Do You Like Classical Music?

Azalin

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, a time with lots of fantastic music. Time and again, I would see references to classical pieces listed as influences in the songs I liked. The catalyst fir me was the soundtrack for the movie A Clockwork Orange, specifically the Molto Vivace segment of Beethoven's Ninth:

But many, many more gems were to follow.....

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, a time with lots of fantastic music. Time and again, I would see references to classical pieces listed as influences in the songs I liked. The catalyst fir me was the soundtrack for the movie A Clockwork Orange, specifically the Molto Vivace segment of Beethoven's Ninth:

But many, many more gems were to follow.....

I don't own any classical music but I appreciate well played music when I hear it. My kids are in the middle school range and play band instruments and while I much prefer jazz band there was a concert this year where I told wifey that I thought the orchestra was the most enjoyable.

Yes! We live in the Richmond VA area, and it's a radio wasteland. We have one FM station but it only does Classical at night. You have to put up with all the NPR crap during the day. Willaimsburg has a Classical station but you have to be on the E side of Richmond to get it. After dark most of the AM stations drop their signal strength so we can get the outside the area programs Even Sirius only has one station.

My mom was the biggest influence on me in appreciating classical music.

That could also be why "Fantasia" is my all-time favorite Disney movie.

There are many pieces I like, but I don't know if I could say who my favorite artist is.

Back in the 70's, my parents bought "120 Classical Masterpieces" which was great for finding unknown to me composers. I have always been partial to violins, so among my favorites are The Moldau and the Bartered Bride by Smetana. The entire composition of Peer Gynt by Grieg is real good. Tchaikovsky has quite a few popular works but my favorite would be "Marche Slave."

I consider the William Tell Overture the best piece of music ever written.

I haven't been on a Classical binge in quite a while. I think you just triggered one.

Also for those who watched TV in the 70's, here is a link to the commercial for "120 Classical Masterpieces." I think on early cable it ran once every 15 minutes.

As I have gotten older, the more I've enjoyed listening to it.

I've had more exposure to it due to things like Pandora, satellite radio and to a degree, movies.

I started listening to Claude Debussy more after Ocean's 11 used "Clair de Lune" and started listening more to Beethoven due to John McTiernan's use of his work in his Die Hard films (1 and 3).

Wow - that's impressive!

Back in the 70's, my parents bought "120 Classical Masterpieces" which was great for finding unknown to me composers. I have always been partial to violins, so among my favorites are The Moldau and the Bartered Bride by Smetana. The entire composition of Peer Gynt by Grieg is real good. Tchaikovsky has quite a few popular works but my favorite would be "Marche Slave."

I consider the William Tell Overture the best piece of music ever written.

I haven't been on a Classical binge in quite a while. I think you just triggered one.

Also for those who watched TV in the 70's, here is a link to the commercial for "120 Classical Masterpieces." I think on early cable it ran once every 15 minutes.

:lol: I remember that commercial! Can you imagine paying only $12.98 for all that nowadays? On 8-tracks too, no less.

I like what Banacek listened to.

I listen from time to time on satellite radio, but don't really know what's what. But iI know what I like.

not my go to choice, however i do appreciate how it is the backbone for much of the music we listen to everyday....just can't sit down and listen to it on its own

I think it's very pleasant in the background.

Yes. Baroque is my favorite era. Renaissance, medieval all good too. Went it morphed to romantic... not so much, still some real good stuff though. Give me some Vivaldi, Handel, Bach, Beethoven, Wagner.... Jethro Tull :rolleyes:

I have played in orchestras my whole life and so Have always listened to it.

What's your instrument? Do you still perform? By the way, I'm a big fan of the Russian composers too, but I break more toward Mussorgsky and Rachmaninoff.

Violin. I love both of those guys too!

I was playing in semi-professional orchestras for a while

And then we started having kids and I stopped. Was then just playing weddings and in church.

But I just started playing more at home, as I am teaching my 6-year old now and wanted to get my chips back.

Do you play anything?

I started out as a drummer in 4th grade. I was a band nerd, playing in the school bands and orchestras from grade 6 through 10 - mostly snare and timpani. I also started taking guitar lessons in 6th grade, taking two years of basic and classical styles before bailing on the training. I quit drums by 11th grade and kept playing guitar, so I've been at it for 49 years now. I don't play professionally, but I have performed a lot - Austin is full of musicians, and only a few manage to make a comfortable living at it. Professionally, I'm a tech for a massive telecom company, which basically means that I can play any kind of music I want.

:lol:

I can tell you that if I had it all to do over again, knowing what I know now I'd have learned the violin. I have a hell of a lot of respect for a competent violinist. For my tastes, it's the most beautiful instrument on Earth.

:beer:

I'm sure you're already aware of her, but here's another favorite of mine (both the soloist and the composer):

http://youtu.be/pwe-ST36KaM

My mom was the biggest influence on me in appreciating classical music.

