CTE in nearly 90 percent of football players

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thise parents always did.

you didnt grt his humor

I don't think they did, but we can agree to disagree. Not many kids if any played soccer in the 50's. If you don't think that many upper class suburban soccer players wouldn't have been football players in the past you are mistaken. Do you seriously think that a 1950's suburban parent would discourage their child from playing football? They had no reason to. Doctors smoked in exam rooms back then for crying out loud. No one regardless of class was worried about things being "dangerous". Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Knowing all the risks, I wouldn't trade my years of playing football for anything.

I don't have kids, if I did this would be a very hard decision. I agree with your statement, it taught me so many valuable lessons. It's really not a good time sport. I remember having to soak in ice baths in between two a days because my shin splints. All the times you have to push yourself past what you think you can. The team building. Football is very unique in character development for youth. I think it's worth the risk. Past high school, I don't know. College is pretty damn violent and most kids will never play pro ball.

Edited by KzooMike

Ruthlessbooger is such a great big dope, I'd think it's impossible to diagnose CTE in him anyway. He was probably born with it.

if you ever met him or talked to him, you can tell he is just an aloof guy who doesn't much engage people the ways others do.

but he has a very close personality.

met him twice in high school

@SInow

'He has no idea what dealing with someone who has CTE is like' — Ex-wife of CTE victim rips Jamal Adams' comments

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/01/cte-victim-criticizes-jamal-adams-remarks

The ex-wife of Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Justin Strzelczyk ripped comments made by New York Jets rookie safety Jamal Adams about CTE ​(chronic traumatic encephalopathy) and player safety.

Adams was asked about player safety during a forum with Jets fans on Monday and said, "Literally, if I had the perfect place to die, I'd die on the field."

Roger Goodell: Football players live longer than non-football players

“The average NFL player lives five years longer than you,” Goodell said. “So their lifespan is actually longer and healthier. And I think because of all the advancements, including the medical care, that number is going to even increase for them.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/01/roger-goodell-football-players-live-longer-than-non-football-players/

“The average NFL player lives five years longer than you,” Goodell said. “So their lifespan is actually longer and healthier. And I think because of all the advancements, including the medical care, that number is going to even increase for them.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/01/roger-goodell-football-players-live-longer-than-non-football-players/

Nice to hear that Rog, but there's quality of life to be considered in later years beyond longevity.

I would like to see their lifespan compared to others with the same income levels

@SInow

'He has no idea what dealing with someone who has CTE is like' Ex-wife of CTE victim rips Jamal Adams' comments

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/01/cte-victim-criticizes-jamal-adams-remarks

I completely understand where this guy's ex-wife is coming from. She has been through a lot. Being aware that her ex was diagnosed with CTE makes it natural to blame football. However, is there any concrete credible scientific evidence that can conclusively link CTE to criminal behavior? I'm tired of the media and fans drawing this conclusion concerning player behavior.

To be fair, this was a controlled study. They studied brains only from people who were thought to have symptoms of CTE and they found CTE. In general, it's a fair point that the quality of life of somebody that makes it to the NFL is better than that of an average person.

Concussions are a real issue in sports and you'll see changes, the biggest of which is you'll see kids going in later and finishing their careers earlier. Instead of in at a young age, it'll be flag football until high school, tackle in high school and college, and a shorter NFL career. That way kids are playing are playing close to 12 or 13 years instead of 20 or 25.

I suffered 10 concussions playing D1 ball and I know I suffer from CTE.

My life is fine and my Long term memory is great but my short term is shot... not to mention the ear ringing and fogginess

But I would never take back playing the game I love to the highest degree I could achieve

If my child wants to play, I'll let him but probably push him toward the QB position

My life is fine and my Long term memory is great but my short term is shot... not to mention the ear ringing and fogginess

But I would never take back playing the game I love to the highest degree I could achieve

If my child wants to play, I'll let him but probably push him toward the QB position

I wish you well. I hope you are doing some things to get better. I'll send you a PM on what's working for me.

Edited by CanadianFan

Damn, that sucks man. I've "seen stars" multiple times but never got a concussion that I'm aware of. The only major injury I had playing football was a fairly minor knee injury. I actually got hurt worse playing baseball, hockey, & running track (I blew out my hip).

As for qb, my high school qb got an awful concussion and it seems like a position that can suffer some major head injuries.

I don't have kids, if I did this would be a very hard decision. I agree with your statement, it taught me so many valuable lessons. It's really not a good time sport. I remember having to soak in ice baths in between two a days because my shin splints. All the times you have to push yourself past what you think you can. The team building. Football is very unique in character development for youth. I think it's worth the risk. Past high school, I don't know. College is pretty damn violent and most kids will never play pro ball.

Great post. Honestly, college football becomes a job and that sometimes is worse than the physical pain.

I think you have to let your kids choose themselves. As you said, football teaches/ reveals character. I see no point in pop warner football as a kid. Flag and 7-7 leagues are enough until high school.

Damn, that sucks man. I've "seen stars" multiple times but never got a concussion that I'm aware of. The only major injury I had playing football was a fairly minor knee injury. I actually got hurt worse playing baseball, hockey, & running track (I blew out my hip).

As for qb, my high school qb got an awful concussion and it seems like a position that can suffer some major head injuries.

Great post. Honestly, college football becomes a job and that sometimes is worse than the physical pain.

I think you have to let your kids choose themselves. As you said, football teaches/ reveals character. I see no point in pop warner football as a kid. Flag and 7-7 leagues are enough until high school.

Definitely. There isn't a safe position in football.

But as a CB and return man and occasional scat back I took a beating. Wouldn't want my kid being a RB.

Seen lots of blown out hips and injuries in track. Rough

Edited by Buffalo716

Kicker?

I've seen a kicker break his nose.

Break his leg

And been trucked

Hell of a lot safer than any other position but one day it will still be only you between the end zone and a sprinting Christian mccaffery or David Johnson lol