Chiefs Extend Andy Reid and Part Ways with GM Dorsey

The rumors were that Reid saw similarities to a young Brett Favre and became enamored with Mahomes

Key word there is rumors...hard to say what is real and not in that area. Again, I am only stating my opinion, I have no facts or evidence to suggest my opinion is accurate.

I just find it hard to believe a HC who has never won a SB would prefer to forego trying to win now with a 12 win team that won the division and made a serious SB push this year for a QB that likely is going to be a few years out before they really know what they have in him. I fully accept I can be completely wrong, just my opinion.

I think the more likely scenario is that he liked Mahome's enough to support the trade, but probably wasn't his preference. If it was Reid's decision alone, I do wonder if he makes that trade over taking 2 players in this deep draft to fill needs and holes that their cap situation created for them so they can go after another SB run this year, not to mention another first next year.

Truthfully, we will likely never know for sure because Reid is never going to say anything but positive statements regardless of his stance on Mahomes because the kid is now his QB of the future regardless. But I do find it interesting the GM is now fired...could be just because of the cap issues, but wondering if Reid and the team were also frustrated with the gamble they just took over trying to get over the top with what was a pretty good football team.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NeckBeard

Key word there is rumors...hard to say what is real and not in that area. Again, I am only stating my opinion, I have no facts or evidence to suggest my opinion is accurate.

I just find it hard to believe a HC who has never won a SB would prefer to forego trying to win now with a 12 win team that won the division and made a serious SB push this year for a QB that likely is going to be a few years out before they really know what they have in him. I fully accept I can be completely wrong, just my opinion.

I think the more likely scenario is that he liked Mahome's enough to support the trade, but probably wasn't his preference. If it was Reid's decision alone, I do wonder if he makes that trade over taking 2 players in this deep draft to fill needs and holes that their cap situation created for them so they can go after another SB run this year, not to mention another first next year.

Truthfully, we will likely never know for sure because Reid is never going to say anything but positive statements regardless of his stance on Mahomes because the kid is now his QB of the future regardless. But I do find it interesting the GM is now fired...could be just because of the cap issues, but wondering if Reid and the team were also frustrated with the gamble they just took over trying to get over the top with what was a pretty good football team.

To your points, I, like you, am speculating as well. In my opinion, Reid rolled the dice here, and since he's had more success in KC than the last couple of regimes, and he's consolidated power, he is aware that the 2-3 years it would take his future QB to develop would buy him enough runway to pull it off.

Reid is NOT a short term "win now" coach. He is safe in KC for the long term. I just cannot believe a Reid team would trade up that big for a QB unless it was HIS guy. Everything about Andy Reid tells me he is the kind of guy who would walk out should that happen. He would coast into another job no problem.

Reid is NOT a short term "win now" coach. He is safe in KC for the long term. I just cannot believe a Reid team would trade up that big for a QB unless it was HIS guy. Everything about Andy Reid tells me he is the kind of guy who would walk out should that happen. He would coast into another job no problem.

.....have to agree GB.....Andy knows what he wants, calls the shots and gets what HE wants.....but if he wins the argument(s), there is more to Dorsey firing.....Pioli didn't last there long either, fired on the same day Andy was hired and he brought in his boy Dorsey from GB BUT Reid reported directly to Hunt...hardly an ideal situation but Reid is at the controls and said time for Dorsey to pack IMO........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

You gotta do what you gotta do.

When you're incompetent, you might say or do whatever it takes to hold onto your job. Unfortunately for Doug, I think most owners would prefer a GM with the confidence/competence to share his own honest analysis, rather than playing yes man extraordinaire to keep the charade going.

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports ex-Chiefs GM John Dorsey was "butting heads" with owner Clark Hunt.

Per Cole, that's what Dorsey "told a source within the past two months." No reason was given, but USA Today reported earlier Thursday the team believed Dorsey botched long-term negotiations with Justin Houston and Eric Berry. Dorsey has been an excellent drafter, though coach Andy Reid is an influence in every department of Chiefs personnel. A pair of Reid loyalists are amongst the in-house candidates expected to interview to replace Dorsey.
Jun 22 - 9:39 PM

Dorsey didn't wear enough Hawaiian shirts

...think this means WHO carries the "big stick"?.....a/k/a yes sir Mr.Reid...........

..."A pair of Reid loyalists are amongst the in-house candidates expected to interview to replace Dorsey..."

Absolutely. There is no reason to believe that Andy Reid wasn't call in the shots in the draft.

To your points, I, like you, am speculating as well. In my opinion, Reid rolled the dice here, and since he's had more success in KC than the last couple of regimes, and he's consolidated power, he is aware that the 2-3 years it would take his future QB to develop would buy him enough runway to pull it off.

Very well could be the case. One thing though is that the NFL is nicknamed "Not For Long" for a reason, and no coach is safe, not even Andy who was an icon in Philly and still got fired. The more important use of the "Not For Long" nickname to me though is referencing the windows to compete. Not many teams stay in contention year after year, its not an easy thing to do anymore with FA and stuff. So its a big gamble still IMO for even a guy like Reid.

Regardless of who was behind the trade up for Mahomes, I see it as a gamble that wasn't worth taking. Its a great spot for Mahomes himself, but its a bad spot for KC in my opinion. The odds of the roster overall being as strong as it is now in 3 years are probably low. You got dangerous ascending teams in Raiders and Broncos. You got a bad cap situation costing the Chiefs talent. They just lost 3 high draft assets over the next 2 years to take him. Over the next 3 years they are in great danger of falling to 3rd in that division, and even last if SD hits on some of their young guys.

Is Mahomes going to be good enough to over come all that? Thats a big question and one I don't know many would take with a 12-4 Roster worth of challenging now.

Belichick is awesome at press conferences. That stuff is completely meaningless.

And Whaley has been a lot more classier since he got fired than I would be. But since most NFL people view the Bills organization as a joke, I'm guessing he will get another chance.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Its sad but The Bills organization really is laughed at nationwide

Talk about speculation....

Lol, was it somehow confusing that it wasn't? I mean I literally said over and over its my personal opinion, just like everyone else is speculating and sharing their own opinion. The only facts we know are that the GM is fired...and we are discussing/speculating on the impacting factors.

Except that he's under contract. But I agree that it's unlikely the team went against Reid's wishes in trading up for Mahomes. Edited by mannc