Which players can the Bills not afford to lose to injury?

Taylor, McCoy, Watkins on offense. I'd say maybe an OL like Richie but I think OL is one area where Whaley did actually find some quality depth players. Groy played well in place of Wood last season and Dawkins seems like he can play every spot except center, and they seem to be working on having Ducasse get some work in at tackle just in case. But yeah, the three guys I mentioned are the guys that put the most points up, they need to be healthy because the options behind them aren't great. I'm excited for Zay Jones but he's still coming in as a rookie so, you never know what you're going to get until he starts playing.

Defensively, phew, mostly every starter, I hope, can stay healthy because they lack depth over there. I know McDermott has shown an ability to work with 2nd/3rd and rookie players but you definitely hope the front four can stay healthy. They don't do as well against the run without Dareus. Hughes should bounce back now that they're in the 4-3 and Lawson will hopefully make some noise this season. I don't doubt that Kyle will be consistent like he's pretty much always been.

They have a few experienced depth guys in the secondary but not many of them have been consistent starters over their career. Hopefully the group of Darby, White, Hyde and Poyer can stay healthy. Wright will probably earn the nickel spot and be the first man up should Darby or White get hurt. Behind Poyer and Hyde it's what, Colt Anderson? So, yeah. And you can make the case for Ragland to stay healthy but again, going back to the 4-3, that plays to Brown's strength and he has 3 years in as a full-time starter so, MLB I think will be OK either way. The other two LB spots can be iffy with the depth.

We shall see.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems it's the Bills luck to have key injuries either before the season or at some point early on in the season which has a significant impact on the Bills playoffs hopes. Last year, it was Reggie Ragland, Shaq Thompson (for most of the year) and Sammy Watkins.

Which players can the Bills not afford to lose to injury?

My choices are: Tyrod Taylor. If he goes down for significant amount of time, the Bills are toast. Without Taylor, the Bills are a 4-12 team (at best).

LeSean McCoy

Sammy Watkins

This one is hard to nail down, but I'll say more than one injury to the defensive front four. I think they could get away with one player being hurt as it seems like they have good depth at those positions, but any more than that, then there's problems.

Micah Hyde

1. Tyrod - no Brainer...we got nothing ready to play behind. QB touches the ball the most, without him they will put 8 in the box to stop McCoy. This could change if someone like Peterman makes a Russel Wilson type surprise rise during preseason, but I doubt anything like that happens, but you never know. Cardale is as good as gone IMO. Yates is useless.

2. McCoy - Unproven question marks behind him, and we are a run dominant team. Maybe J-Will steps into his own this year, but until then, we don't have anyone we can say can come close to filling his shoes if he goes down.

3. Micah Hyde - I mean we have nothing behind him, not even a good guy opposite him right now. Hopefully someone surprises in camp, but this is our weakest position.

4. Watkins - Normally I would move him high on this list, but I feel better about the young talent behind him this year than I have the last 2 years. It would really hurt to still lose him, but I feel like Zay and Holmes have a lot of upside.

5. Glenn - Losing anyone on the OL would hurt, but I had to roll with our best guy. If he went down, I think it weakens the whole line.

I'm still angry about Gillislee. The !@#$ing *kicker* has a 2,6 million cap hit

Udder nonsense to give him the tender that they did.

Yeah and again that's a different point. Who are the best players and who can they least afford to lose are different. That's why I used Incognito as an example. He's a great player (one of the Bills top 3 or 4) but if Groy filled in the record wouldn't be terribly different.

In general it's like the top 10 of the draft. QB followed by elite skill players, pass rushers and LT. Safety is an exception in the Bills case because they only have 1 NFL starter IMO. Other than that the Bills have some really good players and will have a drop off without them but not that will have a giant impact on the record.

Yeah, but, the OPs question is (to me) irrelevant.

Tyrod is the obvious choice...and I would hate to see it happen...but having Peterman start some games would definitely add some intrigue to the season.

After Tyrod, I'd go with Sammy.

I don't think we can win a game without McCoy

McCoy missed 5 games in the last 2 years and the Bills won 3 of them.

that's what is forgotten.

if we lose mccoy against he patriots or raiders, we probably aren't winning anyway

if we lose mccoy against the falcons or dolphins it won't impact the game much

we lose him against the colts or bengals we would struggle.

Tyrod is certainly #1 and should almost be excluded from the conversation. By the very nature of the position his loss will have, by far, the biggest impact.

I'd say after him (in order): Shady, Sammy, Hyde, Glenn, Clay and Hughes

Tyrod by a mile

McCoy

Sammy

And then I'd say any of the top three in both the secondary or pass rush

I'd pull clay off the list despite being a big gap between and TE2 because I don't think our qb utilizes him in a way that would make his loss near as insurmountable as Sammy or McCoy