Vacationing in NY

section122

The Catskill Game Farm!

:cry:

You can stay in Queensbury/Glens Falls for less money and be nearly equidistant from both locations (~10 miles south of LG; ~15 miles north of Saratoga).

On the other hand, they'd be closer to you. Win some/lose some.

Fergs, pick me up and let's go party with Teef!

Not if you're gone wear that mesh Speedo again

I'm in, mesh Speedo optional.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

section 122, for Maine, I'd recommend Bar Harbor. Beautiful place, lobster dinner way cheaper than anywhere in the country,

lots of great outdoor places to see, hike, whatever.

Another place on your list I'd recommend, Thousand Islands. Boat tours, beautiful country, great restaurants in Clayton, Alex Bay,

Ogdensburg,. Drive up to Messena for the Eisenhour locks, the islands in the St Lawrence are worth the trip alone.

Good luck at whatever U choose.

Did you get to see the Eisenhower Locks in Massena? ;-) ;-)

We did The Soo last year. I was like a kid in a candy shop! He he ;-) :-)

If you would have went through Niagara Falls the following year (1969) you would have caught them stopping the American Falls.

Niagara Falls shut off & dewatered (1969):

Amfallsdewatered1.jpg

Saw both the locks in 68 and the dewatered Fall in 69..

Wow-- those things are still standing strong. I don't think there's been any erosion of sorts too.

As a hydrographic surveyor, part of my job was QA/inspection. Making sure the armor stone was dropped in water (off the barges) "right." They just didn't dump stone in water willy nilly. Each one is built on a pyramid base of three others, and so on... We'd survey while checking for "voids" or misplaced armor stone.

I think the Presque Isle, PA project won engineering awards and is the vanguard design for other beach erosion projects throughout the world.

Back in 1990 it was a two part plan. Build the mounds parallel to beaches along a "dotted" line. Part two was to nourish the beaches with sand, like they have always done season after season to keep Presque Isle from disappearing. Truck it in or hydraulically dredge from out on the open Lake and hrydaulically pipe the water/sand slurry back onto the beaches. Once completed, the mounds the way they are now, the beaches are almost "self nourishing." On some beaches you can walk out onto the armor stone mounds without getting your feet feet wet!

Pretty brilliant, creates a breakwater from storm destruction of Presque Isle while channeling sand up between them. Kinda like how we use "wing dams" on rivers like the Upper Mississippi to stablize the navigation channel keeping dredging operations down.

For years prior, sheet piling groins were installed perpendicular to the beach shore @ varying intervals, this helped to slow destruction of Presque Isle, but the beaches had to me mechanically nourished every year since the sand was deposited perpendicular at those various intervals and in most cases carried out to the open Lake. Almost like wiping your azz halfway... ;-) Good, but not good enough and expensive beach nourishment still had to be done routinely.

Now... The beaches are nourished parallel along the channel between the mounds and the shore w/minimal mechanical beach nourishment having to be done seasonally. Like I previously mentioned sand is even built up from shore to the stone mounds.

"Presque" means "not quite" in French. One of the great natural harbors on the Great Lakes! Its destruction from erosion was always an ongoing battle. The USACE has been there to keep it from becoming just "the Isle". I like to think Commodore Perry would be impressed at how his harbor is being saved and how much less work it has become because of the modern design systems put in place. Let the winter storms do the hard work and nourish the beaches for us, not tear it to shreads!

:-) :-)

We looked hard at Maine and even reached out to their travel office but didn't get much help we will definitely look into this!

Please let me know how it goes! With so many recommendations for Lake George it has moved to the front of the list. I have a college buddy from Glens Falls so that might even be a perfect home base so Saratoga and Lake George can happen.

Not a chance. 60s are shorts and t-shirt weather!

Ithaca is only about 35 minutes from me so we do a lot of day trips there. In the fall I ref High School Soccer in that area so I spend a lot of time there. I hate the idea of paying for a room that close to home. I'd rather just sleep in my own bed (yes I'm cheap :bag: )

I live in the Finger Lakes and we do many a wine tour as well. This summer we will be doing a brewery tour as many have started to pop up on the wine trails. Do you care to share your list? If it is extensive I can pm you my email address.

Hey honey we are gonna have some guests over tonight. Yeah I know him, well we talk on that football board you say I spend too much time on. Yeah he's from my hometown we know a lot of the same people. He's friends with Fitz.

and then I get disinvited :lol:;)

Sesame Place was on the list but we didn't know what else was around and neither of us were pumped about the idea of 3 days with Elmo. Thank you for this though as it might make the trip more worth it!

PM me your email address and I will be happy to send it to you.

Have fun in LG...Gugny and I are right down the road. Hammersticks is just over the border.

Leave a message in this thread if you get arrested and need help.

how far are you guys from canada & whatever state is to the east?

i know about where mead is off the top of my head. i think i remember a map when trying to figure out where gug lived years ago and know you're not far.

after finally getting all through this thread its amazing how little i've seen of ny. though, i only lived there a short while. i know brockport well and that's about it. well, mostly the north side of bport near the hopsital and what was the protectives first district

i know about where mead is off the top of my head. i think i remember a map when trying to figure out where gug lived years ago and know you're not far.

I think Fergy is Mohawk Valley... Is that right?... Amsterdam, Utica/Rome?

after finally getting all through this thread its amazing how little i've seen of ny. though, i only lived there a short while. i know brockport well and that's about it. well, mostly the north side of bport near the hopsital and what was the protectives first district

It's one of the prettiest states!

You were up in Brockport right... That is off the Niagara Escarpment... The rest of state is so much more diverse!

I think Fergy is Mohawk Valley... Is that right?... Amsterdam, Utica/Rome?

It's one of the prettiest states!

You were up in Brockport right... That is off the Niagara Escarpment... The rest of state is so much more diverse!

its where i was born and my family has a legacy up there. luckily no one knows me up there :D

People I know will tell me they went to the Adirondacks. I ask where and they'll say Old Forge. Well, technically they were in the ADK, but that's like someone saying they went to NYC and only went as close as Newark.

This is the map I have on my wall of the ADK. It's about 3 feet by 3 feet.....

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/adkmap.pdf

People I know will tell me they went to the Adirondacks. I ask where and they'll say Old Forge. Well, technically they were in the ADK, but that's like someone saying they went to NYC and only went as close as Newark.

I agree, here in Midwest, Northwoods is Wisconsin, Minnesota and The Arrowhead. It would be like people saying they only reached Wisconsin Dells or Baraboo.

Gotta go deeper in. We used to take canoe trips as a Scout every year. Either outside Algonquin Park Ontario or ADK. ADK was Long Lake to Tupper via the Raquette/Cold River. Axton Landing is were I met my first leech while swimming! :-(

Oh... Nice map download!!!! Thanx!!!

we may be in lake George next week for a day and on the tour boat with R Rich and his wife next week

Wanna do lunch at the Log Jam?

But Old Forge is in the Adirondacks. Newark is not in NYC, let alone NY state. I don't understand your analogy.

Canada is about 2 hours north. Vermont is two miles east of me. Mead is a city boy.

Canada is about 2 hours north. Vermont is two miles east of me. Mead is a city boy.

So you're county lawyer?

Words of wisdom (will be posted there too):

"Well, don't trust your soul to no backwoods Northern lawyer."

*Quote change to fit the geography @ hand.

You just got your 3O seconds back and +10.

:-)