Preseason Performance and Expectations?

H2o

Tis the season for hypotheticals around here since there is no action on the field. So what will be the mood if the team puts up a goose egg in the preseason? I know that most people don't put any stock into it, as they shouldn't, but an 0'for wouldn't be very inspiring. What if Tyrod struggles like he reportedly did most of camp? What if the LB group looks like it couldn't cover a gas grill in the rain? What if the toasting, and I'm not talking about one that comes with a speech and a wine glass, of Darby continues? How quickly would the doom and gloom set in on this board if these things were to come to pass? Will this place implode before week one?

Personally, I expect us to be better than some might think. I expect the defense to be much improved over last year. I expect Tyrod to be a decent game manager type. I expect us to lead the league in rushing again. I expect the WR group to be much better this year from top to bottom over last. I expect all of these things no matter what happens in the preseason, but a lackluster 4 weeks wouldn't inspire much hope for sure. What would be your mood if they didn't seem to click at all in the meaningless games?

I just want to see mental improvements...in assignments, in demeanor, etc.To me, thats the biggest, and most needed improvement of all. If McD can change that, we can be a more successful team with a chance at performing better

Don't get hurt.

With this new rule that teams can keep all 387 players til the single cutdown day, I wonder what -if anything we'll actually see in preseason games. With an entirely new coaching staff with new schemes on O & D, why show anybody anything. Spring who we are on the Jets in the Opener and let the League try to figure it out then. I sure hope no starters play the final PS game..

Don't get hurt.

This^^^

Performance isn't something that concerns me. It would be nice to see the young guys develop some but health is infinitely more important.

I agree with these comments.

Yes I would like to see some touchdowns, especially by the first unit, but it more about seeing how prepared these players are.

I want to see a more disciplined team. Hope the running game stays as effective as it's been. A healthy Sammy Watkins would be beautiful. When I say healthy I mean 10 or more games Unfortunately. Little leary of our safety depth. Unsung hero goes to Gerald Hodges. I think he's our Zach Brown this year. I think 9-7 is doable. 10-6 isn't impossible.

Expectations that would be necessary to appease this fanbase? I'd say: 35 points scored by the first team offense each game, 7 sacks per game from the first team defense per game, 14 points scored by the backups, 5 sacks from the backups and at least 3 interceptions from the first and second team defenses.

Anything less than that and the season will be lost and the front page will be overrun with 2018 mock drafts.

I hope McCoy does not play a single down this preseason.

There is no reason for Tyrod, Clay, Glenn or Watkins to see a snap either. If any of those 5 get hurt the offense is in big trouble. Defensively they have okay depth outside of DE & S. They can't lose their best guys but have some NFL quality reserves at DT, LB and CB.

With this new rule that teams can keep all 387 players til the single cutdown day, I wonder what -if anything we'll actually see in preseason games. With an entirely new coaching staff with new schemes on O & D, why show anybody anything. Spring who we are on the Jets in the Opener and let the League try to figure it out then. I sure hope no starters play the final PS game..

I would only agree to this if as a team they are actually ready to play in game one.

Rex didn't play the guys last year and game #1 instead of teams not knowing what was going on - they were grossly unprepared to play in game 1.

I am guessing McDermott plays the guys more early to build the teamwork and make sure they are ready. He does not seem like an underprepared type of coach.

Its hard to determine how well a team is executing plays going against your own players in my humble opinion.

Rex screwed us by getting the Bills off to a slow start last season in my opinion.

with all due respect Chandler#81

I want to see Tyrod throwing timing routes, going through progressions, and showing growth. He should being that he is already familiar with the system. I want to see the LB's in coverage on 3rd downs. I want to see that front 4 wreak havoc. We shall see.

I want to see Tyrod throwing timing routes, going through progressions, and showing growth. He should being that he is already familiar with the system. I want to see the LB's in coverage on 3rd downs. I want to see that front 4 wreak havoc. We shall see.

As do I,

The word is already out, contain Taylor and keep him from breaking the pocket and he struggles.

Its important Tyrod Taylor changes this league perception IMO.