Same here....my mother was Music Director at our church for 30+ years. I dig classical music and especially church classical music. Or Charlie Brown. Nothing says Christmas like the Charlie Brown Christmas CD. But Easter is the best; can't listen to this without chills:

One of my daughters is into classical too. When it's just the two of us she'll say "Daddy, let's play the music without any words!" :thumbsup:

Violin. I love both of those guys too!

I was playing in semi-professional orchestras for a while

And then we started having kids and I stopped. Was then just playing weddings and in church.

But I just started playing more at home, as I am teaching my 6-year old now and wanted to get my chips back.

Do you play anything?

JR, are you a fan of Vanessa Mae? I think she is amazing

For my money it's the Symphony for the New World.

When I saw Dvorak in your first post, I thought to myself that I really liked something that he did but I couldn't remember the name. It was the Symphony for the New World, so thanks for the reminder.

On your Chopin note, I agree, also very good. I use to be able to play Fantasie Imprompto and Polonaise by memory on the families Wurlitzer organ. Unfortunately, those brain cells are long gone. Also I

find it very difficult to play on a single modern keyboard when the Wurlitzer had an upper and a lower.

I like her. If you like her poppish sounding songs, you should check out the violin group Barrage. I saw them in PBS about 15 years ago and have a few of their CDs

And seem to put on an excellent show, yet are really good players.

Nice! I am a big Paganini fan, though there's not much I can play by him (at least, very well). I also like a lot of Sarasate's pieces for the violin-- first one played by Sarah Chang and I can play that one relatively well.

Some pieces you might like:

If you can manage to hang in there playing Zigeunerweisen, then you've got skills for sure! A big revelation for me was that I had no clue that Placido Domingo is a professional-grade conductor. Until now I only knew of him as a tenor.

Perlman always kills. The man is a freakin' machine.

Gil Shaham, as well. I had not heard of him until now - thanks!

Some advanced piano instruction and almost every noted symphony and string quartet and piano sonata in my memory.

Helps to plug in Bruckner's 8th when the meeting is going another hour and I haven't the slightest interest or participation in what will ensue.

I love classical music.

I actually have a playlist on Spotify of classical songs and was listening to it on my way home from work yesterday.

I did a project on Mozart in the 5th grade and I have loved it ever since.

Anyone who hasn't seen the movie "Amadeus" you are missing out.

Mozart, Handel, Bach, Haydn, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky are among some of my favorites

CBF

I like the big three: Mozart, Beethoven, and (J.S.) Bach.

As a student I liked music in the background while doing homework, but rock is foreground music, so I couldn't concentrate on the work. That's when I started listening to classical as "ambiance" music. Still do.

Of course, my first exposure to classical music was from Looney Tunes:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2o5y7d

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vbbh3

Same here....my mother was Music Director at our church for 30+ years. I dig classical music and especially church classical music. Or Charlie Brown. Nothing says Christmas like the Charlie Brown Christmas CD. But Easter is the best; can't listen to this without chills:

One of my daughters is into classical too. When it's just the two of us she'll say "Daddy, let's play the music without any words!" :thumbsup:

That's great.

I know it's not classical music, but I will be in Los Angeles to see John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl during Labor Day weekend. I've always loved his music, and seeing him conduct is such a special moment.

I like the big three: Mozart, Beethoven, and (J.S.) Bach.

As a student I liked music in the background while doing homework, but rock is foreground music, so I couldn't concentrate on the work. That's when I started listening to classical as "ambiance" music. Still do.

Of course, my first exposure to classical music was from Looney Tunes:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2o5y7d

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vbbh3

Those are true Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd classics.

I have to add "A Corny Concerto". Which was Warner Bros. parody to Disney's "Fantasia".

Then there's the nearly pantomime performance of Bugs Bunny in "Rhapsody Rabbit".

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n7vd9

Those are true Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd classics.

I have to add "A Corny Concerto". Which was Warner Bros. parody to Disney's "Fantasia".

Then there's the nearly pantomime performance of Bugs Bunny in "Rhapsody Rabbit".

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n7vd9

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Can't forget these:

Long-Haired Hare

Baton Bunny

Enjoy the JW concert, Toronto is cutting back on top notch performances.

Sorry to hear that.

This will be my third time seeing John Williams in concert. I will never forget the first time I saw him. The crowd was really into it, and the music and video highlights were spectacular. I know that he's had to cancel some performances not too long ago due to health issues, after all the man is in his 80's, so I just want to see him as often as I can.

Two decades ago, in my first year at work in Toronto I got to see Brendel perform twice at Roy Thompson Hall as part of his 6-concert complete cycle of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas. There is absolutely no way this is going to happen again in Toronto for this stature of a performer or venue.

Sorry to hear that.

This will be my third time seeing John Williams in concert. I will never forget the first time I saw him. The crowd was really into it, and the music and video highlights were spectacular. I know that he's had to cancel some performances not too long ago due to health issues, after all the man is in his 80's, so I just want to see him as often as I can.

It wouldn't be my dream concert, but I would certainly go to see this, with all the due-est respect possible...