McDermott on drought: "I own that.. I'm a part of that"

How much should the longest playoff drought in North American professional sports weigh on new Bills head coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane?

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/mcdermott-drought-i-own-thatim-part

"Yeah, that's an interesting dynamic," the first-year head coach said of the situation hes walking into. "I mean when you look at it, there's a lot of teams that have been through that just in recent history, the number of turnarounds that have been out there. You look at the Chicago Cubs, right? So there's history and then there is, 'OK, how do we handle it going forward?' And as a head coach I believe that the minute I was hired I own that, right? I'm a part of that. So to try and separate one's self from that I think is the wrong approach. That said, as a team going forward, we have to focus on what's immediately in front of us and the vision for the future. And so creating the right dynamic around the present team is important in terms of our focus, our mindset. And really we spend a lot of time talking about, I spend a lot of time thinking about, how we develop the right mindset with our football team. And that's for anywhere I've been, in particular in this case."

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Series of articles linked on the TBD home page from the Syracuse Post are also worth the read. This Matthew Fairburn guy does a pretty darn good job.

Really promising to me that Coach McD owns this...

He seems like the kinda of kid who sucked up to all his teachers. Who was the guy Ron Howard played before he became a director?

Sean, you will be solely judged on your coaching (and GM work since you are Beane's boss) from this point forward. Only crazy Bills fans would hold the other 17 years against you.

Why is that promising to you?

He views it as his team...history and all and is motivated to change it...He won't back away from the miserable recent past and say this wasn't on my watch.

I tend to like folks who view the challenge of a turnaround as exciting rather than something to push away. Personal preference I guess.

That being said -- all this is bull **** until the team starts winning consistently.

Edited by JoeF

And you know what?

Back to Cubs thing. Joe Maddon owned nothing. It was all in the past. Changed culture. That is why the ChiCubs broke free.

McD would be wise to do the same.

Yah, I'm not impressed with this "ownership" stuff.... You should own what YOU do... -Not somebody else's misdeeds..

Sounds like a guy trying to say what he thinks you want to hear...

Edited by #34fan

Yah, I'm not impressed with this "ownership" stuff.... You should own what YOU do... -Not somebody else's misdeeds..

Yep!

For sure, what ever route they take is now on him. I wonder if that is what he meant. Of course he will own it, but cross that bridge @ later date.

Series of articles linked on the TBD home page from the Syracuse Post are also worth the read. This Matthew Fairburn guy does a pretty darn good job.

Really promising to me that Coach McD owns this...

Fairburn has been doing some quality work for the last bunch of years. Honestly, I think it's better than a lot of what happens at TBN.

You know Cubs were only one swing away from losing it all on a walk-off.

We are totally in for some rough a sledding.

We'll see, but my biggest fear is they go 8-8 and completely whiff on what certainly looks to be the best "franchise QB"-potential QB draft class in many many years. That would be tragic and leaves them stuck in no-wheres-ville. They are just talented enough to complete hard, go 8-8 and thereby accomplish nothing on the field or in the draft room, then watch Sammy, et al leave in FA. We shall see. The next 12 months are not setting up very well right now.

How can you "tank the season, but with Honor"?

Edited by jmcraig44

Maybe, but I sort of like it.

17 years of losing is who we are. The coach must build on this and if he does, if he can even coach this football team to a wild card spot, this fan base will explode with glee. At this point, even some of our most rabid fans expect to lose. :(

It's all well and good, but everything I hear from Sean McDermott in the press just sounds to me like the new PR guy told him to just say the exact opposite of whatever Rex ever said on a topic.

Edited by jimmy10