Do You Like Classical Music?

Azalin

I like the work of many classical musicians. Vivaldi and Bach are favorites -- the baroque in general can be listened to in a variety of moods and settings. Henry Purcell lived a short, productive life. His short opera, Dido and Aeneas, is often pleasing even to folks who don't like opera. I like choral religious music such as Allegri's Miserere as well. Classical music, per se, is often associated with the big four -- Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, and Beethoven. It's kinda odd, because if one talks about classical literature or architecture, one is definitely talking about antiquity, but classical music is really early modern era through the Enlightenment and up through the Romantic era. Bruckner and Brahms are excellent. Twentieth century still has some interesting composers, though. I like Gustav Holst, Arvo Part, and John Tavener.

P.S. JR in Pittsburgh, you are a nice fella, but I don't understand despising Mozart unless you are related to Salieri . . .

Two decades ago, in my first year at work in Toronto I got to see Brendel perform twice at Roy Thompson Hall as part of his 6-concert complete cycle of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas. There is absolutely no way this is going to happen again in Toronto for this stature of a performer or venue.

It wouldn't be my dream concert, but I would certainly go to see this, with all the due-est respect possible...

Gee, how fortunate you were. That must have been amazing to see.

The crowd really gets into the JW concert, any of the big numbers from Star Wars start, hundreds of light sabers turn on. B-)

P.S. JR in Pittsburgh, you are a nice fella, but I don't understand despising Mozart unless you are related to Salieri . . .

Ha! I like some of Mozart's late stuff-- which is darker. Like his symphony No. 40. But most of his music sounds so trite and cute. Just not a fan of the "Classical" with a capital C era. I also don't really care for Haydn too much.

I like the work of many classical musicians. Vivaldi and Bach are favorites -- the baroque in general can be listened to in a variety of moods and settings. Henry Purcell lived a short, productive life. His short opera, Dido and Aeneas, is often pleasing even to folks who don't like opera. I like choral religious music such as Allegri's Miserere as well. Classical music, per se, is often associated with the big four -- Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, and Beethoven. It's kinda odd, because if one talks about classical literature or architecture, one is definitely talking about antiquity, but classical music is really early modern era through the Enlightenment and up through the Romantic era. Bruckner and Brahms are excellent. Twentieth century still has some interesting composers, though. I like Gustav Holst, Arvo Part, and John Tavener.

No love for Dvorak?

When I saw Dvorak in your first post, I thought to myself that I really liked something that he did but I couldn't remember the name. It was the Symphony for the New World, so thanks for the reminder.

On your Chopin note, I agree, also very good. I use to be able to play Fantasie Imprompto and Polonaise by memory on the families Wurlitzer organ. Unfortunately, those brain cells are long gone. Also I

find it very difficult to play on a single modern keyboard when the Wurlitzer had an upper and a lower.

His Slavonic dances are also quite good.

Enjoy the JW concert, Toronto is cutting back on top notch performances.

First of all to answer the original question, I love classical music. Sadly it can be quite difficult to find live performances of composers whom I like. This is why your comment caught my eye. I've noticed this with almost every city outside of NYC. Classical is one the form music that has survived every trend that has come and gone. Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly difficult for companies to profit with classical performances. Many well to do aging baby boomers prefer Lennon and McCartney to Bach and Brahms. Classical music will survive, but those who are traditionally its biggest supporters are dwindling imo.

Is there any sex in this music? Who can't get jiggy wit it, this.

The original one hit wonder: Canon in D

Totally baroque! Go big, go large, or don't do it at all! Go broke and baroque! Go Rubens and a little meat on the bones!

That is a beautiful piece.

First of all to answer the original question, I love classical music. Sadly it can be quite difficult to find live performances of composers whom I like. This is why your comment caught my eye. I've noticed this with almost every city outside of NYC. Classical is one the form music that has survived every trend that has come and gone. Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly difficult for companies to profit with classical performances. Many well to do aging baby boomers prefer Lennon and McCartney to Bach and Brahms. Classical music will survive, but those who are traditionally its biggest supporters are dwindling imo.

Yup.

A lot depends on music in the home growing up, one can also open up to cultural opportunities as they get older. Both were helpful in my interest in classical music.

[i guess my keen interest in psychedelic rock of the 1967 to approx. 1972 doesn't count for "classical???."]

It will carry on, youtube's incredible collection of practically anything I could ask for in classical has been helpful, only a few 20th century string quartets are not available there.

Ernst Krenek is a latest enthusiasm for his string quartets and other works.

Wagner is where it's at for me whenever I listen to classical music and that isn't all that often.

The new opera house in Toronto opened with The Ring in full cycle for 17 hours.

I grabbed a AA ticket for Siegfried, which meant hanging over the orchestra pit for the 5 hours of fun.

The Leafs and Sens were playing game 7 a few blocks down the road and at intermission i could hear the horns honking in celebration of the Leafs win.

I would have much enjoyed both events, probably the Leafs more...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So one night I'm at a string quartet recital and it's at a University, with folding chairs.

I'm on the right aisle and the guy beside me starts coughing out his lungs for 2 solid minutes, so I move out into the aisle to keep from catching TB.

The quartet was Schaeffer's 2nd or whatever, where the 3 smaller enter by the corners of the room and proceed to the stage to finish.

So I had to move back into the properly spaced situation or block the violist, fortunately I wasn't asleep and could do this for him.

Small thrills, but you take what you can.

Wow.

Edit: Holy cow! I just watched an hour of this babe slaying guitar. She is friggin amazing! I am in love! Heavy metal chicks are the craziest. I've been with several, but none who could actually play. Tina S is baaaad aaaas!

Oh, screw your classical music.

Bye.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE