well done sir, well done!

LMAO

@MatthewFairburn

Tyrod Taylor just went 6-for-7 for 70 yards including a 20-yard TD to Charles Clay in a two-minute drill. Tyrod yelled "write about that!"

Tyrod Taylor: Training Camp All-Star

Let me ask you this: What do you think coaches for the last six years were working with him on?

The chances of him developing this trait would mean that Dennison performs a miracle and uncovers something that leads to a breakthrough that Harbaugh and his super bowl winning staff couldn't, along with all the other coaching staffs and OC's. And FTR, Dennison has already worked with him, and TT still can't do what is a basic skill for a starting QB in the pro's.

As long as TT has weaknesses like this in his passing game, we will continue to see the same struggles in the pass game, and team's daring him to be a QB. The late game struggles will also remain.

This is really hard to hear from the OC, but not unexpected.

I can't wait for someone to cite training camp statistics as evidence he's turned a corner in now his 7th NFL training camp. Oh, wait.

It should be alarming the OC has said what he has. Amazing the Bills find QB's who think it's still college and there will be wide open receivers. Yet, when they're not the offense breaks down quickly.

Edited by BillsVet

@MatthewFairburn

Queue the replies

Dennison's a hater

Dennison's got an agenda

wait that last one is right. :flirt: