Do you use at work what you learned in school?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was a psych major, had to take another specific core, and then just took courses i thought were interesting. i don't know why anyone would major in psych unless they planned on going back to school.

jug band manager.

Oops...

Apply psychology to your co-workers... You are Personnnel's right hand man in w/conflict resolution! ;-)

Accounting is a great sell-out major for university, can always fall back on it if your visual arts career doesn't quite get off the ground.

You are selling-out on the brains that might have studied engineering or a real science, but unless you were in the top 1% you wouldn't be moving on and would be torturing yourself your whole undergrad.

As an engineer, I used most of what I learned in school, except Calculus. OK, technically I used Calculus concepts with respect to PID control systems, but even then I never had to take a derivative or an integral or solve a differential equation - I just had to know that derivative means instantaneous slope and integral is a summation.

I tell my engineering students that algebra and trig only solve 99.99% of the problems; for the rest, you need Calculus.

did a little work with the guys before they passed, (i think bob is still alive).

I would rather of had Bob go and Jerry stayed.

a co-worker started raving a bit too much about Siri, I found out a few days later his wife had left him to start a nasty divorce.

Siri....that B word!!!

i was a psych major, had to take another specific core, and then just took courses i thought were interesting. i don't know why anyone would major in psych unless they planned on going back to school.

Yup. Undergrad was in psychology. That degree and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Masters and doctorate in educational psychology. Now I'm an educational psychologist. Yay! I did minor in bong hits and chasing tail.

I would rather of had Bob go and Jerry stayed.

Siri....that B word!!!

it seemed a bit weird how he talked about it for a whole hour at lunch. I didn't even know what it was at the time...

Yup. Undergrad was in psychology. That degree and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Masters and doctorate in educational psychology. Now I'm an educational psychologist. Yay! I did minor in bong hits and chasing tail.

my wife is a school psychologist actually. i enjoyed the discipline of psych. i had to take a core of bio, chem, organic chem, physics etc as well, but i knew i couldn't just walk out with a psych degree.

Edited by teef

jug band manager.

:huh:

So if some chick w/ a huge rack is strapping an ace bandage across those puppies to look less feminine; you make that happen? :unsure:

Can't see a lot of demand for it, but imagine there probably are some good perks w/ it. Where'd you go to grad school to pick up those "skills?"

yes, STEM university studies have a good likelihood of getting you a job in their fields...

when they tried to shoehorn it into STEAM (for arts....) it was denying the obvious...

when i'm introduced to a student i ask if they like math

when they make a face and say they hate it, i think "there goes about 95% of the useful and enjoyable jobs for you..."

That's just stupid interviewing skills, hell if they asked me if i liked beating puppies and kittens i'd come up with a non-committal response so as to not shut those doors on me.

yes, STEM university studies have a good likelihood of getting you a job in their fields...

when they tried to shoehorn it into STEAM (for arts....) it was denying the obvious...

when i'm introduced to a student i ask if they like math

when they make a face and say they hate it, i think "there goes about 95% of the useful and enjoyable jobs for you..."

That's just stupid interviewing skills, hell if they asked me if i liked beating puppies and kittens i'd come up with a non-committal response so as to not shut those doors on me.

sorry, I meant i ask kids from the age of 6 to 15 if they like math at school

and also try to get the engineering field of study into their minds, their surroundings may be too stupid to know it exists...

:huh:

So if some chick w/ a huge rack is strapping an ace bandage across those puppies to look less feminine; you make that happen? :unsure:

Can't see a lot of demand for it, but imagine there probably are some good perks w/ it. Where'd you go to grad school to pick up those "skills?"

The university of amazing.

How often would I be required to kill puppies and kittens and is there a quota I need to reach?

I graduated in '85 with an econ degree, have been working retail support and e-commerce for the past 15 years, e-commerce didn't exist in '85, never done a day's work putting my econ degree to use

Econ major as well. Work in the medical field where I've never used it too