Which non Super Bowl QB?

doug flutie. i still believe we would have won the titans game. perhaps i like the fairy tale idea that flutie wins us a super bowl. make a great story

Jim Kelly

I think Flutie is a good choice though John Madden once said : Pound for pound inch for inch there was/is no better QB.

Edited by JMF2006

doug flutie. i still believe we would have won the titans game. perhaps i like the fairy tale idea that flutie wins us a super bowl. make a great story

Not that I see him as the best as Marino was amazing, but agree Flutie could have won us that game and could have made it the the SB. We had the #1 defense and could have stopped the Rams.

I'm finding it odd that people are picking Kelly. He went 4 times with one of the most talented teams ever and didn't win. Other than, "he's our guy" why do we think that he would win Super Bowls?

I didn't pick him, but in his defense he played well against the Giants and those Cowboys teams were among the best and most complete teams of all time. There was no beating them. The only Super Bowl that I thought he played poorly in was against Washington.

Everyone here is picking Marino, with good justification, but he got embarrassed in his one Super Bowl trip so that's not everything.

I didn't pick him, but in his defense he played well against the Giants and those Cowboys teams were among the best and most complete teams of all time. There was no beating them. The only Super Bowl that I thought he played poorly in was against Washington.

Everyone here is picking Marino, with good justification, but he got embarrassed in his one Super Bowl trip so that's not everything.

Not that I want to say nice things about Marino but he did go in his 2nd season and threw for 320 yards in that Super Bowl. If he would have been on the Bills teams instead of Kelly they would have won AT LEAST 1. I know that's blasphemous around here but that Bills team was one of the most talented ever. Kelly had 4 swings with that talent and people think that he'd be he guy to give this team the best chance?!?

Not that I want to say nice things about Marino but he did go in his 2nd season and threw for 320 yards in that Super Bowl. If he would have been on the Bills teams instead of Kelly they would have won AT LEAST 1. I know that's blasphemous around here but that Bills team was one of the most talented ever. Kelly had 4 swings with that talent and people think that he'd be he guy to give this team the best chance?!?

You may be right. Maybe they would have blown out the Giants. They SHOULD have blow out the Giants with Kelly. And I doubt that Washington blitzes Marino like they did Kelly with that quick release of his. That could easily have been another win with Marino at the controls.

Edited by vincec

Marino

While I applaud the the attempt at a fun question, this question really only has one real answer and its Marino. Pretty hard to make a case for another non-SB winning QB that would be better than Marino. There are some guys reasonably close, but can't see an argument for anyone to actually beat him out IMO.

If you only look at who is currently playing right now then the answer is more compelling. I think the logical choice would be Ryan, but there are other guys who could make a case for themselves. My personal thing about Ryan is that the Falcons teams have chocked away seasons too many times, and before the SB collapse this past year which I feel the OC robbed that team more than Ryan not coming through. But too many times this team had a hot start to the season and still missed the playoffs or got into the playoffs and fell flat. Not all Ryan's fault by any means, but just have yet to see him lead a team that can close out the way they should. While I would probably still choose Ryan, I would have a temptation to look at a guy like Carr too who I am very high on and think is going to keep ascending into a top 5, possibly top 3 QB here over the next few seasons.

I'm finding it odd that people are picking Kelly. He went 4 times with one of the most talented teams ever and didn't win. Other than, "he's our guy" why do we think that he would win Super Bowls?

Very fair argument and why I feel the only true answer is Marino. I love Jim, don't get me wrong, but 4 times to the big dance with several hall of fame players and nothing I think kind of pushes him behind Marino who never played with anything close to the talent Jim got to play with on both sides of the ball. So by default I feel Marino gets an edge here who was both statistically a better QB in just about every category and never had anything close to a Reed or Thurman (in his prime, I know he played with broken down and washed up Thurman) to work with.

He has to be due for one, right?

Otto Graham.

All League: 9 of 10 seasons.

Got his team into the championship game 9 of 10 seasons. Won the AAFC championship game 4 times. Won the NFL championship 3 times. In other words, won the biggest championship game he could get his team into 7 of 10 seasons.

Still holds NFL record for most yards per attempt: 8.98.

Best career win percentage of any QB ever: .814.

Graham was a good runner and tough: he never missed a game.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Marino wasn't mobile, he would have been put out of the game permanently after 8 starts.

Bills perennial Swiss cheese sieve of an O-line is bad news, Kelly took a brutal beating out there and it took years off him.