Fireworks Factory Explosion in Mexico

TSNBDSC

I take it that was the Grand Finale?

Remember when Ron Jaworski Stadium lit up like a Christmas tree? My wife was at that event. When everything started going, they all started clapping thinking it was the grand finale. Ooops, a few seconds things were not quite right. That event still haunts her today and is petrified of fireworks.

Anyway... Speaking of fireworks... Navy Pier is having their weekly Wednesday night show right now. They launch from barges outside the lock, on The Lake. USCG Sector Lake Michigan is enforcing a safety zone as we speak from 21:15 to 22:00 CDT... Broadcast on channel 16 & 22. Lots more safety nowadays.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Remember when Ron Jaworski Stadium lit up like a Christmas tree? My wife was at that event. When everything started going, they all started clapping thinking it was the grand finale. Ooops, a few seconds things were not quite right. That event still haunts her today and is petrified of fireworks.

Anyway... Speaking of fireworks... Navy Pier is having their weekly Wednesday night show right now. They launch from barges outside the lock, on The Lake. USCG Sector Lake Michigan is enforcing a safety zone as we speak from 21:15 to 22:00 CDT... Broadcast on channel 16 & 22. Lots more safety nowadays.

Actually, I don't even know what your talking about (while I should it seems), and I should not make light of a tragedy. I didn't do the whole thing, but I'm sure it ended very badly for some. I get where your wife is coming from. I was at The Who concert in Cincinnati where people died. I think I used to like the music, but if it comes on now I change the station.

Actually, I don't even know what your talking about (while I should it seems), and I should not make light of a tragedy. I didn't do the whole thing, but I'm sure it ended very badly for some. I get where your wife is coming from. I was at The Who concert in Cincinnati where people died. I think I used to like the music, but if it comes on now I change the station.

Oops sorry. Did you grow up in WNY? Big fireworks accident in Lackawanna back in day. The guy controlling them was killed.

On the topic of explosions. You know what would make all this look like child's play? If the barges that come through the inland waterways ever lit. Each one holds about 3,200 tons of product. 6,400 tons of ammonium nitrate and say fuel oil would double the Texas City disaster of 1947.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

...And the crazy pleasure boats get all bent when they can't lock, share the chamber with say two of these "red flag" barges. Like they would prefer them sitting on wall waiting for lock turn like a ticking timebomb or worse, join them. You never know what some clown will do, you see the same ones smoking and fueling. A bilge explodes on a pleasure craft while its buried in the lock chamber next to these barges? It may get ugly fast.

If something goes up under our current safety rules, all I got to worry about is my co-worker & the pilot/captain and his crew. Bad news, deckhands would be the instant goners. Us on the wall might have a fighting chance if we were a 1,000' away & maybe in a brick building. Who am kidding, 1/2 the surrounding neighborhood would feel the explosion.

Should I feel a bit at ease that we are not "Mexico?"

Oops sorry. Did you grow up in WNY? Big fireworks accident in Lackawanna back in day. The guy controlling them was killed.

Yeah, I grew up in WNY, but left pretty much for good in '77. I don't remember that event at all.